Three greatest evils of our world is G.I.R

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-04-2015, 07:47 PM
Thumbs Up Three greatest evils of our world is G.I.R
I believe, so far that I can think of, that everything that is messed up with our world, everything that causes pain,suffering, destruction or discomfort in our world can be summed up in three things. These three things is G.I.R

G - Greed

Greed is the source of want in excess. This is where corporate crimes against humanity come in. Where monopolies are tried to be made. Where governments and groups of people start wars and where gangs form.

I - Idiocy. Idiocy knows not a single boundary. It can extend and intermingle with Both G and R and even stand on its own. Ignorance is also counted towards this as well.

R- Religion. For most of us here, I do not need to tell you the destructive nature of what religion has done and what it continues to do.

What do you think? I believe it can be this simple. Can anyone think of something that is ruining our world, societies, families or whatever that cannot fit into these three categories?

Keeping religion immune from criticism is both unwarranted and dangerous. - Lawrence M. Krauss
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-04-2015, 11:14 AM
RE: Three greatest evils of our world is G.I.R
I think the acronym is taken:

I'm not sure Greed is bad in and of itself. I think it is basic human drive. If you are going to include it then it seems like other drives like lust or anger should start to make the list. It seems to me that lack of moderation of drives is more significant an evil than the drives themselves.

Idiocy I don't know about. This is the philosophy section so I gather you have a working definition? Is it low IQ? Is it people using System 1 thinking when they should have spent the effort to use System 2?

Religion? Meh. Maybe. I think religion can be an evil in its own right but it is likely in most cases to be an expression of more fundamental problems.

I think the evil component of these points could be summarised down to "lack of care for the out-group", or "lack of accountability for actions".

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 4 users Like Hafnof's post
16-04-2015, 07:45 PM
(16-04-2015 11:14 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  I think the acronym is taken:

I'm not sure Greed is bad in and of itself. I think it is basic human drive. If you are going to include it then it seems like other drives like lust or anger should start to make the list. It seems to me that lack of moderation of drives is more significant an evil than the drives themselves.

Perhaps. To be clear on two points here on this part, Greed is different than want. Greed is want in excess to the point to where your excess exceeds what you could ever possibly use for yourself. I gave a few examples for it, so I think you know what I mean by it. Also, not to mention that anger is also a basic human drive in a way. Its all basic parts of being human. However, that does not necessarily make it right since we have formed highly complicated societies and are/or should be evolving or trying to do so-out of the need for such things to function and grow.

As for the other parts you mentioned. Gimme a bit to think on that of how I might want to respond. These are merely my thoughts thus far, merely I want to try to think of a way to simplify the everything into a generalized list or something there of that can be used for everything I mentioned that was wrong with our world and is prohibiting us from achieving an ideal society and world. Basically, once again-everything that is wrong with humanity lol.

Keeping religion immune from criticism is both unwarranted and dangerous. - Lawrence M. Krauss
23-04-2015, 05:18 PM
Even though I do have some morals, I still consider myself a moral nihilist. Morality is subjective and just a metaphysical illusion such as perfection. So even though I have my own ideals as what is good and bad, they're abstract and are not definite. So when it comes to your "three evils', I personally wouldn't call them that. I would definitely say they cause a lot of conflict. That's for sure. But would they be considered evil? Depends on who you ask. But yea, I do agree with you that those three things cause too much conflict in the world. But honestly, I don't think that they will ever disappear. It's human nature. And some scientist have theorized that religion beliefs are part of the evolutionary process involving psychology and all that. I just skimmed that in a book I'm reading, but I don't know all the specifics. But yes I agree: the world would be a lot better without those variables. And Im new here, so im glad I can finally talk to some rational people. Thank "God" XD.
23-04-2015, 05:32 PM
(15-04-2015 07:47 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  I believe, so far that I can think of, that everything that is messed up with our world, everything that causes pain,suffering, destruction or discomfort in our world can be summed up in three things. These three things is G.I.R

G - Greed

Greed is the source of want in excess. This is where corporate crimes against humanity come in. Where monopolies are tried to be made. Where governments and groups of people start wars and where gangs form.

I - Idiocy. Idiocy knows not a single boundary. It can extend and intermingle with Both G and R and even stand on its own. Ignorance is also counted towards this as well.

R- Religion. For most of us here, I do not need to tell you the destructive nature of what religion has done and what it continues to do.

What do you think? I believe it can be this simple. Can anyone think of something that is ruining our world, societies, families or whatever that cannot fit into these three categories?

Power-lust.

Perhaps that is a form of greed to you?

It strikes me that two of your three evils are built deep into the human psyche. Greed has undermined every economic system ever considered, and idiocy has torpedoed the best ideas through stupid execution.

Illegitimi non carborundum
23-04-2015, 06:33 PM
Social justice warriors. People who perpetrate evil more often than not believe they're actually doing justice.

“To be independent of public opinion is the first formal condition of achieving anything great.”
- Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel
23-04-2015, 09:15 PM
[Image: tumblr_mfk0fiQUKw1ql7sy6o1_500.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes WeAreTheCosmos's post
24-04-2015, 04:10 AM
If it could be summed in three things, then perhaps it could be summed in even less? It's simplification for sure but I think much suffering is result of violation of others people freedom. It could be theft, murder or trying to make people to live by some arbitrary rules in the name of supposed grater good or god.

The misfortune of the wise is better than the prosperity of the fool.

Epicurus.
30-04-2015, 11:21 PM
I don't know if it is useful to over-simplify the causes of evil (loss of flourishing and increase in suffering). And if you want to be serious about simplifying, then reduce it to one: Humans. I agree that greed (an irremediable need for more) can be alleviated if folks ever figure out what it means to have enough and be secure in having enough (security, food, etc...). I prefer the term stupidity to idiocy and note that while ignorance is curable, stupidity is not. No number of PhD's have ever reduced the capacity of a stupid person to think and do stupid things. And yes, I really do believe there are in fact stupid people (intelligence has nothing to do with it)...some religionists immediately spring to mind; which leads to religion and it's unending capacity for evil in thoughtlessness and deed since its' inception. The most solvable of these three seems to be religion first, I look forward to the day the last church is reduced to dust and the world is brimful of thoughtful, reasoning, skeptical people (which leaves no room for religious stupidity and what is very often working in tandem with it, greed).

Brave. Not terribly clever. But brave!
09-05-2015, 02:18 PM
I would add Tribalism, in the broadest sense, to your list of Greed, Ignorance, and Religion. In fact, I'm not sure that ignorance in itself is evil. Our ignorance is infinitely greater than our knowledge, yet a kind person causes no suffering through his ignorance.

But tribalism, the feeling that "my" group is better and more deserving than "your" group, is one of the principal drivers of conflict. Racism, religious intolerance, homophobia, nationalism, are all manifestations of tribalism.

So I'd say the three greatest evils are Greed, Religion, and Tribalism.

"El mar se mide por olas,
el cielo por alas,
nosotros por lágrimas."
-- Jaime Sabines