Three Women, Missing for Years, Found in Cleveland

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-05-2013, 02:21 AM
RE: Three Women, Missing for Years, Found in Cleveland
So here's an interesting coincidence (and, sadly fuel for IandI's particular brand of insanity):

On the night this news story broke, the TV show Hawaii Five-0 (the new hip one, not the ancient reruns) aired a new episode that was about a girl who had been held captive for 10 years. In the TV show, the cops got to be heroes and save the day, of course.

The episode was probably filmed last summer or fall, so I'm sure the writers had no knowledge of this real story (or did they? Hmmmmm?), so this is pure coincidence (or is it? Hmmmmmm?), but I found it a bit surreal to that as the credits of this episode about a woman held captive for 10 years begain to roll, the 10:00 news led off with the story of women who were held captive for 10 years.

OK, IandI, do your thing. This is obviously proof that it was a hoax to make us all feel better, right?

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-05-2013, 03:22 AM
No, I was referring to your black and white mentality. Get off the torture kick.

Personally, I can think of no reason to use typical physical torture. You've been provided other examples in this thread, don't see that you've responded to them.

Humanists of West Florida
GC CoR
P'cola Skeptic in thePub
GC Freethinker
10-05-2013, 03:35 AM
(10-05-2013 01:19 AM)KeenIdiot Wrote:  
(10-05-2013 12:04 AM)I and I Wrote:  So being against torture according to you is like believing in a religion?

When'd you stop beating your wife, I and I?

Look folks, I'm sort of new here, is he really this stupid, is he trolling, or what?

He is just an idiot, ignore him and don't let him drag you into his BSing...

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
10-05-2013, 04:12 AM
(10-05-2013 03:22 AM)KeenIdiot Wrote:  No, I was referring to your black and white mentality. Get off the torture kick.

Personally, I can think of no reason to use typical physical torture. You've been provided other examples in this thread, don't see that you've responded to them.

The past few pages torture is the only thing being discussed. If you make up your morals on a case by case basis, this is what allows americans to not care that their government kills civilians abroad. Again, I see nothing good in this line of thinking.
10-05-2013, 06:05 AM
(10-05-2013 04:12 AM)I and I Wrote:  The past few pages torture is the only thing being discussed. If you make up your morals on a case by case basis, this is what allows americans to not care that their government kills civilians abroad. Again, I see nothing good in this line of thinking.

That's not true. You stated that everything is black and white and that those who don't agree lack principles. Torture is merely the only example you used. Myself and a number of other people have offered to you that everything is not black and white and you refuse to acknowledge anything anyone else has said.

What you have done is take the conversation in the direction you want it to go by way of purposefully ignoring everything that doesn't fit your narrative. That is intellectually dishonest and with regard to this particular conversation, it is indeed exactly like the attitude of a religious fundamentalist, as KeenIdiot pointed out.

I happen to agree with a lot of what you bring to this forum in spite of our foundational differences. However, the lack of integrity you've demonstrated is only serving as a deterrent for me with respect to even bothering reading the threads you start. And after this fiasco, the individual posts you write.

If you care about the principles you claim to hold dear, you'll engage in some rational conversation with others here and perhaps even make someone think about something they hadn't thought about before. You might even change your position on a thing or two... which is a hallmark of gaining knowledge.

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes bbeljefe's post
10-05-2013, 09:20 AM
(10-05-2013 02:21 AM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  So here's an interesting coincidence (and, sadly fuel for IandI's particular brand of insanity):

On the night this news story broke, the TV show Hawaii Five-0 (the new hip one, not the ancient reruns) aired a new episode that was about a girl who had been held captive for 10 years. In the TV show, the cops got to be heroes and save the day, of course.

The episode was probably filmed last summer or fall, so I'm sure the writers had no knowledge of this real story (or did they? Hmmmmm?), so this is pure coincidence (or is it? Hmmmmmm?), but I found it a bit surreal to that as the credits of this episode about a woman held captive for 10 years begain to roll, the 10:00 news led off with the story of women who were held captive for 10 years.

OK, IandI, do your thing. This is obviously proof that it was a hoax to make us all feel better, right?

It's not the first time. Jaycee Dugard, vanished as a child and was held 18 years.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

10-05-2013, 09:28 AM
This thread has certainly derailed.

I feel terrible for those girls. I can't imagine the terror they lived through. Its horrifying.

This has shaken up a few people I know too -- the types who celebrate consensual "kinky" things.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
10-05-2013, 09:57 AM
(10-05-2013 09:28 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  This thread has certainly derailed.

I feel terrible for those girls. I can't imagine the terror they lived through. Its horrifying.

This has shaken up a few people I know too -- the types who celebrate consensual "kinky" things.

I would hope this has affected everyone, regardless of who or what they consensually do to achieve organisms. Blink

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-05-2013, 11:06 AM
(07-05-2013 08:56 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Mr. Ramsey is a trip!

This from the article:

"Ms. Berry, who is now 27, was last seen leaving her job at a Cleveland Burger King in April 2003. Almost exactly a year later, Ms. Dejesus, now 23, disappeared as she was walking home from school. The police said that Ms. Knight vanished around 2000, but was assumed to have run away.

Family members and friends of the women reacted to the news with a mixture of shock and elation.

I’m so thankful, God is good,” Kayla Rogers, a childhood friend of Ms. DeJesus, told The Cleveland Plain Dealer. “I’ve been praying. Never forgot about her, ever.”

This is the kind of thing that always dissolves my mind like an alka-seltzer in battery acid, do these people never ask why their god allowed this in the first place? Mr.Ramsey is the hero here not Mr. Make Believe. Frusty
I was thinking the same thing. I heard Amanda Berry's aunt on the radio the day this story broke and she was saying "It's a miracle. If you don't believe in miracles, you better think again."

Lady, the only "miracle" you should be seeing from your point of view is that after more than 10 years your god finally decided to do something about it. It took a miracle to finally get him off his fat ass!

And worse, "god" gets the credit where her niece should...

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
10-05-2013, 11:10 AM
(08-05-2013 06:44 AM)I and I Wrote:  Does anyone else here believe this story is complete bullshit?
No, but everything you have posted in this thread is complete bullshit. Drinking Beverage

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
[+] 2 users Like Impulse's post