Thump's Burritos

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-06-2015, 11:37 PM
Thump's Burritos
I wanted some good Mexican food tonight, and I'll be goddamned but what Texas has about the lousiest Mexican food in America, so I went at it myself. I like my way around a kitchen, anyway, and when I lived in SoCal, I was in an immigrant neighborhood where I had great bodegas right around the corner ... a good school for learning SoB -- that's South-of-the-Border -- cooking.

So I made me some homemade burritos. First I diced up two boneless/skinless chicken breasts, then browned them in vegetable oil and garlic, and then poured in about 8 oz of my favorite salsa and about 8 oz of water:

[Image: wqvdq1.jpg]

[Image: 2a77ha1.jpg]

[Image: 205p02f.jpg]

I browned the chicken for about 20 minutes on medium-high, then added the salsa and water. I raised that to a vigorous boil, the covered and simmered on the lowest setting I could fetch from my crappy stove. I let it simmer for about an hour. I also opened a can of pinto beans and simmered them on low with a cover for the entire time the chicken was going.

While that was happening in the kitchen, I was busy cutting up the greenery for the filling: about a cup of lettuce, two medium vine tomatoes, one cup of diced green onion, a fistfull of cilantro chopped fine, one-half a jalapeƱo pepper, diced finely, and four cloves of garlic, chopped. I mixed that up with a little hot sauce, half a squeezed lime, and about a tablespoon of vegetable oil, and let it sit until the chicken was done. Sliced one-half a small avocado, too. Warmed the flour tortillas in the microwave (two at a time, 20 seconds per pair), and then loaded them up:

[Image: 11ub5na.jpg]

[Image: eiuyyu.jpg]

Now, if I were to do it for real, I'd make my own salsa from scratch, and the chicken would be browned over a mesquite grill before dicing and simmering in that salsa ... but this is my only day off of the week and I'm not keen on spending that much time working it. But this will get you most all the way to honest Mexican food in 90 minutes or so.

The proportions above made for six burritos ... ate two tonight, and four leftovers to take to work over the next week, as well as a little extra filling to nibble on at oh-dark-thirty.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
25-06-2015, 11:40 PM
RE: Thump's Burritos
Yum! I'd be all over that minus the chicken Drooling

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
26-06-2015, 12:08 AM
If it would get you over to Hacienda de la Tompalompico, I'd leave the chicken out of a couple.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
26-06-2015, 12:31 AM
Drooling I think I might try making these Smile Thanks Thump! Chickens gonna die Big Grin

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
26-06-2015, 12:34 AM
(26-06-2015 12:31 AM)morondog Wrote:  Drooling I think I might try making these Smile Thanks Thump! Chickens gonna die Big Grin

I forgot to mention that when I put in the salsa and water for simmering, I also added some powdered cumin, not much -- maybe three or four shakes out of the bottle.
26-06-2015, 01:06 AM
Why am I suddenly hungry right after I have eaten breakfast?

Sounds and looks freaking delicious.
[+] 1 user Likes Nishi Karano Kaze's post
26-06-2015, 06:31 AM
(26-06-2015 12:08 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  If it would get you over to Hacienda de la Tompalompico, I'd leave the chicken out of a couple.

I would so drive to Texas for those! Drooling

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
26-06-2015, 06:36 AM
(26-06-2015 06:31 AM)jennybee Wrote:  
(26-06-2015 12:08 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  If it would get you over to Hacienda de la Tompalompico, I'd leave the chicken out of a couple.

I would so drive to Texas for those! Drooling

Already in TX, let me know when the feast is on! Big Grin

I'll eat the chicken, jenny can have my avocado.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
26-06-2015, 07:16 AM
(26-06-2015 12:31 AM)morondog Wrote:  Drooling I think I might try making these Smile Thanks Thump! Chickens gonna die Big Grin

Sadcryface

[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
26-06-2015, 08:10 AM
(26-06-2015 06:36 AM)Anjele Wrote:  
(26-06-2015 06:31 AM)jennybee Wrote:  I would so drive to Texas for those! Drooling

Already in TX, let me know when the feast is on! Big Grin

I'll eat the chicken, jenny can have my avocado.

I've been meaning to ask, where in Texas are you?