Thunderf00t and Amazing Atheist- anti-feminist douchebags

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-08-2013, 03:34 PM
RE: Thunderf00t and Amazing Atheist- anti-feminist douchebags
(14-08-2013 03:00 PM)mylittlepretender Wrote:  
(14-08-2013 02:37 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  Thunderf00t is one of my favorite youtubers and I've seen a TON of his videos.
I stand with his viewpoint 100% if not more on creationist crap, elevatorgate Rebecca Watson, donglegate Adria Richards, facts vs feminism Anita Sarkeesian and the atheism plus BLOCK BOT.

TJ is an in your face loud mouth guy whom I appreciate very much.
He's not my style for video watching but his points are made quite well.

I find nothing douche baggery about any of the FACTS vs Feminism videos concerning Anita Sarkeesian.
In fact I find them well reasoned and thought provoking.

What are the issues you have with his videos ?
What is it exactly that you have a problem with ?

Are facts annoying to you ? or are they too arrogant ?
"You and your high and mighty FACTS" Hobo

First off, elevatorgate. Rebecca Watson was approached from a rather strange man who hadn't talked to her before. He barged right into an elevator, a captive audience, if you will. Then right off the bat, he asked her to come back to her hotel room. Kind of too-close too soon, right? How isn't that kind of creepy? All Watson said was that men shouldn't act like that.

Let's make a few corrections here. Rebecca is at a conference in another country and people from the conference were all out at the bars, having drinks, dancing, having a good time. Rebecca spent the last 4 hours with her "stranger" in the same bar drinking and socializing. So yes, they had spoken to each other before. They both left the bar at 4 am and walked back to the same hotel where the conference was being held at. They entered the elevator together and no she wasn't cornered or captive.

Plus you can't barge into an elevator unless you are the HULK.

Given the time that they had spent together and seeing that she had too much to drink, he politely asked if she would like to come to his room for some coffee. She politely said "No thank you" and that was that. He didn't pursue the matter any further. He went to his room and she went to hers. End of story.

^ This is HER account of what happened. The man in this situation was never publicly identified as far as I know.

But wait, how do we know about any of this ?
We know this because Rebecca blogged about the incident and compared it to actual RAPE. She has a major in communication and is all about manipulation of mass media. She made this an issue and fabricated stories about harassment that she had heard other women talk about. And yet no women came forward to tell any stories and because there was no evidence of any harassment she claims that no evidence is all the evidence she needs, claiming that women are often too scared to come forward.

Yes, in actual rape cases, sure. Women are often too scared to come forward, but we are talking about conferences in which people often go to bars for drinks.
In the bars themselves you may find drunk men and women who don't act as if they are in a conference, they act like they are in a bar having fun.

Any kind of sexual harassment found during a conference will be found in the bar just like you find it in any bar in any city on any given night.

But at the actual conference, what kind of harassment do we have ?

Slim to none, but now she has a say in the harassment policies and WHO can attend the conferences as attendees and as speakers.

She created an issue where there was NONE and now has the power to say who can attend the conferences and who can speak at them.

This was never about harassment. It was about one woman trying to gain power for herself and make a name for herself.
And in turn that leads to more speaking engagements and more money.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Rahn127's post
14-08-2013, 03:36 PM
So... let's make a post in the atheism section of an atheist board about how anti-Anita ain't atheism... Dodgy

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-08-2013, 03:38 PM
(14-08-2013 03:34 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  
(14-08-2013 03:00 PM)mylittlepretender Wrote:  First off, elevatorgate. Rebecca Watson was approached from a rather strange man who hadn't talked to her before. He barged right into an elevator, a captive audience, if you will. Then right off the bat, he asked her to come back to her hotel room. Kind of too-close too soon, right? How isn't that kind of creepy? All Watson said was that men shouldn't act like that.

Let's make a few corrections here. Rebecca is at a conference in another country and people from the conference were all out at the bars, having drinks, dancing, having a good time. Rebecca spent the last 4 hours with her "stranger" in the same bar drinking and socializing. So yes, they had spoken to each other before. They both left the bar at 4 am and walked back to the same hotel where the conference was being held at. They entered the elevator together and no she wasn't cornered or captive.

Given the time that they had spent together and seeing that she had too much to drink, he politely asked if she would like to come to his room for some coffee. She politely said "No thank you" and that was that. He didn't pursue the matter any further. He went to his room and she went to hers. End of story.

^ This is HER account of what happened. The man in this situation was never publicly identified as far as I know.

We know this because Rebecca blogged about the incident and compared it to actual RAPE. She has a major in communication and is all about manipulation of mass media. She made this an issue and fabricated stories about harassment that she had heard other women talk about. And yet no women came forward to tell any stories and because there was no evidence of any harassment she claims that no evidence is all the evidence she needs, claiming that women are often too scared to come forward.

Yes, in actual rape cases, sure. Women are often too scared to come forward, but we are talking about conferences in which people often go to bars for drinks.
In the bars themselves you may find drunk men and women who don't act as if they are in a conference, they act like they are in a bar having fun.

Any kind of sexual harassment found during a conference will be found in the bar just like you find it in any bar in any city on any given night.

Slim to none, but now she has a say in the harassment policies and WHO can attend the conferences as attendees and as speakers.

She created an issue where there was NONE and now has the power to say who can attend the conferences and who can speak at them.

This was never about harassment. It was about one woman trying to gain power for herself and make a name for herself.

We know this because Rebecca blogged about the incident and compared it to actual RAPE.

Can you link to what she actually said about the incident? I'd prefer to take her word for it.
[+] 1 user Likes mylittlepretender's post
14-08-2013, 03:39 PM
Re: Thunderf00t and Amazing Atheist- anti-feminist douchebags
I can understand being agitated by the pc police. There was a quote I read the other day I'm afraid I can't find, but it highlights that we use words in non-literal ways and that making a big deal in every case is stupid and counter-productive.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
14-08-2013, 03:41 PM
(14-08-2013 03:36 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  So... let's make a post in the atheism section of an atheist board about how anti-Anita ain't atheism... Dodgy

Yep, that's how things work. Two prominent atheists, one of whom has the very fucking word in his username, make hay out of being anti-feminist.

And I respond to it. It's madness!
14-08-2013, 03:43 PM
(14-08-2013 03:39 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I can understand being agitated by the pc police. There was a quote I read the other day I'm afraid I can't find, but it highlights that we use words in non-literal ways and that making a big deal in every case is stupid and counter-productive.

Oh, Thunderf00t's and TJ's fatuous nonsense goes way beyond that.
14-08-2013, 03:50 PM
Re: Thunderf00t and Amazing Atheist- anti-feminist douchebags
I'm sure it does

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
14-08-2013, 03:54 PM
(14-08-2013 03:38 PM)mylittlepretender Wrote:  
(14-08-2013 03:34 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  Let's make a few corrections here. Rebecca is at a conference in another country and people from the conference were all out at the bars, having drinks, dancing, having a good time. Rebecca spent the last 4 hours with her "stranger" in the same bar drinking and socializing. So yes, they had spoken to each other before. They both left the bar at 4 am and walked back to the same hotel where the conference was being held at. They entered the elevator together and no she wasn't cornered or captive.

We know this because Rebecca blogged about the incident and compared it to actual RAPE.

Can you link to what she actually said about the incident? I'd prefer to take her word for it.

I've heard about that incident and it was greatly exaggerated by the young woman. Not saying that the personal attacks against her were warranted but she did kick the thing off by basically lying about being assaulted. To me that is the worst thing you can do simply because it allows people to ignore when an actual assault takes place.

Granted her being full of shit has little to do with TAA being a douche.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
14-08-2013, 04:05 PM
(14-08-2013 03:54 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(14-08-2013 03:38 PM)mylittlepretender Wrote:  We know this because Rebecca blogged about the incident and compared it to actual RAPE.

I've heard about that incident and it was greatly exaggerated by the young woman. Not saying that the personal attacks against her were warranted but she did kick the thing off by basically lying about being assaulted. To me that is the worst thing you can do simply because it allows people to ignore when an actual assault takes place.

Granted her being full of shit has little to do with TAA being a douche.
I've heard about that incident and it was greatly exaggerated by the young woman.

Again, what did she actually say?
14-08-2013, 04:41 PM
Dislike the man if you will, but Thunderf00t's logic and reasoning are always sound.
I rather like him actually. I knew him before I knew TTA and I consider both these men to be my greatest examples.

@OP, Thunderf00t's actually been on several TTA podcasts, like 24, 52 and 86. Maybe listening to him there alters or confirms your perspective.

The Amazing Atheist is getting quite dull, though. Kind of a Jim Sterling wannabe.
More about promoting his book nowadays than anything else.

Aspiring optimist
Eternal Pragmatist.
With the uncanny ability to see all sides in every argument.
[+] 1 user Likes Caveman's post