Tim Tebow & God

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-01-2017, 07:40 AM
Tim Tebow & God
Have you seen Tim Tebow's 316 stats?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ILz_9KRwzB8

How can this be coincidence? I mean, I know God has bigger problems in the world to be concerned about than a football celebrity's game stats. But that still doesn't explain the numbers...
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-01-2017, 07:52 AM
RE: Tim Tebow & God
You know that god has bigger problems? From where you took the idea of thing called god even existing?

Also do you really think that god is needed to explain some sport scores? Almighty creator of everything allows for wars, genocides, hunger, persecution, natural disasters but is concerned with sport? Grow up.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
21-01-2017, 08:00 AM
(21-01-2017 07:52 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  You know that god has bigger problems? From where you took the idea of thing called god even existing?

Also do you really think that god is needed to explain some sport scores? Almighty creator of everything allows for wars, genocides, hunger, persecution, natural disasters but is concerned with sport? Grow up.

I suspect op was using sarcasm...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
21-01-2017, 08:05 AM
(21-01-2017 08:00 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(21-01-2017 07:52 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  You know that god has bigger problems? From where you took the idea of thing called god even existing?

I suspect op was using sarcasm...

I remember his earlier post about his lactose intolerant friend so I very much doubt that this was sarcasm.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
21-01-2017, 08:57 AM
(21-01-2017 07:40 AM)DoubtingThomas Wrote:  How can this be coincidence? I mean, I know God has bigger problems in the world to be concerned about than a football celebrity's game stats. But that still doesn't explain the numbers...

This is what you are saying:

[Image: thanks-J_zpslnxu0wvt.jpg]

Think about that carefully.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 10 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
21-01-2017, 09:40 AM
(21-01-2017 07:40 AM)DoubtingThomas Wrote:  Have you seen Tim Tebow's 316 stats?

How can this be coincidence? I mean, I know God has bigger problems in the world to be concerned about than a football celebrity's game stats. But that still doesn't explain the numbers...

I have posted this multiple times when “coincidences” just seem to be improbable, well worth the listen.

There is a whole series of these Thumbsup
http://www.radiolab.org/search/?q=stocha...chasticity

This is the first one and the one I have linked before.
http://www.radiolab.org/story/91684-stochasticity/[/url]

Let me know what you think afterwards.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
21-01-2017, 10:04 AM
(21-01-2017 07:40 AM)DoubtingThomas Wrote:  Have you seen Tim Tebow's 316 stats?

This is pattern fitting, they're digging through stats and pulling out anything related to 316.

This is post-hoc rationalization, Denver also got their asses handed to them the very next week by the Patriots 45-10.

So this is how a god speaks to us? By making some selected stats in a sports game match a verse reference in an English translated bible?

And then the same quarterback a week later leading the same team gets drubbed by the New England Patriots. Facepalm

This is fucking stupid and only highlights how humans make errors in thinking in regards to pattern matching, we make patterns to fit things (pareidolia). Post-hoc rationalizations are key to fooling people into thinking something is significant about a pattern match.

As you already pointed out, if god is sending an obtuse message through arranging stats in a sports game, while suffering in this world is ignored, then this god is an asshole.

And then there is the whole issue of free will, so lets compare:

Did god cause Teebow and his receivers to catch enough balls, to make just enough yards to get a certain number to affect the outcome of a football game or did we just see some arbitrary patterns in the numbers of this particular game?

One of these propositions is bat-shit crazy, with all of the insane theological implications wrapped up in this assertion. If you have difficulty determining which scenario is more likely, then too bad, you've created a god that affects the outcome of some football games to send weird messages, but doesn't lift a finger to help people suffering in this world.

Your god, the sports bookie. Facepalm

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 5 users Like TheInquisition's post
21-01-2017, 10:17 AM
Coincidence? Of Course.
I refuse to believe in the fantastical until all other explanations have been eliminated.
Faith is not an explanation.
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
21-01-2017, 01:24 PM

This video is not available in my country.

If we assume that Tim Tebow's stats are the work of the AllMighty then we must assume that the absence of this message is the result of God's ineptitude. Or that Canadians simply don't need saving.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
21-01-2017, 01:42 PM
I'm honestly sad this isn't about The Unexpected Bar Mitzvah.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user