Tick tock

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-03-2013, 04:46 PM
RE: Tick tock
Well, now that we understand my psychic powers, read that fucking book.

I want a full report on it within the month. Drinking Beverage

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-03-2013, 04:49 PM
(29-03-2013 04:38 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(29-03-2013 03:16 PM)Adenosis Wrote:  I've become rather obsessed with time lately, if you haven't noticed my signature is the amount of time, in seconds, of life and of consciousness for the average lifespan.

Adenosis, is it that you are feeling that time is running out? How exactly are you obsessing about time?

BTW, today happens to be the 104th birthday of a man I know, use that as perspective!

104 years, 150 years, 60 years. Whenever we die our perception of time will be gone. The clock won't be ticking.

I'm not scared of or worried about death much, it just makes time more of an interesting concept to me. Focusing on time sure makes me want to change some things, like spend more time studying the things I'm interested in. I feel like I'm forced to do a bunch of crap that's just a waste of time. I get to live for a finite amount of time, roughly 100 years of consciousness (minus sleep) if you want to be optimistic. I'd like to spend that limited time doing what I want. What I want isn't to go on a killing spree, I just want to quit bad habits and study forever.

2.5 billion seconds total
1.67 billion seconds conscious

29-03-2013, 04:50 PM
(29-03-2013 04:46 PM)kim Wrote:  Well, now that we understand my psychic powers, read that fucking book.

I want a full report on it within the month. Drinking Beverage

I suppose I'll take a look.

[+] 1 user Likes Adenosis's post
29-03-2013, 05:02 PM
Tick tock
When I find my mind overthinking things, I like to go for a random walk. Go walk somewhere you've never been, but preferably in a safe neighborhood. I don't want to be responsible for getting you robbed, maimed, mauled, etc.
29-03-2013, 05:18 PM
(29-03-2013 05:02 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  When I find my mind overthinking things, I like to go for a random walk. Go walk somewhere you've never been, but preferably in a safe neighborhood. I don't want to be responsible for getting you robbed, maimed, mauled, etc.

I always over-think things. I'm highly reactive.

Safe neighbourhood?

No worries.

29-03-2013, 05:25 PM
(29-03-2013 04:49 PM)Adenosis Wrote:  Focusing on time sure makes me want to change some things, like spend more time studying the things I'm interested in. I feel like I'm forced to do a bunch of crap that's just a waste of time. I get to live for a finite amount of time, roughly 100 years of consciousness (minus sleep) if you want to be optimistic. I'd like to spend that limited time doing what I want.

That whole quote could have been penned by me at your age.

I despised then, and still do, doing things I don't want to do or like. Since I am a pragmatist, after going through the emotions of hope and self-pity and anger, I doubled-down on studying and working. I asked myself what could I do to unshackle myself from the prison of "need". I decided that I wanted to retire, and call my time my own, before turning 40 (I had to wait till I was 49).
Fast forward to today. I pretty much do whatever the hell I want whenever I want.

How did I manage this? Working long hours, working smart, planning, learning about finances, taking calculated risks, being in the right place at the right time, marrying someone with my own work ethics, living below my means for 25 years, investing cautiously.

So unless you like living on the street or have a rich aunt who leaves you a large inheritance there is no easy way I know of to get from where you are to where I am. Not saying this in a bragadoccio way, but in a pragmatic way.
I had to go through the emotional rollercoaster you seem to be going through now before I became obsessively determined that I didn't want to be an old geezer before I could call my time my own.

And along the way I had tons of fun without ever taking my eyes off my goal. I sincerely hope this helps you "recalibrate" expectations and gives you food for thought.

All the best, FC

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge

"Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.” ~ Ambrose Bierce
“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's." - Mark Twain in Eruption
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
29-03-2013, 05:55 PM
Tick tock
(29-03-2013 05:18 PM)Adenosis Wrote:  
(29-03-2013 05:02 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  When I find my mind overthinking things, I like to go for a random walk. Go walk somewhere you've never been, but preferably in a safe neighborhood. I don't want to be responsible for getting you robbed, maimed, mauled, etc.

I always over-think things. I'm highly reactive.

Safe neighbourhood?

No worries.

Dang. I don't see a lot of mental stimulation on that horizon.

Could that be what's getting to you? Cabin Crazy?

Are you a person of means? Or a working stiff like me? If you have the means and time, maybe some travel will feed your brain?
29-03-2013, 06:09 PM
(29-03-2013 05:55 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  Dang. I don't see a lot of mental stimulation on that horizon.

Could that be what's getting to you? Cabin Crazy?

Are you a person of means? Or a working stiff like me? If you have the means and time, maybe some travel will feed your brain?

I will post a picture of the view I get every time I eat upstairs. The Sweet Grass Hills are well within view, quite noticeable on the bland horizon so long as I'm wearing my glasses. I'm near-sighted. Not noticeable in a picture taken on an iphone though...

I don't have the means, working for that. Working for the means takes up the time. It's a pain. It's like being born into this world, IN DEBT. You have to work off this debt which takes up a huge chunk of your life. My life.

I'm not particularly fond the age I just so happened to be born into either. Could have been a hundred years down the road where things are much less bleak. Then again it could have been back when they nailed people they didn't like to wooden structures.

[+] 1 user Likes Adenosis's post