Thump's Speaker Cabinet Build (pic-heavy)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-06-2016, 02:12 AM
Thump's Speaker Cabinet Build (pic-heavy)
I'm in the process of rebuilding an electric guitar rig after about five years of playing acoustic-only (outside of music-store visits). I've already got the two electrics I wanted to start with, an Ibanez 335 copy and a Faded SG. I don't yet own an amplifier for them, but anticipating its pending purchase, I set about building a speaker cabinet for it. I'm shopping for an amp right now. The old Peavey ValveKing 212 I had shipped here last summer doesn't work any more (storage or shipment, I don't know), so I tore it apart and salvaged what I could, mainly the tubes and speakers. So having a couple of Peavey speakers laying around, and needing a project to keep idle hands busy, I decided to build a couple of 1x12 cabinets for it.

Now, I'm no woodhead, and have never built anything more complicated than a flower planter before, so please, you experienced cabinet-makers go easy on my rookie mistakes. I learnt a lot in this first build, which will carry forward to further projects. The mistakes are numerous and obvious on it and if you must point and laugh at least make it witty or teach me more. Smile

I learnt that the jigsaw is not my friend. I learnt to go fast with brad-point bits -- the tear-out you see around the doweling is a result of going slowly with little confidence. I learnt how to wet-sand. I learnt that clamps should not be overtorqued -- you can break them! I learnt that a little glue squeeze-out is good, but that too much makes much more work without any increase in strength.

Sure I missed a few lessons, too.

The cab was designed with an Egnater Tweaker 40 in mind, both in cosmetics and dimension -- I'll be picking that up in a few weeks, I'm sure. Given that, and given my unwillingness to learn upholstering tweed at the same time I'm learning basic cabinetry, I opted for stained white pine at 19"x14" for the layout. Speaker baffle is 5/8" birch ply. Titebond and woodscrews hold the thing together. I decided on butt-joints reinforced by dowels, and also by internal brackets. The guy at the hardware store asked my if I intended to park my truck on it, I had to laugh. But I like a little overbuild in the thing. The back is removable to provide both open-and closed-back options.

Anyway, onto the pics.

Clamping the box:

[Image: 2uyox0h.jpg]

[Image: 9ztul1.jpg]

Dowel-holes drilled, dowels installed:

[Image: 33yg9xy.jpg]

[Image: o08k86.jpg]

Internal brackets, and speaker-baffle/removable-back mounts installed:

[Image: s6oxfk.jpg]

... and now we get to sanding ... funfunfun!

[Image: egequ9.jpg]

[Image: 2iij1gl.jpg]

Cutting and staining the speaker-baffle. I predrilled the hole using
a shovel-bit, because plunge-cutting with my jigsaw was going horribly awry:

[Image: 96mcz5.jpg]

[Image: fauflu.jpg]

Mock-up with the baffle in place, and first coat of stain:

[Image: fbyy47.jpg]

[Image: 96vl1e.jpg]

... and finished (three coats of stain, three coats of gloss poly, wet-sanded between coats) -- everything's in place and the thing is rock-solid. Forgive the subpar quality of these two shots -- my Canon digicam is having major malfunctions right now, so these are from my cell-phone:

[Image: 5uq9l.jpg]

[Image: 2z4lp1l.jpg]

Cannot wait to get my amp so I can hear my handiwork!

I'm starting my second cab soon, a smaller one which I've designed to allow for both dispersion and punchiness. We'll see how that goes ... hopefully smoother and less mistake-riddled.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
05-06-2016, 04:08 AM
RE: Thump's Speaker Cabinet Build (pic-heavy)
Nice craftsmanship. Thumbsup

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
05-06-2016, 09:25 AM
Thanks Smile
05-06-2016, 09:58 AM
That came out right nice, for an armature! I see you wanted it portable. If you want a really solid cabinet, use concrete.

https://www.google.com/search?q=concrete...8&oe=utf-8
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
05-06-2016, 10:05 AM
She's a beaut, Clark! Thumbsup

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
05-06-2016, 10:43 AM
Beautiful work! You got mad skilz, man. Wink

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 1 user Likes Heatheness's post
05-06-2016, 10:56 AM
Very professional looking. No cabinet venting or internal damping?

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
05-06-2016, 11:23 AM
No. The back is removable if I want an open-backed sound ... playing, say, jazz or blues -- but I'm not a big fan of ported cabs for guitars.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post