Time

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-09-2012, 10:54 AM
RE: Time
I know, huh? It's just too simple... like donut. Got a hole! Can't explain that! Therefore, god.

And you can't prove me wrong! trolololololololololololololololooooooo Big Grin

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-09-2012, 03:10 PM
(30-09-2012 10:48 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(30-09-2012 08:06 AM)I and I Wrote:  nice that you finally admit that time cannot be sense by the 5 senses. And no, we don't have to sense something RIGHT NOW to know if it exists or not.

Since we have a mind, we can guess or remember what something might be like to the senses. Our guesses, inferences, memories are all shaped by concepts and ideas that most cultures have in common, different cultures will have different concepts or similar conferences. One of the concepts that our minds do use is time, we use this to make sense of and categorize many events and things we see and experience. Objects in space have to be categorized by a human mind before we can even study any of these things. The observance of things and measurement of the movement of things and categorization of these changes in things are real observations that we use concepts to help us understand these things. Time is a necessary concept in which we humans categorize events and things in order to help us understand the world around us. Same thing as love, love is not an independent thing or property outside humans that somehow influences us, it is a concept that we as a culture all similarly use.

You continue to be confused by the fact that 'time' and 'sense of time' are not the same thing. Time exists as a dimension of space-time regardless of our perception.
Things don't all happen at the same time.

A sense of something doesn't prove that it is a real thing that is independent of human consciousness. If I told you that Santa isn't real, your response shouldn't be "but the presents are real" no shit sherlock there are countless ways to calculate and perceive time, that doesn't make it an independent thing/property/ and now dimension.

No, I am not confusing the two, I am saying time is only a perception (a human one) and that is it. You guys are claiming there is both the "real time" and the "perception of it".
Find all posts by this user
30-09-2012, 03:17 PM
(30-09-2012 03:10 PM)I and I Wrote:  
(30-09-2012 10:48 AM)Chas Wrote:  You continue to be confused by the fact that 'time' and 'sense of time' are not the same thing. Time exists as a dimension of space-time regardless of our perception.

A sense of something doesn't prove that it is a real thing that is independent of human consciousness. If I told you that Santa isn't real, your response shouldn't be "but the presents are real" no shit sherlock there are countless ways to calculate and perceive time, that doesn't make it an independent thing/property/ and now dimension.

No, I am not confusing the two, I am saying time is only a perception (a human one) and that is it. You guys are claiming there is both the "real time" and the "perception of it".

Yes, exactly. Time exists as a dimension of space-time independent of your perception. The proof is that events don't, in fact, happen simultaneously.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
30-09-2012, 03:17 PM
(30-09-2012 03:10 PM)I and I Wrote:  
(30-09-2012 10:48 AM)Chas Wrote:  You continue to be confused by the fact that 'time' and 'sense of time' are not the same thing. Time exists as a dimension of space-time regardless of our perception.

Yes we are. And the fact that the two clocks TO MY BRAIN, show TWO different times, (Relativity), PROVES it's not just my, (singular) perception.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
The noblest of the dogs is the hot dog. It feeds the hand that bites it.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
30-09-2012, 03:33 PM
(30-09-2012 03:17 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(30-09-2012 03:10 PM)I and I Wrote:  A sense of something doesn't prove that it is a real thing that is independent of human consciousness. If I told you that Santa isn't real, your response shouldn't be "but the presents are real" no shit sherlock there are countless ways to calculate and perceive time, that doesn't make it an independent thing/property/ and now dimension.

Yes we are. And the fact that the two clocks TO MY BRAIN, show TWO different times, (Relativity), PROVES it's not just my, (singular) perception.

Nobody ever said that time is YOUR (singular) perception.

According to you is the perception of time related to real time in any causal way?
30-09-2012, 03:36 PM
(30-09-2012 03:33 PM)I and I Wrote:  
(30-09-2012 03:17 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Yes we are. And the fact that the two clocks TO MY BRAIN, show TWO different times, (Relativity), PROVES it's not just my, (singular) perception.

Nobody ever said that time is YOUR (singular) perception.

According to you is the perception of time related to real time in any causal way?

No.

30-09-2012, 03:38 PM
(30-09-2012 03:36 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(30-09-2012 03:33 PM)I and I Wrote:  Nobody ever said that time is YOUR (singular) perception.

No.

So it's not possible to perceive real time?
30-09-2012, 03:40 PM
(30-09-2012 03:38 PM)I and I Wrote:  
(30-09-2012 03:36 PM)Chas Wrote:  No.

So it's not possible to perceive time?

That's not what you asked. The perception of time has no causal effect on time.

We perceive the passage of time just as we perceive extent of 3-space.

30-09-2012, 03:50 PM
Why are you guys arguing with a person who cannot use logic and reason?

It's like talking to an earthworm. Boring and fruitless.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
30-09-2012, 03:56 PM
(30-09-2012 03:40 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(30-09-2012 03:38 PM)I and I Wrote:  So it's not possible to perceive time?

That's not what you asked. The perception of time has no causal effect on time.

We perceive the passage of time just as we perceive extent of 3-space.

Is it possible to perceive real time?

If the perception of time has no causal relation to real time, then why are the perceptions of time and the tools used to perceive such as the ones used in quantum mechanics used as representations of real time?
[+] 1 user Likes I and I's post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Gathering perspectives: space and time living thing 17 277 21-04-2014 11:37 AM
Last Post: living thing
  would you use a time machine to change your past dj-hato 23 957 15-04-2013 11:44 AM
Last Post: Erxomai
  At what point is it (time to die)? Birdguy1979 8 585 10-12-2012 03:50 AM
Last Post: Misanthropik
  Time is like water Crusher 8 705 04-06-2012 03:37 PM
Last Post: Bucky Ball
  Time houseofcantor 10 825 08-05-2012 02:49 PM
Last Post: free2011
  Time, Meditation and Religious Belief Thomas 12 680 02-05-2012 09:09 PM
Last Post: houseofcantor
  Why do we atheists talk to god all the time? Zatamon 19 2,105 25-09-2011 07:15 PM
Last Post: GirlyMan