Threats of damnation - "you're gonna go to hell"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-03-2017, 02:08 PM
RE: Threats of damnation - "you're gonna go to hell"
(03-03-2017 01:40 PM)kim Wrote:  I hear that Abrahamic god was a total dick when it cames to water sports on the sabbath. I think that was the last straw for jesus - the water walking trick was cute but hey, it was Saturday - he knew the rules!
Laugh out load

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
03-03-2017, 02:55 PM
"You're gonna go to hell" Really? Provide evidence of hell and while you're doing that what happened to "Judge not lest ye be judged" . Guess you skipped over that part when you were cherry picking through the bible. Asshole.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
03-03-2017, 04:12 PM
As a boy growing up in Virginia we had what were called blue laws which forced businesses to close on Sunday. My dad used to take me golfing and he would give me @2.00 for being his caddy. Then I would want to go and get a model to build at the hobby shop and it would always be closed because of these laws. But the laws didn't apply to all business. Grocery stores and pharmacies and a few others could be open on a Sunday so they were very arbitrary.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
03-03-2017, 04:19 PM
(03-03-2017 10:04 AM)Norm Deplume Wrote:  It is typical of the mindset of the 'righteous' that it is not enough to deny themselves access to facilities once a week, they have to forbid everyone else from following their own preferences. It is almost ironic that the Free Church prevents free actions for non-members.

At least there is the opportunity to vote some of them out on May 4.

For some reason, chocolate is often "sacrificed" for Lent by the devout. I like to carry some kind of chocolate candy around with me during this time. When they piously proclaim their chocolate "sacrifice", I like to casually take out the candy and eat it in front of them, without saying a word.

I've also been known to do the "Mommy" thing of licking a napkin and making a motion like I'm going to wipe the ash from their forehead, muttering something like "you missed a spot at lunch" or some such. (I never actually wipe it off.) When they gasp, back up in horror and sputter that they're Catholic, and it's a blessing for Ash Wed., I look at them incredulously and ask what year it is.

Ah, irrational xtian fundamentalism can be ever so entertaining...

Disappointing theists since 1968
[+] 4 users Like A. Secular Human's post
08-03-2017, 12:42 AM
(02-03-2017 12:37 PM)Silly Deity Wrote:  So in the far north west of the British Isles lies an island archipelago called the Outer Hebrides or Western Isles. They are remote and stunningly beautiful islands, but the northern islands in the chain are blighted by a particular form of strict Calvinism in the shape of the Free Church of Scotland notorious for its strict observance of the Sabbath.

Because a significant number of local councillors are "Wee Frees" this sabbatarianism manifests itself in a variety of ways. Shops are routinely closed and until recently there were no ferry services to the mainland of Scotland on a Sunday. It also means that parks and public buildings are closed.

[Image: 872e0f3729bd7c81761aeb02cfb141ab62b6dbed...bf8b4f.jpg]

Bear in mind that at the time of the 2001 Census, only 42% of the population of the islands identified themselves as being affiliated with the Church of Scotland, with 13% Roman Catholic and a mere 28% with other Christian churches. Many of this last group belong to the Free Church of Scotland. Nevertheless the latter is a powerful force on the island.

One community facility which remains closed on a Sunday is the indoor swimming pool in the island capital Stornoway. Local families have been pressuring the council for the pool to be open. The council refused citing financial issues so the families embarked on a fund-raising campaign to come up with the funds necessary to meet the stated shortfall of £11,000 per annum. I was happy to support this fundraising effort through the National Secular Society.

Despite this money being raised, the council refused to accept the funds and it transpires that the reasons are religious. Despite overwhelming support within the local community for the pool to be opened on a Sunday the councillors decided that their own narrow interpretation of a personal religious belief should take precedence over the wishes of local families.

What nonsense!

So..............I found myself on a christian website discussion thread on an article about the news stating my views. To be fair, many of those christians who commented on the news were supportive of the families but as usual there were a hard core of individuals to whom any criticism of religious privilege is unacceptable.

The article on the christian website stated, "Regarding the swimming pool, one councillor was quoted as saying: "Before my election, my personal leaflet distributed to the electorate stated a commitment to uphold Christian values 'if elected' and I believe the fourth commandment, "Remembering the Sabbath day, to keep it holy" is one such value." "

The article also made it clear that Sabbatarianism is the observance of the Biblical command in Exodus 20 to keep the Sabbath 'holy'.

"Perfect", I thought.

So I made the point that Exodus also states that a child who hits or curses his parents must be executed and provides specific instructions about beating your slaves. I also stated that if the local councillor believes in such "Christian values" then he (and those values) have no place in a modern society and the imposition of those values on those who do not share them is clearly wrong. If he (and any other Christians) choose to cherry-pick bits of the bible to support an indefensible moral position then that speaks volumes about them.

So this is when the loonies come out of their dark places. Here are some examples of the nonsense that they spouted.

What harsh wilfull ignorance. Christ came to fulfill the law, not to extinguish it, but it does have the effect that many ritual practices and practical laws are forgiven Christians. Those about homosexuality are upheld in the New Testament, none of whose guidance ceases to apply, however Francis may twist it. What is indefensible is the destination of Hell offered by atheists.

I thanked him for reminding us of the homophobia. Then wondered quite why he imagined that the beliefs of middle eastern Bronze Age nomadic goat-herders should prohibit the use of a public swimming pool in modern Stornoway on a particular day of the week. I also thanked him for that parting shot about hell and that such remarks are always guaranteed to raise a smile on my part.

No response from him but then another one piped up.

"Eventually it won't raise a smile - not on YOUR face anyway."

This was followed up by similar comments from him.

I pointed out that this was a discussion about a swimming pool in Stornoway . Continued threats of hellfire and damnation from him were neither relevant or effective. I asked him to refrain from trying to intimidate. It doesn't work.

But it continued in similar vein. Others joined in too. Not a single one actually addressed the issue which was one of the imposition of religious beliefs by elected public servants on the wider community. Every single one ranted that I would go to hell, that I would suffer eternal damnation or asked "Where are you going when you die?"

Utterly utterly pathetic.

You really do know you've won the argument when these numbskulls start condemning you to the everlasting fires.

[Image: 18212093014_6acc4f954e_z.jpg]

Okay! First this has nothing to do with the post, just getting it out of the way. Your profile pic scared me. I like it! Big Grin

Now that that is out of the way. I find that the way your described the 'people damning you the hell' to sound like the YouTube comment section. I would oftne debate on youtube, big mistake, and found the people to be just as you describe them on the forum.

I wouldn't let this get to you.

Thirdly, regarding the whole pool and playground thing. I'd find that people who fear something will cow to anyone. Whether they believe it or not. Which is why the religious in some places get all the privileges.
"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers." (I think that was Mark Twain or something like that. Huh )
Churches in some places hold so many people and so much power that linearly people will be scared by them. And if you life in places that are high in Muslim followers (Or at least I think that is what the religion is called IDK too many names for them.), Africa, then this fear is real.

Even in America is it seen, though with some movements it's becoming apparent they are tired of living in fear and letting the churches get away with a lot.

At least that's my opinion and from what I know. Smile

"Governments don't want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking That is against their interests.
They want obedient workers people who are just smart enough to run the machines and do the paperwork And just dumb enough to passively accept it."

- George Carlin
08-03-2017, 02:56 AM
(08-03-2017 12:42 AM)Ruby Crystal Wrote:  I find that the way your described the 'people damning you the hell' to sound like the YouTube comment section. I would oftne debate on youtube, big mistake, and found the people to be just as you describe them on the forum.

I wouldn't let this get to you.

Thirdly, regarding the whole pool and playground thing. I'd find that people who fear something will cow to anyone. Whether they believe it or not. Which is why the religious in some places get all the privileges.
"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers." (I think that was Mark Twain or something like that. Huh )
Churches in some places hold so many people and so much power that linearly people will be scared by them. And if you life in places that are high in Muslim followers (Or at least I think that is what the religion is called IDK too many names for them.), Africa, then this fear is real.

Even in America is it seen, though with some movements it's becoming apparent they are tired of living in fear and letting the churches get away with a lot.

At least that's my opinion and from what I know. Smile

Thanks for your reply. I don't actually let their threats of hell and damnation get to me in the sense that I feel in any way intimidated. I just think it is so pathetic when they can't think of a reasoned argument to counter your point, or they are completely helpless at justifying their own positions that they resort to threats. Not only that, when you point out that they are making threats they claim they're doing it "for your own good". That is utterly cringeworthy!

The problem in the island in question - Lewis and Harris - is that the sabbatarians have had political control for generations but a combination of their traditional supporters' children emigrating to the mainland and immigration from the mainland and further afield has meant that their power-base has dwindled and we're now seeing a power struggle.

The secular forces will win. It's just a matter of time but the rearguard reaction of the Wee Frees is quite vicious.

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike
Excreta Tauri Sapientam Fulgeat (The excrement of the bull causes wisdom to flee)
08-03-2017, 11:30 AM
(03-03-2017 04:12 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  But the [blue] laws didn't apply to all business. Grocery stores and pharmacies and a few others could be open on a Sunday so they were very arbitrary.
I wouldn't call them entirely arbitrary, I'm sure the local theists would, if they could, close them all. But pragmatically people need food and medicine even on the so-called sabbath, so those would be exempted. They have never been as doctrinaire about this as some orthodox Jews for instance. When you come home from church, the roast in the oven is about done, and the lady of the house realizes she is out of some critical ingredient, you can bet they want that faithful matriarch to be able to do an emergency dispatch of the faithful patriarch to the local grocer ;-). Besides, generally, at least in the Christian Reformed enclaves near where I used to live, there were still curtains drawn over the liquor shelves and liquor could not be sold on Sunday even though the store was open.
29-06-2017, 03:59 PM
Not all have a healthy fear of God (Ro 3:18). [Image: idunno.gif]
29-06-2017, 04:02 PM
(03-03-2017 02:55 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  "Judge not lest ye be judged" .
Hillary Clinton's favorite bible verse.

Judge not, that you be not judged. For with what judgment you judge, you will be judged; and with the measure you use, it will be measured back to you (Mt 7:1–2).

Be willing to be judged by the same standard. [Image: mesongles.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes serpentdove's post
29-06-2017, 04:14 PM
Oh great. Crazy has entered the thread.

My response when threatened with hell/I'll find out when I die is usually "okay." This tends to shut down the conversation.