Thunderf00t and Amazing Atheist- anti-feminist douchebags

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-08-2013, 04:53 PM
Re: Thunderf00t and Amazing Atheist- anti-feminist douchebags
Thunderf00t is atrocious when trying to interview someone or debate. When he has the floor to himself to say what he's practiced, he is pretty good (at least about the science related things I've seen).

But there was some show (magic sandwich?) where they had on a couple of presuppositionalists (hovind? And some other fellow) and he was awful, the whole show was awful. And he interviewed hovind and it was awful (in a separate video). It was nothing more than 2 people dancing around and trying to posture themselves into scoring a point on a technicality. Each trying to lead the other to some point to just to use a pre-made argument against it. It was awful.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-08-2013, 04:54 PM
RE: Thunderf00t and Amazing Atheist- anti-feminist douchebags
I am not too familiar with thunderf00t, but I am very familiar with TJ (AKA: The Amazing Atheist.)
I agree with your point that TJ can be crass, but that's just his personal style. Even on his TJ does life channel, he doesn't play the PC Bullshit game. Face it people- on racy topics, feelings will get hurt!
On his views of feminism, I feel that he is critiquing how low the original standards of this group has fallen, rather than the feminist cause in itself. We went from protesting peacefully to spitting in reporters faces and cursing people out. We went from pointing out obvious shows of sexism, to just straight out calling everything we see a sign of patriarchy.
On this issue, I find myself to be more of an equalist than a feminist. Indeed, females still face sexism in many fields. However, the same can be applied to men (i.e : men have to be macho, showing feelings is a sign of weakness, being gay makes you less of a man, how boys get circumcised for cosmetic values, or so the "demon Liltih" won't snatch them from their cradles, men can't get raped, etc) I feel that TJ is speaking out for all the males who've been victims of sexism.
I'm pretty sure if feminism was like it was in the 20's or 70's, he would have no problems; hell, he might even jump on the bandwagon.

Close minded are those who refuse to try new things, or contemplate new ideas.
Marriage is a failed institution. No ceremony or signed documents can ensure the permanence of a relationship. If they did, there would be no such thing as divorces.
[+] 1 user Likes PlainDamnCommonSense's post
14-08-2013, 05:09 PM
Re: Thunderf00t and Amazing Atheist- anti-feminist douchebags
The only sextist thing I encounter as a male is the default delivery of the check to me.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
14-08-2013, 05:12 PM (This post was last modified: 14-08-2013 05:19 PM by ridethespiral.)
I don't even have the energy to get into this debate, yet theses two pennies are burning a hole in my pocket...

Feminism could be/is doing a lot for the world, there are Korean women stuck working the sex trade in China, MiddleEastern women being oppressed everywhere you look, African genital mutilation happening all the time....

...but the Anita Sarkasians of the world can kiss my hairy man ass..."OMG he said fork! that pig said fork my git repository! ....and nobody can talk trash while playing video games anymore because that is sexist! ...and how dare anyone talk to me in an elevator!?" Come talk to me when you have to enlist in the draft, go down with the ship or loose your lifes work in a divorce.

I'm all for an open society where people can do what they want, I want my daughter to be happy and successful... but don't expect the electrical industry to change it's naming conventions because male and female plugs are too sexual for you.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like ridethespiral's post
14-08-2013, 05:35 PM
(14-08-2013 05:12 PM)ridethespiral Wrote:  I don't even have the energy to get into this debate, yet theses two pennies are burning a hole in my pocket...

Feminism could be/is doing a lot for the world, there are Korean women stuck working the sex trade in China, MiddleEastern women being oppressed everywhere you look, African genital mutilation happening all the time....

...but the Anita Sarkasians of the world can kiss my hairy man ass..."OMG he said fork! that pig said fork my git repository! ....and nobody can talk trash while playing video games anymore because that is sexist! ...and how dare anyone talk to me in an elevator!?" Come talk to me when you have to enlist in the draft, go down with the ship or loose your lifes work in a divorce.

