Thumbs up to Lea Christine, whoever she is.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-12-2014, 07:45 PM
Thumbs up to Lea Christine, whoever she is.
Sometimes I read comment sections and come across fantastic atheists who decimate theists in ways I can only dream of. I ran across this debate in a AronRa youtube video comment section, mostly between someone with the online name TruePeace3 and someone named Lea Christine. Lea Christine, says everything I've always wanted to say to religious nuts and she does it in great detail and without name calling, for the most part. ( I think I have poster envy.)

The thread, and it's a long one, starts with a comment from TruePeace3 who says "Why should anyone believe AronRa." and it goes from there. Lea Christine, whoever you are, I tip my hat to you. Thumbsup

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
16-12-2014, 06:33 AM
RE: Thumbs up to Lea Christine, whoever she is.
Ok, I copied this exchange here, very well done indeed:

Quote:TruePeace3
2 months ago

+Lea Christine No, I didn't miss your point. The problem is that your worldview demands scientifically demonstrable and intellectually understandable evidence for faith, which is unseen.

I'm neither stupid or lazy, but I can tell you that my faith in Jesus Christ came in a moment of realization when He gave me the faith to believe and understand my hopeless, sinful state before a Holy God. I used to pride myself in how "open-minded" I was, but I know now that the way that leads to life is narrow.

There are countless intellectuals who trust in God - many who have come to faith after years of study and others as a result of trying to disprove God.

There is ample evidence of a divine Creator if you're willing to see it. But if not, it proves nothing. God is still on the throne.
·
Lea Christine
2 months ago (edited)

+TruePeace3
"The problem is that your worldview demands scientifically demonstrable and intellectually understandable evidence for faith, which is unseen." Incorrect. My worldview doesn't require "faith" at all-- I believe that which is demonstrably real, not mythology and fairy tales that have absolutely no evidence to back them up. Where there is evidence, there is no need for faith. We don't speak about "having faith" that 2+2=4 or that the earth is round-- the only time we speak of faith is when we want to substitute emotion for evidence. Faith strips you of your ability to be an independent thinker because it requires you to believe in irrational things, no matter what.

The truth however does not require faith to be the truth-- the truth does not beg to be "believed," it begs to be questioned and tested to prove it's validity. Your god claim not only fails when tested or questioned, it refuses to even allow anyone question or test it because it conveniently falls outside the realm of reality. And my "worldview" doesn't have time for unreal things-- reality is way more interesting and wonderful than any make-believe, faith-based story you can give me.

"my faith in Jesus Christ came in a moment of realization when He gave me the faith to believe and understand my hopeless, sinful state" What you mean is that your faith in Jesus Christ came at a time when you were most psychologically unstable and emotionally vulnerable and felt like you had nowhere else to turn in order to feel happy and fulfilled. That's when all people find "faith" because when people are in a state of fear and hopelessness, they’ll swallow just about anything. I however, am not hopeless and am doing just fine without your imaginary friends. I don't need "faith" to find purpose in my life or be happy with who I am. You needing to believe in something greater than yourself because you can't find happiness within yourself is not my issue.

"There are countless intellectuals who trust in God - many who have come to faith after years of study and others as a result of trying to disprove God." Two logical fallacies you just used: 1.) Appeal to authority-- "Because an authority/intellectual agrees to something without evidence, it must therefore be true." This is an invalid argument because there are many more intellectuals who don't trust in a god, and even if they all trusted in a god, that doesn't make his existence any more real because no one has provided any empirical evidence for the claim. An "intellectual" can trust in a god for the exact same emotion-based reasons that you do, and that isn't sufficient reason for me or anyone else to believe likewise. Show me evidence for your claim and I'll consider it. Because even smart people aren't immune to believing some really stupid things. 2.) Argument ad populum: "Because many or most people believe it is true, it must be true." Also an invalid argument-- Just because a lot of people believe stupid stuff doesn’t mean it's no longer stupid. It just means that stupidity is popular on this planet. Show me empirical evidence for the claim. I'm not interested in the safety-in-numbers fallacy to prove something's existence.

Also, I think this goes without saying, but you can't "disprove God" any more than you can disprove Zeus, Thor, Santa Clause, or tiny pink unicorns. You can't disprove anything actually, because it's logically impossible to disprove a negative. People who have tried to do so may as well try growing wings and flying to the moon.

It also follows that believing in a god simply because you can't "disprove" his existence is just about the dumbest line of thinking anyone can use for believing in something, because it follows that you would have to believe in everything's existence, since you can't prove they don't. And any intellectual in his right mind knows this fact, but might set it aside in order to have a flimsy, illogical excuse to believe in something for emotional reasons.

There is ample evidence of a divine Creator if you're willing to see it." Correction: There is ample evidence of a divine Creator if you're willing to delude yourself and use confirmation bias in order to see "proof" of what you want to be real where there actually is none. You're saying that if you just believe hard enough, your wishful thinking can become reality. Again-- searching for and interpreting information in order to fit your biased preconceptions is dishonest, and I'm not buying into that kind of delusional cult-think.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 3 users Like TheInquisition's post
16-12-2014, 07:21 AM
RE: Thumbs up to Lea Christine, whoever she is.
Quote:You needing to believe in something greater than yourself because you can't find happiness within yourself is not my issue.

Pure poetry

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post