Threatening an atheist with hell is like ...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-01-2016, 01:17 AM
RE: Threatening an atheist with hell is like ...
(05-01-2016 03:15 PM)theophilus Wrote:  We aren't threatening you. We are trying to warn you so you won't end up there.

Ah, but what if scaring people in such a manner guarantees that you go there, for the crime of disturbing someone's peace of mind?

And why in tarnation are you even worshipping a god that would create a hell? Don't you trust your god to be a reasonable enough chap to not torture people?

Theophilus, your so-called "warning" suggests the following things about you and your beliefs:
  • You do indeed believe in a place of eternal torment.
  • You believe in an evil god, although you quite possibly do Olympic-class gymnastics to redefine that evil as "holy," or something equally silly.
  • You believe that eternal torture is a reasonable fate for people who don't believe as you do. This is the real problem: Regardless of whether or not your god exists, you think we should be tortured for not buying into your delusion.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like Astreja's post
06-01-2016, 08:50 AM
(06-01-2016 01:17 AM)Astreja Wrote:  Ah, but what if scaring people in such a manner guarantees that you go there, for the crime of disturbing someone's peace of mind?

Is disturbing someone's peace of mind necessarily a crime? When someone believes something that is false, disturbing his peace of mind can be the first step in getting him to see the truth.

Quote:And why in tarnation are you even worshipping a god that would create a hell? Don't you trust your god to be a reasonable enough chap to not torture people?

I worship him because he exists. I also believe he is wiser than I am. If he thinks a Hell is necessary then he must be right. My opinion on the subject is irrelevant.

The information in ancient libraries came from real minds of real people. The far more complex information in cells came from the far more intelligent mind of God.
06-01-2016, 08:54 AM
(06-01-2016 08:50 AM)theophilus Wrote:  
(06-01-2016 01:17 AM)Astreja Wrote:  Ah, but what if scaring people in such a manner guarantees that you go there, for the crime of disturbing someone's peace of mind?

Is disturbing someone's peace of mind necessarily a crime? When someone believes something that is false, disturbing his peace of mind can be the first step in getting him to see the truth.

Quote:And why in tarnation are you even worshipping a god that would create a hell? Don't you trust your god to be a reasonable enough chap to not torture people?

I worship him because he exists. I also believe he is wiser than I am. If he thinks a Hell is necessary then he must be right. My opinion on the subject is irrelevant.

No proof of this things existence and no proof of any of those characteristics of this thing (him?) how would you know it's gender?

Your opinion is irrelevant. Agreed. Thumbsup

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
Find all posts by this user
06-01-2016, 08:58 AM
(06-01-2016 08:50 AM)theophilus Wrote:  I worship him because he exists.

Setting aside the total lack of credible evidence to support that assertion, existence would be insufficient to deserve worship.

Quote:I also believe he is wiser than I am. If he thinks a Hell is necessary then he must be right. My opinion on the subject is irrelevant.

That's perhaps one of the most pathetically sad things about religion. I will never understand why believers are so proud of grovelling.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 4 users Like unfogged's post
06-01-2016, 09:12 AM
(06-01-2016 08:50 AM)theophilus Wrote:  ----
---
---

And yet, you continue to suspend your own disbelief... blindly following whatever will help to alleviate your crushing fear of the transitory nature of our species.

We die, our consciousness discontinues, it isn't that difficult to grasp.

Worrying how others think about death wastes time better spent living. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
06-01-2016, 10:58 AM
(06-01-2016 08:50 AM)theophilus Wrote:  Is disturbing someone's peace of mind necessarily a crime? When someone believes something that is false, disturbing his peace of mind can be the first step in getting him to see the truth.

Something false like an imaginary deity that can't interact with people or do anything meaningful?
Stop earthquakes? Tsunamis? Hurricanes? Tornados?
Stop AIDS? Cancer? Poverty? War?

(06-01-2016 08:50 AM)theophilus Wrote:  I worship him because he exists.

Evidence?

(06-01-2016 08:50 AM)theophilus Wrote:  I also believe he is wiser than I am. If he thinks a Hell is necessary then he must be right. My opinion on the subject is irrelevant.

Under that logic, how can you criticize the suicide bombers and anyone who murders in the name of god? Under that logic, "god is great" justifies any atrocity.

What earthly crime would justify an eternity of ultimate suffering? Think about that for a while. Maximum suffering, for-EVER. Not a lifetime, not a century, not a millennia. Eternity. And no chance of redemption, no escape.

And your omnipotent deity knew what would happen before the universe was created. So he knew ahead of time that he was going to be torturing people like that.

This is your god?

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 1 user Likes Fatbaldhobbit's post
06-01-2016, 12:47 PM
(06-01-2016 08:50 AM)theophilus Wrote:  Is disturbing someone's peace of mind necessarily a crime? When someone believes something that is false, disturbing his peace of mind can be the first step in getting him to see the truth.

So you think you can do a better job of enlightening people than your supposed god, O Mortal? *glower* I. Think. Not.

If what you are telling people is not the truth, and if it causes them any emotional distress whatsoever, you have committed a grievous harm by uttering threats and must bear full responsibility for the pain you have caused them.

Quite frankly, I think the lot of you "Believe-or-burn" folks should have to demonstrate empirically in a court of law that your claims of hell are true. When you fail, you should then be forced to pay the full cost of psychological care for the people you torture with your sick beliefs.

Plus hefty punitive damages, too.

Triple damages if you do it to a child, plus life imprisonment.
[+] 5 users Like Astreja's post
07-01-2016, 08:26 AM
(06-01-2016 10:58 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  What earthly crime would justify an eternity of ultimate suffering?

No earthly crime would justify such suffering but the greatest commandment is to love God will all our mind and strength. Failure to do this is an offense against at eternal God and calls for eternal punishment. All of the lesser crimes we commit are the results of our failure to love God as we should.

The information in ancient libraries came from real minds of real people. The far more complex information in cells came from the far more intelligent mind of God.
07-01-2016, 09:14 AM
(07-01-2016 08:26 AM)theophilus Wrote:  
(06-01-2016 10:58 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  What earthly crime would justify an eternity of ultimate suffering?

No earthly crime would justify such suffering but the greatest commandment is to love God will all our mind and strength. Failure to do this is an offense against at eternal God and calls for eternal punishment. All of the lesser crimes we commit are the results of our failure to love God as we should.

Creating something and then ordering it to love you or be tortured forever demonstrates some deep-seated insecurities, if not outright insanity.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 5 users Like unfogged's post
07-01-2016, 09:26 AM
(07-01-2016 08:26 AM)theophilus Wrote:  

Your god:

[Image: pejac-paris-5.jpg]

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition