Tiger Woods: On any other Weekend

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-07-2013, 05:31 PM (This post was last modified: 21-07-2013 05:36 PM by Julius.)
Tiger Woods: On any other Weekend
Well, Tiger blew it again at the British Open. It's been over 5 years since Tiger has won a Major and over 4 years since Tiger has even come in second Place in a major. At this rate, it doesn't look like Jack Nicklaus' record of 18 Major wins is in any danger.

On any other weekend, Tiger can win Golf Tournaments like no other Golfer has. But...he's lost his touch in the Majors. The Majors are different. Golfers from all over - Asia, Europe, North America, South America - make a special effort to be there and qualify to compete. Major Gold Tournaments host the best of the best of the best so-to-speak. On these weekend, you not only must play great golf to win, you must play a game that is almost unearthly - like it's from a different planet. Tiger doesn't do that anymore.

Nevertheless, Tiger will end up being the winninigist Golfer in History, so there is some consolation there.

The "Majors" as played each year:

The Masters
The US Open
The British Open
PGA Championship

Most Professional Majors Wins:
Jack Nicklaus - 18
Tiger Woods - 14
Walter Hagen - 11
Ben Hogan - 9
Gary Player - 9
Tom Watson - 8
Bobby Jones - 7
Arnold Palmer - 7
Gene Sarazen - 7
Sam Snead - 7
Harry Vardon - 7
Nick Faldo - 6
Lee Trevino - 6
Seve Ballesteros - 5
James Braid - 5
Phil Mickelson - 5
Byron Nelson - 5
J.H. Taylor - 5
Peter Thomson - 5
Willie Anderson Jr. - 4
Jim Barnes - 4
Ernie Els - 4
Raymond Floyd - 4
Bobby Locke - 4
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-07-2013, 07:35 AM
RE: Tiger Woods: On any other Weekend
Tiger Woods just doesn't seem to be the same golfer he used to be. He misses putts he never used to miss. He's still really, really good, but he's not the great golfer he was.

I was surprised when a commentator mentioned (at the Open this past weekend) that if Woods didn't have at least a share of the lead after the 3rd day, he had never come back to win on the 4th day (can't remember for sure if that was just for majors or for all tournaments).

If he wants to challenge Nickalus he needs to figure out how to get back to the golfer he used to be. I'm not sure I see that as likely.
22-07-2013, 06:47 PM
(22-07-2013 07:35 AM)mdak06 Wrote:  Tiger Woods just doesn't seem to be the same golfer he used to be. He misses putts he never used to miss. He's still really, really good, but he's not the great golfer he was.

I was surprised when a commentator mentioned (at the Open this past weekend) that if Woods didn't have at least a share of the lead after the 3rd day, he had never come back to win on the 4th day (can't remember for sure if that was just for majors or for all tournaments).

If he wants to challenge Nickalus he needs to figure out how to get back to the golfer he used to be. I'm not sure I see that as likely.

I'm thinking he's done. He's still great and will go down as such, but he ain't dominating no more. Reminds me of Tyson's rapid demise after he lost Cus D'Amato. Next thing you know he'll be biting off Mickelson's ear. Big Grin

And what the fuck's up with Lefty? Instead of his customary blowing a lead, he comes from behind. The fuck's up with that. Huh

This is not my signature.
22-07-2013, 09:09 PM
(22-07-2013 06:47 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(22-07-2013 07:35 AM)mdak06 Wrote:  Tiger Woods just doesn't seem to be the same golfer he used to be. He misses putts he never used to miss. He's still really, really good, but he's not the great golfer he was.

I'm thinking he's done. He's still great and will go down as such, but he ain't dominating no more. Reminds me of Tyson's rapid demise after he lost Cus D'Amato. Next thing you know he'll be biting off Mickelson's ear. Big Grin

And what the fuck's up with Lefty? Instead of his customary blowing a lead, he comes from behind. The fuck's up with that. Huh

The wheel of the great mandala turns, the dharma shifts, karma ebbs and flows. Sleepy

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-07-2013, 09:24 PM
(22-07-2013 09:09 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(22-07-2013 06:47 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I'm thinking he's done. He's still great and will go down as such, but he ain't dominating no more. Reminds me of Tyson's rapid demise after he lost Cus D'Amato. Next thing you know he'll be biting off Mickelson's ear. Big Grin

The wheel of the great mandala turns, the dharma shifts, karma ebbs and flows. Sleepy

Wow and here I was thinking maybe he needed to get laid or something. Consider

The sun rises in the West and the bird shits on the coffeetable.

22-07-2013, 09:37 PM
(22-07-2013 09:24 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(22-07-2013 09:09 PM)Chas Wrote:  The wheel of the great mandala turns, the dharma shifts, karma ebbs and flows. Sleepy

Wow and here I was thinking maybe he needed to get laid or something. Consider

The Kama Sutra could help. Drinking Beverage

22-07-2013, 09:48 PM
(22-07-2013 09:37 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(22-07-2013 09:24 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Wow and here I was thinking maybe he needed to get laid or something. Consider

The Kama Sutra could help. Drinking Beverage

He must have that book...tho he might need to buy another one.

The sun rises in the West and the bird shits on the coffeetable.

23-07-2013, 05:01 AM
(22-07-2013 09:48 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(22-07-2013 09:37 PM)Chas Wrote:  The Kama Sutra could help. Drinking Beverage

He must have that book...tho he might need to buy another one.

Pages too sticky?

23-07-2013, 01:54 PM
(22-07-2013 06:47 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

Phil Mickelson (i.e., "Lefty") is a guy who has gotten better as he has gotten older. Winning one major after the age of 40+ is hard enough, but to win 2 Majors at 40+ puts him in some pretty-rare air! If Phil wins another Major, then I will consider him a outright golfing legend.

Back to Tiger. I really believe Tiger will eventually win so many Tournaments that no one will touch his record for 100+ years (and I think it could happen by next year). Unfortunately for Tiger, I think Nicklaus' 18-Majors Record is quite safe - and this is the record that Tiger really wanted to beat as a young man.
23-07-2013, 02:47 PM
(23-07-2013 01:54 PM)Julius Wrote:  
(22-07-2013 06:47 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I'm thinking he's done. He's still great and will go down as such, but he ain't dominating no more. Reminds me of Tyson's rapid demise after he lost Cus D'Amato. Next thing you know he'll be biting off Mickelson's ear. Big Grin

Phil Mickelson (i.e., "Lefty") is a guy who has gotten better as he has gotten older. Winning one major after the age of 40+ is hard enough, but to win 2 Majors at 40+ puts him in some pretty-rare air! If Phil wins another Major, then I will consider him a outright golfing legend.

Back to Tiger. I really believe Tiger will eventually win so many Tournaments that no one will touch his record for 100+ years (and I think it could happen by next year). Unfortunately for Tiger, I think Nicklaus' 18-Majors Record is quite safe - and this is the record that Tiger really wanted to beat as a young man.

If he does it, even with time off for bad behavior, he will be legend.