I'm all for an open society where people can do what they want, I want my daughter to be happy and successful... but don't expect the electrical industry to change it's naming conventions because male and female plugs are too sexual for you.

Is the argument "Hey, look at the awful stuff that happens over there! Don't pay any attention to what goes on here!"

Now, while many feminists are obsessed with what happens in their own sheltered world, that doesn't mean observations they make are invalid, or that the men in said sheltered world shouldn't look at some problematic shit.

The draft is such a canard. No one has been forced to fight in the USA since Vietnam. And "losing your life's work" in divorce? What, you mean alimony and child support? Last time I checked, no family court goes to your place of employment and stops you from doing whatever.
14-08-2013, 05:37 PM
I will preface this with I am male.

I have to agree with Rahn127, I read far too many things about the so called "elevatorgate" incident and their characterization of what happened is consistent with what I read. I believe even Ms. Watson has admitted that he was not significantly aggressive that she was offended by the question alone. I am not going to go over that old ground again so no I will provide no links, it was boring enough reading through it the second time.

I was rather reminded of a time I was in a tavern that both the woman next to me and I frequented and I commented to her on the sporting event we were both watching. She immediately felt the need to tell me she was a lesbian. Something I had deduced from seeing her in the past. The comment itself was innocuous and absolutely unrelated to anything but the game we and only we were watching.

I would posit if no conversation was allowed between the male and female of the human species that the species may be threatened.

None of the above is saying that the atheist community is free of patriarchy. Nor is it free of ethnic segregation, although there may be more complex social reasons for that. The whole of society is not free of patriarchy and it is something that must be considered in any discussion of human organization, so must ethnic segregation. I will suggest that overreaction in a community that at least on its surface seems to recognize its failings can be very counterproductive.

I will also point out that none of what I say here should be construed to mean I completely agree with either Thunderf00t or the Amazing Atheist (I could not stand to watch more than a few minutes of one of the above linked to videos by AA).

I also must very much condemn some of the hateful comments made in response to the "elevatorgate" incident.

I do think that rational discussions of women in society are better served by not becoming overly upset by specific individuals.
14-08-2013, 05:38 PM
I don't think that it's so much that the points feminists bring up are invalid, it's that they insist on being irrational cunts about it and disrespecting people that don't deserve it.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
14-08-2013, 05:41 PM (This post was last modified: 14-08-2013 05:47 PM by hedgehog648.)
You can be feminist and still disagree with people like Anita Sarkeesian. Personally I think Anita is just not that smart rather than actually disingenuous - she suffers a lot from confirmation bias but occasionally says something that makes sense. I actually liked her video game idea (basically princess gets kidnapped, escapes and reclaims her kingdom (though queendom perhaps more appropriate? lol)) but when she goes after games like Super Meat Boy as if it's making serious attempts to send some kind of message I just have to shake my head in disbelief. It's a game with a foetus for a bad guy.

I think Thunderf00t and TAA spend time on her videos simply because they enjoy video games and she's bashing on them with some pretty dumb points in places - but they do tend to ignore anything she says that is reasonable. Mind you there's also the fact that she raised 150,000 dollars on kickstarter to produce videos that are no greater quality (in terms of video style not content) than someone like Thunderf00t or potholer54. Plenty of her "research" into games could have easily been done just by watching youtube videos, and probably was. Seems like she just wanted other people to buy her video games and needed to come up with a reason.

Thunderf00t's side of the story regarding Rebecca Watson and co sounds reasonable but I haven't looked into what Watson says yet.

TAA is watchable sometimes but he is very brazen which gets on my nerves. Honestly I think he's best when he's insulting Justin Bieber more than anything else.
14-08-2013, 05:41 PM
(14-08-2013 05:38 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  I don't think that it's so much that the points feminists bring up are invalid, it's that they insist on being irrational cunts about it and disrespecting people that don't deserve it.

All aboard the rage train! t00t t00t!
14-08-2013, 05:52 PM
Oh, good. This...

Relevant:
[Image: strawfeministssm.png]

... this is my signature!
[+] 3 users Like cjlr's post