Thursday: Scientists to provide update on gravitational waves

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-02-2016, 05:49 PM
RE: Thursday: Scientists to provide update on gravitational waves
(11-02-2016 05:41 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(11-02-2016 05:39 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  Space surfing, moms. Space surfing.

See that doesn't help me. Unless it has something to do with the Silver Surfer.

Oh, it totally proves the existence of the Silver Surfer. In fact, he's a-comin' fer us next if we don't shape up and act right. Can I have some money? Hobo

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-02-2016, 05:53 PM
(11-02-2016 04:33 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Can someone explain in the simplest of terms why this is a big deal?

One of the actual scientists around here can correct me but as I understand it this helps confirm current cosmological theories and that means we can be a bit more confident that we have an accurate understanding of how the universe works. The theories predicted these gravitational waves and we've never been able to confirm detecting them. It's a "science is cool" moment.

It isn't like there are any immediate practical uses for it but as Faraday is alleged to have said, in fifty years they'll be taxing it.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
11-02-2016, 05:55 PM
(11-02-2016 04:33 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Can someone explain in the simplest of terms why this is a big deal?

Allows scientists to better understand violent events that take place in the universe I.E two black holes merging. Also will allow scientists to probe the universe the same way X-rays allow us to probe human bodies.

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2016...a-big-deal

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 2 users Like JDog554's post
11-02-2016, 05:55 PM

Gravity waves are predicted to exist by the General Theory of Relativity, but have never been observed.

This is another confirmation of that theory. Einstein had it right. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 7 users Like Chas's post
11-02-2016, 05:58 PM
(11-02-2016 05:53 PM)unfogged Wrote:  

One of the actual scientists around here can correct me but as I understand it this helps confirm current cosmological theories and that means we can be a bit more confident that we have an accurate understanding of how the universe works. The theories predicted these gravitational waves and we've never been able to confirm detecting them. It's a "science is cool" moment.

It isn't like there are any immediate practical uses for it but as Faraday is alleged to have said, in fifty years they'll be taxing it.

The astrology nuts will be all over this. You'll be able to sell tin amulets that "block bad gravity waves" from Ceres or whatever for $100 a pop.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 3 users Like Old Man Marsh's post
11-02-2016, 06:00 PM
(11-02-2016 05:58 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  The astrology nuts will be all over this. You'll be able to sell tin amulets that "block bad gravity waves" from Ceres or whatever for $100 a pop.

I'll sell you one that is guaranteed to be just as effective for $75, free shipping & handling.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 3 users Like unfogged's post
11-02-2016, 06:33 PM
(11-02-2016 05:41 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(11-02-2016 05:39 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  Space surfing, moms. Space surfing.

See that doesn't help me. Unless it has something to do with the Silver Surfer.

In general, matter is distributed in such a fashion that it is relatively stable, in terms of where it is in space. The sum of all the objects in the universe exert a gravitational force on every other. Most matter moving doesn't give a strong enough signal, but two massive objects like this will generate a rapidly changing gravitational field due to their orbits. We will be able to measure the variation as a series of wavelike phenomena that will affect sensitive enough devices. Think of the universe as a still lake(!), in the sense of the way gravity changes. But a cataclysm like what is happening will be like throwing a pebble in a pond. We will observe an effect. Not the best analogy, but should convey the idea.
11-02-2016, 09:23 PM
(11-02-2016 06:00 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(11-02-2016 05:58 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  The astrology nuts will be all over this. You'll be able to sell tin amulets that "block bad gravity waves" from Ceres or whatever for $100 a pop.

I'll sell you one that is guaranteed to be just as effective for $75, free shipping & handling.

But wait! There's MORE! Act NOW and we'll send you another for just $.5.95 handling.

Don't delay, this is a limited time offer.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
11-02-2016, 09:39 PM
I'm no scientist, but I love science and struggle to understand it. I think It has to do with the idea of spacetime curving. It also has to do with being able to show us things that electromagntic waves cannot. So we can learn things from these waves that go beyond our telescopes. It can give us information about other things (black holes and such) in our universe and may even be able to tell us about the initial singularity (big bang). It's really interesting to think that Einstein thought of this so long ago and we finally have the technology and situation to add proof to the theory. Between the Higgs boson and this, I feel we live in an amazing time!

Gods don't like people not doing much work. People who aren't busy all the time might start to think.
Terry Pratchett, Small Gods
[+] 1 user Likes rebel*ox's post
11-02-2016, 10:09 PM
(11-02-2016 05:58 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  
(11-02-2016 05:53 PM)unfogged Wrote:  One of the actual scientists around here can correct me but as I understand it this helps confirm current cosmological theories and that means we can be a bit more confident that we have an accurate understanding of how the universe works. The theories predicted these gravitational waves and we've never been able to confirm detecting them. It's a "science is cool" moment.

The astrology nuts will be all over this. You'll be able to sell tin amulets that "block bad gravity waves" from Ceres or whatever for $100 a pop.

(11-02-2016 06:00 PM)unfogged Wrote:  

(11-02-2016 06:33 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(11-02-2016 05:41 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  See that doesn't help me. Unless it has something to do with the Silver Surfer.

In general, matter is distributed in such a fashion that it is relatively stable, in terms of where it is in space. The sum of all the objects in the universe exert a gravitational force on every other. Most matter moving doesn't give a strong enough signal, but two massive objects like this will generate a rapidly changing gravitational field due to their orbits. We will be able to measure the variation as a series of wavelike phenomena that will affect sensitive enough devices. Think of the universe as a still lake(!), in the sense of the way gravity changes. But a cataclysm like what is happening will be like throwing a pebble in a pond. We will observe an effect. Not the best analogy, but should convey the idea.

(11-02-2016 09:23 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(11-02-2016 06:00 PM)unfogged Wrote:  I'll sell you one that is guaranteed to be just as effective for $75, free shipping & handling.

But wait! There's MORE! Act NOW and we'll send you another for just $.5.95 handling.

Don't delay, this is a limited time offer.

This is why the bracelets are curved. They conform to the curve of space-time, thus making them even more effective than yer straight gravity wave blockers. Yes

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 4 users Like Bucky Ball's post