Throwing out evidence

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-02-2012, 12:46 AM
RE: Throwing out evidence
Confusion always comes from the basic end game of this argument.
If evolution is true then does it mean that there is no god? NO.
But does it mean that the bible may have been interpreted improperly or have some potential errors within it? YES.
I think part of it comes from YEC people believing in he literal translation of the bible (which is how I think it was meant but whatevs) and this essentially means that if one part as interpreted by them is wrong then it is probably all wrong. There's no room for error.
But the flip side of this coin is if the bible is without error and it is literal... Gods fucking with us.
Let's say for arguments sake that god is real and he actually gave his inspired word for the creation of the bible. That means hat evolution isn't true. That means that god told us how old the earth was and then made it look older just to fuck with us.
Now I know a lot of YEC types might spout the Satan changes things to deceive us and lead us from gods path... But you'd think with all the warnings god had put into the bible about listening to the devil... There might be one about bad dating and shit fossil records.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post
10-02-2012, 01:07 AM
(10-02-2012 12:46 AM)lucradis Wrote:  Confusion always comes from the basic end game of this argument.
If evolution is true then does it mean that there is no god? NO.
But does it mean that the bible may have been interpreted improperly or have some potential errors within it? YES.
I think part of it comes from YEC people believing in he literal translation of the bible (which is how I think it was meant but whatevs) and this essentially means that if one part as interpreted by them is wrong then it is probably all wrong. There's no room for error.
But the flip side of this coin is if the bible is without error and it is literal... Gods fucking with us.
Let's say for arguments sake that god is real and he actually gave his inspired word for the creation of the bible. That means hat evolution isn't true. That means that god told us how old the earth was and then made it look older just to fuck with us.
Now I know a lot of YEC types might spout the Satan changes things to deceive us and lead us from gods path... But you'd think with all the warnings god had put into the bible about listening to the devil... There might be one about bad dating and shit fossil records.

But even YECs tend to accept parts of the Bible as figurative or parable. They stick to a literal stance in Genesis, but not in all parts. They claim that non-YECs "pick and choose" yet they do the same thing.

There is debate about what "days" really meant to the author. How green plants exist before there was sunlight?

I don't think the Genesis account was meant to be used in an exacting manner, and contains allegorical references. A talking serpent is supposed to be literal? I rweally don't think so.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Geode's post
11-02-2012, 01:18 AM
(09-02-2012 09:48 AM)lucradis Wrote:  I have two guesses.

1: It's easier, and less frightening if what they were taught as children is true.

2: They have a very ... hard time.... with the learnin.
[Image: hillbilly+wedding.jpg]

Interesting photo. How did you come about it?
12-02-2012, 04:02 PM
(09-02-2012 08:47 AM)Geode Wrote:  I think my posting in non-acceptance of the YEC claim led to my being banned. They really have a problem with somebody pointing out that the evidence does not support their claims. All they have left in defense is denial and censorship, dealt out with a heavy dose of hypocrisy.

I hate to say that most forums are like this. This doesn't apply to TheThinkingAtheist (usually, as explained below) but most forums, if they have any moderation, get rid of all opinions that are disagreeable with the majority. The general theme is that a comment that is heavily flagged will be removed. What does it take to get a comment flagged? Well, a forum member presses the "flag" option (or whatever they call it --- like the "report" button here). It hardly matters if the comment is in agreement with the terms and conditions of the site, or even if it said kindly and without insult to anyone. If enough people are annoyed by you being a contrarian, they can wreck your experience by "cheating".

Despite the rationality shown on this forum, I even encountered it on this forum when I first arrived a year ago. There was a theist who answered many posts, and even though I thought his arguments were lame, he didn't attack or insult any of his opponents. He still got banned, though... and as far as I could tell, it was just for holding a strong theistic stance. I think my first or second post was in his defense --- I'd read his arguments and the arguments of the atheists, and only one group was violating this site's Terms. That group didn't even get a warning.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-02-2012, 12:04 AM
(12-02-2012 04:02 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  
(09-02-2012 08:47 AM)Geode Wrote:  I think my posting in non-acceptance of the YEC claim led to my being banned. They really have a problem with somebody pointing out that the evidence does not support their claims. All they have left in defense is denial and censorship, dealt out with a heavy dose of hypocrisy.

I hate to say that most forums are like this. This doesn't apply to TheThinkingAtheist (usually, as explained below) but most forums, if they have any moderation, get rid of all opinions that are disagreeable with the majority. The general theme is that a comment that is heavily flagged will be removed. What does it take to get a comment flagged? Well, a forum member presses the "flag" option (or whatever they call it --- like the "report" button here). It hardly matters if the comment is in agreement with the terms and conditions of the site, or even if it said kindly and without insult to anyone. If enough people are annoyed by you being a contrarian, they can wreck your experience by "cheating".

Despite the rationality shown on this forum, I even encountered it on this forum when I first arrived a year ago. There was a theist who answered many posts, and even though I thought his arguments were lame, he didn't attack or insult any of his opponents. He still got banned, though... and as far as I could tell, it was just for holding a strong theistic stance. I think my first or second post was in his defense --- I'd read his arguments and the arguments of the atheists, and only one group was violating this site's Terms. That group didn't even get a warning.

I haven't posted on many forums and had just assumed that http://www.evolutionfairytale.com was different, because I already knew of its reputation for banning people. I find your explanation believable but rather scary. I would hope that taking a strong yet civil approach that does not break rules whould not trigger such a response. I think forums are diminshed and are far less interesting if points of view not of the majority are discouraged.
[+] 1 user Likes Geode's post