Thunderf00t and Amazing Atheist- anti-feminist douchebags

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-08-2013, 10:39 AM
RE: Thunderf00t and Amazing Atheist- anti-feminist douchebags
Hey, have you guys seen the rationalwiki entry on thunderf00t? It does a pretty nice job of explaining how he's a dickhead.

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Thunderf00t
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-08-2013, 10:55 AM
(15-08-2013 10:39 AM)mylittlepretender Wrote:  Hey, have you guys seen the rationalwiki entry on thunderf00t? It does a pretty nice job of explaining how he's a dickhead.

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Thunderf00t

This is why I dislike Rationalwiki too much opinion, not enough fact.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
15-08-2013, 10:57 AM
Crazy feminist bitches are usually called feminazis, you should try to use that word to avoid confusion. TAA is a sexist uneducated asshole, he only talks about feminazis and never read a book about feminism and tried to understand it.

There're assholes in every side of any battle...

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
15-08-2013, 11:55 AM (This post was last modified: 15-08-2013 12:29 PM by I Am.)
I haven't seen anyone take a stance against these two being anti-feminist. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Most of the discussion has been about whether that's a good thing or not... the value judgement contained in "douchebag." So essentially, people here are using these two to prop up their own feminist or anti-feminist views.

Here are 3 distinct statements of feminist goals, adapted from 3 different places. Are these good goals or not? Are these what the two people mentioned are addressing? Or are they addressing some different position that no one really takes?

1) Feminism "...advance(s) women's equality, non-violence, economic development, and, most importantly, empowerment of women and girls in all sectors of society."

2) Feminism "works to eliminate discrimination and harassment in the workplace, schools, the justice system, and all other sectors of society; secure abortion, birth control and reproductive rights for all women; end all forms of violence against women; eradicate racism, sexism and homophobia; and promote equality and justice in our society."

3) "Feminism is a lens and a way to identify injustices that are happening as well as work on potential solutions. It's mostly about gender imbalances... But feminism is also concerned with racism, homophobia, etc. It's really about being observant about injustices and being committed to correcting them, not just tolerating or excusing them."

1) is from feminist.org
2) is from National Organization for Women
3) is from feminist.com
15-08-2013, 12:10 PM (This post was last modified: 15-08-2013 12:48 PM by eksyte.)
(15-08-2013 10:57 AM)nach_in Wrote:  There're assholes in every side of any battle...

I don't believe that's anywhere near an acceptable contraction. lol

I find TJ to be mildly entertaining, and he has a good number of videos where he offers a fresh perspective on issues. He's good at finding a 3rd train of thought on issues that are generally 2-sided. I dunno if I'd call his schtick "free thinking" so much as him just being a contrarian, but many times his stuff is more than just non-typical for the sake of being non-typical. As a Louisianian, he offered some cool insight on the BP oil spill aftermath when the media had stopped giving it attention.

Tf00t did an amazing job at debunking YECs and plain old scientific illiterates like NefilimFree. He REALLY needs to stick to science and keep his nose out of social and political commentary. Promoting Draw Muhammed Day was stupid and he tried to start a series attacking the Buybull that was just abysmal. I refuse to write him off because I have a feeling that Kent Hovind is gonna be looking for "payback" when he's released, and that guy is gonna be one of the go-to motherfuckers for keeping that mega-turd in check.

EDIT: I really don't concern myself with either of them on the whole feminism topic because I just don't care and I don't think TJ or Phil have anything that important to say about it. I think both of them have just latched onto the topic because it's the current trend.

“One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision.”

- Bertrand Russel
15-08-2013, 12:23 PM
In a way, Watson's issue could be seen to boil down to this male observation of her attitude:

If I find you attractive and you make conversation/advances towards me, that's OK, and since I find it/you flattering/cool/affirming/fun, therefore you are not harassing me.

vs.

If I don't find you attractive and you make conversation/advances towards me, that is not OK, and since I find it/you weird/strange/creepy/gross, therefore you are harassing me.

I base my hypothesis on what I've read about "Elevatorgate", including her own response, and what I've seen and experienced in real life. How many times has a guy gotten an eye-roll or a dirty look from a woman just for making eye contact, or been instantly (in a rude/mean fashion) blown off at a bar when trying to start a conversation?

While I realize that women have more to fear from men in a physical sense than men do of women, and that it is probably easier and quicker for women to reject in a mean fashion, I'm not convinced that an uncivil response to a flirt does our species any good. Rejection is one thing, but when contempt is added into the mix, it then degenerates to an uncivilized level.
15-08-2013, 12:57 PM
(15-08-2013 12:10 PM)eksyte Wrote:  
(15-08-2013 10:57 AM)nach_in Wrote:  There're assholes in every side of any battle...

I don't believe that's anywhere near an acceptable contraction. lol

damn, I use it all the time... damn you English and your contractions!

15-08-2013, 01:02 PM
(15-08-2013 12:57 PM)nach_in Wrote:  
(15-08-2013 12:10 PM)eksyte Wrote:  I don't believe that's anywhere near an acceptable contraction. lol

damn, I use it all the time... damn you English and your contractions!

There're no rules against it. Given that contractions are avoided in more formal English it's simply not encountered very often. Modern English also tends to use the singular (there's) even when referring to plural cases, which further obscures it.

It is, however, perfectly permissible.

... this is my signature!
15-08-2013, 01:35 PM
(15-08-2013 01:02 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(15-08-2013 12:57 PM)nach_in Wrote:  damn, I use it all the time... damn you English and your contractions!

There're no rules against it. Given that contractions are avoided in more formal English it's simply not encountered very often. Modern English also tends to use the singular (there's) even when referring to plural cases, which further obscures it.

HA! I knew it! that's the problem with people who has english as their second language, we tend to use it more "correctly", as in we try to go by the rules, that's why you'll rarely see us use "your" instead of "you're". But of course we make these mistakes, using weird words and contractions Tongue

[+] 1 user Likes nach_in's post
15-08-2013, 02:03 PM
(15-08-2013 01:35 PM)nach_in Wrote:  
(15-08-2013 01:02 PM)cjlr Wrote:  There're no rules against it. Given that contractions are avoided in more formal English it's simply not encountered very often. Modern English also tends to use the singular (there's) even when referring to plural cases, which further obscures it.

HA! I knew it! that's the problem with people who has english as their second language, we tend to use it more "correctly", as in we try to go by the rules, that's why you'll rarely see us use "your" instead of "you're". But of course we make these mistakes, using weird words and contractions Tongue

Yabbut those are two different words...

your = something that belongs to you as in "Did you take your dog for a walk today?"
you're = You are as in "You're a fucking douche nozzle!"