Time. And why I like watches.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-04-2015, 02:56 PM
Didn't know where else to put this. I feel it fits the subject of Philosophy well. (or maybe private logic) If there is a better place for this thread I ask the mods to do as they see fit. And I apologize in advance for any nuisance I've caused.

As an Atheist I don't believe in an afterlife. When you're dead, in my opinion, that's it. Nothing. Time is therefore finite. You never get any more of it. How much I have left is only partially up to me. There are likely infinite variations. 8 years in the army taught me to respect time. It reminds me of a quote:

Quote:Quentin R. Bufogle
“I want an avowed atheist in the White House. When time comes to push that button, I want whoever's making the decision to understand that once it's pushed, it's over. Finito. They're not gonna have lunch with Jesus. Won't be deflowering 72 virgins on the great shag carpet of eternity, or reincarnated as a cow. I want someone making that decision who believes life on this Earth isn't just a dress rehearsal for something better -- but the only shot we get.”

Given my opinion of time, how you use it, and how you measure it, means something. I collect watches. Even before I had the ability to analyze any Philosophical theories, I liked watches. I'm not sure I'll ever be able to fully explain why, even to myself. Anybody who knows watches (or spends 10 minutes 'googling' them) knows that they can have some egregious prices. Here is a watch worth more than the house I'll probably end up buying:

Fair warning, large picture
[Image: Patek+Philippe+New+Ref.+5101R+10-Day+Tou...gold+1.jpg]

Patek Philippe 357,000.00

Patek Philippe makes Rolex look like toys. I'll never own a Rolex (or a Patek for that matter). You can do better for the price. Though they are quite nice.

Shortly I'll be purchasing this (watch on my Avatar):

[Image: Screenshot%2023_zpsbp7yuim9.png]

Breitling Avenger II Seawolf. I like diving watches, they tend to be tough and this is no exception.

To be fair, plenty of people buy a nice watch to "show off" or "flaunt" or for "bling"/whatever. (looking at you Rolex). So in the watch collecting world there is much discussion on who is a true enthusiast, or who's just trying to impress you. Generally speaking, any "nice" watch I buy, will go unnoticed here in Nebraska/the midwest. And that's fine by me. While I like something shiny as much as the next person, I don't care if people notice. It is not my intent to impress anybody. (though I do love a good conversation about watches, but I suppose I should get to the point).

Believing as I do that life is a countdown, I want for myself to be reminded the importance of "Time". While I suppose there are many ways to remind yourself how important time is, and not to waste it, this is how I choose to do it. (though by now you probably think me insane)

Everybody visualizes the countdown differently.

What is your opinion of Time?

The essence of life is statistical improbability on a colossal scale.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Spooky's post
01-04-2015, 04:06 PM
RE: Time. And why I like watches.
Time is an interesting concept.
Like "what" existed ad infinitum pre the Big Bang.
Along with the actual genesis of such....???

That battle quote comes across as a bit odd, given
the 'in god we trust' heavy U.S proclamation.,,,,
[+] 1 user Likes Mr Woof's post
01-04-2015, 04:42 PM (This post was last modified: 01-04-2015 04:46 PM by Alex K.)
Time has so many aspects to it that one can talk about it for hours and not even scratch the surface. To me currently it is a parameter in field equations.

While I'm not all that interested in watches, I can appreciate the mechanics of precise time pieces. Have you been to the Greenwich observatory? The keep the Harrison clocks there, which I found endlessly fascinating. They were the first clocks to work precisely enough on ships to measure longitude

[Image: d6783-3-h1-side.jpg]

Quantum Physics: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
[+] 1 user Likes Alex K's post
01-04-2015, 05:07 PM
(01-04-2015 04:42 PM)Alex K Wrote:  Time has so many aspects to it that one can talk about it for hours...

[Image: what-you-did-there-i-see-it.thumbnail.jpg]

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 6 users Like Anjele's post
01-04-2015, 07:44 PM
(01-04-2015 04:06 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  Time is an interesting concept.
Like "what" existed ad infinitum pre the Big Bang.
Along with the actual genesis of such....???

That battle quote comes across as a bit odd, given
the 'in god we trust' heavy U.S proclamation.,,,,

True. Were a presidential candidate to proclaim atheism, it would still today likely be political suicide. I considered the quote applicable due to its references to a lack of afterlife. Also, I like it too Shy

And can't say I've been to the Greenwich observatory. Sounds like an interesting place. Have you been?

The essence of life is statistical improbability on a colossal scale.
01-04-2015, 08:06 PM
As for watches, I love pocket watches. Got a new one a couple weeks ago. Looking for a good, affordable wristwatch.
01-04-2015, 08:11 PM
(01-04-2015 05:07 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(01-04-2015 04:42 PM)Alex K Wrote:  Time has so many aspects to it that one can talk about it for hours...

Yup, that's me, even more subtle than a sledge hammer

Quantum Physics: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
[+] 1 user Likes Alex K's post
01-04-2015, 08:16 PM
The people who would buy that Patek watch for a third of a million are probably the same demographic that would stock this accessory in their garage, purchased by the case. It's a demographic at a level of wealth so high they don't feel right unless they spend well above average for something. They like to say price is no object, but it is very much the object, the more exorbitant the better it strokes their psychology.

I'd love to develop something that would appeal to that demographic - that'd be a business with a 400% profit margin. Maybe by next week.

I recognize your attraction to the watch isn't its price tag and if you could afford it you'd get it, but you wouldn't also put in an order for a case of Atlantique. I don't think, anyway.

Unfortunately for those of us who prize mechanical excellence, the microchip has ruined any meaningful future for the machine shop. Just about any mechanical task can be perfectly performed by a robot arm with a phillips screwdriver, a knife, a vice-grip, a hammer, and a microchip with 100,000,000,000 lines of code. Hence artifacts like that Patek watch are pieces of art, not anything practical. Except that I think even that Patek is more a product of the computer than of handiwork, and fetches its high price by limiting production and exploiting the market value of the Patek brand.

Meanwhile I hope you find a way to afford the watches you most prize.
[+] 1 user Likes Airportkid's post
01-04-2015, 08:20 PM (This post was last modified: 01-04-2015 08:24 PM by Alex K.)
(01-04-2015 07:44 PM)Spooky Wrote:  And can't say I've been to the Greenwich observatory. Sounds like an interesting place. