Tim in Alabama
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-10-2011, 08:59 AM
Tim in Alabama
Married, 3kids(13,11&11)
Two years ago, my wife found my copy of "Atheist Universe" (by David Mills). She didn't say much but later asked "Do you believe in God", and I told her no. We haven't had much discussion about it since. We weren't that deeply religious anyway. I was raised Catholic, she Baptist - I never felt comfortable around the Baptist types anyway.
She likes to think she's a devout X-tian but rarely gets out-o-bed early enough to take the kids to church. She'd probably say she doesn't want to go alone, but I think she'd rather just sleep in. That aside, our marriage is on-the-rocks anyway,
We're sorta stuck to a bad mortgage and don't have alot of options financially.
I don't advertise my 'disbelief' to the kids beyond an occasional 'jab' at the tv/radio stories about how "God saved me from that Earthquake" and I ask (rhetorically) "Why did he make it happen in the first place?" (hopefully make them think about it at least).
We're stuck together and religion doesn't come up too much anyway (which is ok by me). Except for the Mother-in-Law, and that's another story.

btw: I still don't know what she did with my copy of "Atheist Universe". I always thought she might read it and then we'd talk about it but, like I said, it's been two years. And personally, she's the type that I think needs religion anyway
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-10-2011, 11:25 AM
RE: Tim in Alabama
Welcome to the forum eggy.

I'd like to make a suggestion if I may.
I think a lot of people make the mistake of teaching their kids that god is bad. ie. why did he let the earthquake happen in the first place. This implies to your kids that he does exist, and that he's nasty. A different (and better imo) route, is to comment on thanking the rescuers. When someone credits god for something like curing a disease, I am always careful to point out the hard work of the doctors and scientists instead of pointing out that god made the disease in the first place. It gives kids an easier route to make a decision based on the positive instead of the negative.

But that's just me.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post