Threatening an atheist with hell is like ...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-01-2016, 10:10 AM
RE: Threatening an atheist with hell is like ...
(07-01-2016 08:26 AM)theophilus Wrote:  No earthly crime would justify such suffering but the greatest commandment is to love God will all our mind and strength. Failure to do this is an offense against at eternal God and calls for eternal punishment. All of the lesser crimes we commit are the results of our failure to love God as we should.

Love that has to be demanded is not love in any meaningful sense of the word.

And a god that can be immortally wounded by the thought-crimes of mortals, so much so that it feels compelled to torture them for not being able to get their emotions in line with what it thinks they should feel, is so pathetically impotent that it deserves no worship and no respect.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like Astreja's post
07-01-2016, 10:46 AM
(07-01-2016 10:10 AM)Astreja Wrote:  
(07-01-2016 08:26 AM)theophilus Wrote:  No earthly crime would justify such suffering but the greatest commandment is to love God will all our mind and strength. Failure to do this is an offense against at eternal God and calls for eternal punishment. All of the lesser crimes we commit are the results of our failure to love God as we should.

Love that has to be demanded is not love in any meaningful sense of the word.

And a god that can be immortally wounded by the thought-crimes of mortals, so much so that it feels compelled to torture them for not being able to get their emotions in line with what it thinks they should feel, is so pathetically impotent that it deserves no worship and no respect.

This god sets up a system where most of the people he allegedly created go to eternal torment. This was the system that this god deliberately designed that way, so it's intent is to torture people for eternity, but for some reason this god will follow the rules written by an ancient people thousands of years ago. Why would this book be considered an accurate account of this god? Because the book says so?

Even if these people were accurately writing what god told them, why should we believe what this god told them? Because the book says to?

Even if we accept this god exists and it actually communicated through a book. There's still no reason to believe the book, or this god.

[Image: circular_reasoning.gif]

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
Find all posts by this user
07-01-2016, 11:49 AM
(05-01-2016 03:15 PM)theophilus Wrote:  We aren't threatening you. We are trying to warn you so you won't end up there.
You have warning vs threatening confused.

To use the traffic example theists like to use sometimes:

Warning:
I tell you not to run out into the road because you might get hit by a car.
I didn't create the road. I didn't create the cars on the road. They're "just there". I have no control over them.

Threatening:
I create a road. Then I create cars to drive on that road. Then I tell you if you don't do what I say I'll push you out into oncoming traffic.

See the difference?

[Image: fdyq20.jpg]
[+] 3 users Like LostLocke's post
07-01-2016, 12:26 PM
(07-01-2016 08:26 AM)theophilus Wrote:  
(06-01-2016 10:58 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  What earthly crime would justify an eternity of ultimate suffering?

No earthly crime would justify such suffering but the greatest commandment is to love God will all our mind and strength. Failure to do this is an offense against at eternal God and calls for eternal punishment.

You have a very fucked up idea of love:
[Image: tKGtOla_zpsqwgwtkp9.jpg]

What happened to:
Quote:1 Corinthians 13
If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 2 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
07-01-2016, 04:11 PM
[Image: Disciple%20of%20Cthulu_zpsvtqxkrqy.gif]

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
07-01-2016, 04:12 PM
"Hell is other robots."
-- B. B. Rodriguez

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 1 user Likes Old Man Marsh's post
07-01-2016, 04:14 PM
(07-01-2016 04:11 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  [Image: Disciple%20of%20Cthulu_zpsvtqxkrqy.gif]

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

[+] 2 users Like Old Man Marsh's post
10-01-2016, 11:14 AM
(07-01-2016 08:26 AM)theophilus Wrote:  
(06-01-2016 10:58 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  What earthly crime would justify an eternity of ultimate suffering?

No earthly crime would justify such suffering but the greatest commandment is to love God will all our mind and strength. Failure to do this is an offense against at eternal God and calls for eternal punishment. All of the lesser crimes we commit are the results of our failure to love God as we should.

No. Your God is unjust and a monster.

Love is earned. It is a response to values and actions. It cannot be commanded. Any God whose actions are to eternally torment any being, sentient or non, has shown actions that are worthy of repugnance and scorn.

Any JUST being knows that if it is not loved the correct action is to either amend its actions or to simply move on and accept rejection. Any sane being would do this. Tormenting something for not loving a being only justifies the lack of love. The tormented is justified, the tormentor is a bully unworthy of our pity or affection.
[+] 8 users Like natachan's post
11-01-2016, 07:57 AM
... like threatening a piece of cheese with Mickey Mouse.

[+] 2 users Like Old Man Marsh's post