Time

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-08-2016, 08:30 AM
Time
So I have been reading various threads here on time and numbers. I have been observing animals in regards to that, and so this post is neither scientific nor philosophical nor based on any official research, but just something that has puzzled me.

Much to my dismay, my dogs seem to always know what time it is. It's annoying because their schedules are set according to daylight, and not the clock. This becomes a pain for instance now, as the morning feeding is starting to take place later in the morning. This is especially hard to understand for my 8 month old Great Dane. She wants to be fed at 6am. On the dot. That's what it has been for a few months. But, it gets light later now and feeding is an hour later. She has not connected the light factor and feeding yet, but for some reason she has an internal clock that tells time, to the minute.

My other dogs are older and have lived through some seasons and understand the light factor.

Now, wouldn't it be more logical for animals to be naturally in tune with the daylight cycle than a clock?

Oh, and she is not taking clues from me, my own schedule also goes by daylight, now that I am retired. I don't live by the clock at all anymore.

It puzzles me.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-08-2016, 08:53 AM
RE: Time
Our dogs will enter the kitchen at 4 PM promptly, ready to be fed. One is a new puppy and I think she just follows the other's lead.
23-08-2016, 08:59 AM
(23-08-2016 08:30 AM)Dom Wrote:  So I have been reading various threads here on time and numbers. I have been observing animals in regards to that, and so this post is neither scientific nor philosophical nor based on any official research, but just something that has puzzled me.

Much to my dismay, my dogs seem to always know what time it is. It's annoying because their schedules are set according to daylight, and not the clock. This becomes a pain for instance now, as the morning feeding is starting to take place later in the morning. This is especially hard to understand for my 8 month old Great Dane. She wants to be fed at 6am. On the dot. That's what it has been for a few months. But, it gets light later now and feeding is an hour later. She has not connected the light factor and feeding yet, but for some reason she has an internal clock that tells time, to the minute.

My other dogs are older and have lived through some seasons and understand the light factor.

Now, wouldn't it be more logical for animals to be naturally in tune with the daylight cycle than a clock?

Oh, and she is not taking clues from me, my own schedule also goes by daylight, now that I am retired. I don't live by the clock at all anymore.

It puzzles me.

Our dog did that too. He always had difficulties adjusting to the clock changes, although he did eventually. It took a couple of weeks, minimum.

My theory is that the dog's attuned to its stomach more than daylight. It's used to filling up at a certain time, so that's the time to eat.
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
23-08-2016, 09:25 AM
Well, I also feed hubby's feral cat colony. At sundown I put food out in an old trailer, they file in and I lock them up for the night. (For their own protection as well as that of the local bird population. And, yes, they are all fixed. ).

They always show up just as the sun sets. No clocks in their stomach.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
23-08-2016, 10:15 AM
My husband works odd hours. He is usually up and moving around between 3 am and 3:30 am and leaves by 4 at the latest.

The routine worked pretty well with the older three dogs. They knew that when his alarm went off they were going to go outside to use the bathroom then come back in and each get one small treat (of course the cat comes running for his treat too)...then they got a drink of water and all went back to sleep.

Ziggy hasn't figured this program out yet. He thinks the day has started at around 3:30 am and is up for tearing through the house, antagonizing the cat, dragging toys out, and trying to get me to play with him. The other two dogs still do their thing and try to go back to sleep.

Setting my alarm for 6 this morning to get ready for an interview turned into me giving up and getting up at 4 because Ziggy didn't understand that it was still dark and time for sleep. Undecided

About 5:45 he curled up in a ball and went back to sleep. Dodgy Little shit.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
23-08-2016, 10:26 AM
You're making some basic assumptions that lead you astray.....

It's very likely for a dog to show up for feeding at a certain time ---The dog most certainly DOES have a "clock" -- it's just way different than yours - it doesn't necessarily "read" the clock visually...

It's very likely that a dog hears something that you might not -- that happens on a regular basis.... For instance -- it might hear a certain car driving by. Dogs hearing is superb - and they can tell the difference between one car and another.

I had a Bouvier (a big shaggy mutt) - and my GF at the time said she always knew when I was about to show up - because the dog went nuts at the sound of my bike, and my car. She said she was amazed - the dog could tell the difference between my bike - and any other Harley (which I was riding at the time)..... If another bike came by - the dog wouldn't react (unless it pulled in the driveway) --- but my bike - the dog would be going around in circles by the door - when I was still out of hearing (human) range....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
23-08-2016, 11:13 AM
(23-08-2016 10:26 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  You're making some basic assumptions that lead you astray.....

It's very likely for a dog to show up for feeding at a certain time ---The dog most certainly DOES have a "clock" -- it's just way different than yours - it doesn't necessarily "read" the clock visually...

It's very likely that a dog hears something that you might not -- that happens on a regular basis.... For instance -- it might hear a certain car driving by. Dogs hearing is superb - and they can tell the difference between one car and another.

I had a Bouvier (a big shaggy mutt) - and my GF at the time said she always knew when I was about to show up - because the dog went nuts at the sound of my bike, and my car. She said she was amazed - the dog could tell the difference between my bike - and any other Harley (which I was riding at the time)..... If another bike came by - the dog wouldn't react (unless it pulled in the driveway) --- but my bike - the dog would be going around in circles by the door - when I was still out of hearing (human) range....

I am quite aware of the amazing superiority of dogs in hearing and smelling, the dog's sensory perception of the world is much more complex and precise than ours. Their eyesight is not so hot, but they are expert at recognizing body language communications, although they can only assign the emotion to it, not the reason.
(the biggest mistake made all the time by people is to assume the dog feels "guilt". Guilt is a human concept. The dog sees your anger and makes itself as inconspicuous as possible, it gets small and lets everything hang down to make itself even smaller, people interpret this as looking guilty. Meanwhile the dog has truly no idea what the cause of your anger is, it could be anything...)

Anyway, yes, sounds can be it. There is, however, no sound here in the boonies in the early morning, even the crickets have gone to sleep. The first noise of the day is the birds - at sunrise. Nothing before that.

23-08-2016, 12:28 PM (This post was last modified: 23-08-2016 12:34 PM by The Dark One.)
We're way out in the country too, and we have 16 dogs. 5 live inside, and the rest are outside dogs- they have a house of their own and 47 acres to roam. They all react to something that tells them the time, no matter where the sun is...obviously. But I have no idea what it is...most animals are on a solar clock, but dogs are so adapted to humans, that they get their clues elsewhere. I can't imagine what it is, here...but they're amazingly accurate!

It's a bit annoying sometimes- the dogs are supposed to bring the critters back to the corral at sundown- so predators don't get them in the dark. (we have various types of livestock wandering the property) We can never get the dogs to learn "sundown". They bring the animals in at 6. Works great in winter, but in summer it's three hours or so early! No matter what I do, they bring 'em in at 6. Within 15 minutes of 6, year round.
[+] 1 user Likes The Dark One's post
23-08-2016, 01:32 PM
(23-08-2016 12:28 PM)The Dark One Wrote:  We're way out in the country too, and we have 16 dogs. 5 live inside, and the rest are outside dogs- they have a house of their own and 47 acres to roam. They all react to something that tells them the time, no matter where the sun is...obviously. But I have no idea what it is...most animals are on a solar clock, but dogs are so adapted to humans, that they get their clues elsewhere. I can't imagine what it is, here...but they're amazingly accurate!

It's a bit annoying sometimes- the dogs are supposed to bring the critters back to the corral at sundown- so predators don't get them in the dark. (we have various types of livestock wandering the property) We can never get the dogs to learn "sundown". They bring the animals in at 6. Works great in winter, but in summer it's three hours or so early! No matter what I do, they bring 'em in at 6. Within 15 minutes of 6, year round.

Yes, that! That's exactly what I am talking about.

[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
23-08-2016, 05:09 PM
Honestly, the whole thing about pets living on the clock is not just that they like to keep on a schedule. It is, to a big part, also us making them insist on that schedule because we live on one as well. So when you get up, feed the dogs, get ready for work, breakfast, and leave. that is always at the same time. They know your schedule and are looking forward to it.
I have never had my pets on schedules and they never insisted on anything at a specific time.
I would feed or play with or walk them regularly but within rough time windows instead of specific times.
Maybe it sounds odd or cruel but my pets, all of them, have always been happy and sweet and healthy. So yeah it is possible to have them relax on that kind of stuff - all of them. I had dogs, cats, bunnies, guinea pigs, and birds. All of them understood that there is no schedule and none of them suffered.
(and once we move, I will have "off schedule pets" again Big Grin )

Cheers

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
[+] 1 user Likes Leerob's post