Time

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-09-2012, 09:47 PM
RE: Time
(30-09-2012 07:07 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(30-09-2012 07:03 PM)I and I Wrote:  Your quantum religion is a joke.

Can you sense "real time"? You are so sure that it exists..... your buddy already said that there is no causal relation between perceived time and real time so how do you sense real time without perceiving it?

No, I didn't say that. I answered your apparently badly worded question.

You persist in saying we can't perceive time or space, yet we do.

You also said that the perception of time is different than time, I then asked if "real" time was related to the perception of time in a causal way, you said no. If our perception of time isn't related to "real" time and if we can never sense "real" time how does one know that there is "time" that is beyond what human mind(S) perceive?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-09-2012, 10:54 PM
(30-09-2012 09:47 PM)I and I Wrote:  
(30-09-2012 07:07 PM)Chas Wrote:  No, I didn't say that. I answered your apparently badly worded question.

You persist in saying we can't perceive time or space, yet we do.

You also said that the perception of time is different than time, I then asked if "real" time was related to the perception of time in a causal way, you said no. If our perception of time isn't related to "real" time and if we can never sense "real" time how does one know that there is "time" that is beyond what human mind(S) perceive?

Troll has False Premise, and changed the terms of the debate. (I thought Troll was a Philosopher??). Don't they require Trolls to take Logic, in Troll school ? Tongue

He said time was not related in a CAUSAL way to perception. Then in the last sentence Troll conflates again, percetion of, and actual time, and left out the Causality. He didn't say they "weren't related". He said they weren't realted in a *causal* way. Sheesh. I sure hope this person has no thought of pursing this field any further, as Troll obviously lacks any critical thinking skills.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
Isaiah 45:7 "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things" (KJV)

[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
30-09-2012, 11:20 PM
People will vehemently defend their "belief" systems.

(an observation of everybody including myself)

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
01-10-2012, 12:46 AM
AW: RE: Time
(30-09-2012 11:20 PM)bemore Wrote:  People will vehemently defend their "belief" systems.

What belief system are you talking about in this context?

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
01-10-2012, 12:52 AM (This post was last modified: 01-10-2012 06:57 AM by Bucky Ball.)
RE: AW: Time
(01-10-2012 12:46 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(30-09-2012 11:20 PM)bemore Wrote:  People will vehemently defend their "belief" systems.

What belief system are you talking about in this context?

The OP has been trying to tell us that one of the dimensions of spacetime, (time), exists only as a perceptive phenomenon in human brains, and is not anything other than that. She thinks she will live forever, and has always existed. Oh wait, that makes her a god.

Isaiah 45:7 "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things" (KJV)

01-10-2012, 01:27 AM
The reason behind my last statement is simply an observation of this thread from my personal point of view.

One one hand I can see where the OP is coming from where there is a belief that "time" is not tangible (more of a metaphorical arguement).... on the other hand though I can see where Bucky and Chas are going by showing that with certain observations, time exists (be it in a dimension...whatever.... I dont know enough behind the science of it to comment in depth)

People will "vehemently" defend their belief systems.... that is why insults and name calling are coming into the debate.... thats why I mentioned it, just an observation from a neutral perspective.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post
01-10-2012, 12:28 PM
RE: AW: Time
(01-10-2012 12:52 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(01-10-2012 12:46 AM)Vosur Wrote:  What belief system are you talking about in this context?

The OP has been trying to tell us that one of the dimensions of spacetime, (time), exists only as a perceptive phenomenon in human brains, and is not anything other than that. She thinks she will live forever, and has always existed. Oh wait, that makes her a god.

What are you talking about forever existing?

Time is a concept of human minds it is a concept that is very useful and helps humans relate to and understand the material world outside our minds. I am not dismissing time by saying it is just a concept, it is a very useful concept and helps humans. Time is a concept that is used to help humans make sense of and compartmentalize events and objects and to have a sense of trajectory with use of memory. There is no entity/dimension/property like time that exists outside our physical bodies in any kind of physical form.
01-10-2012, 12:39 PM
Well then. She just refuted herself. If there are "events" then time exists, outside her mind. If one "event" *happened*, in a different *frame*, then "event 1", is not identical to "event 2". WTF does she think an "event" is for christ sake ?

01-10-2012, 01:15 PM
(01-10-2012 12:39 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Well then. She just refuted herself. If there are "events" then time exists, outside her mind. If one "event" *happened*, in a different *frame*, then "event 1", is not identical to "event 2". WTF does she think an "event" is for christ sake ?

No, people, things and places exist outside our minds, and in order to make sense of all the things that happen with the things outside our minds we use time to compartmentalize and understand the things around us. When you say event 1 happened before event 2 you are using time and memory to place things in a linear order so you can understand things better, you are doing it retroactively.
01-10-2012, 02:01 PM
(24-09-2012 11:29 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I didn't say it's a "physical entity". It's a "property", or a dimension, of this universe. Physics does not know yet what time is, exactly.

It has to do with change, and probably more precisely, time is how we measure change; as simply measuring the change from day to night, and further subdivisions into the standardization of hours and minutes.

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool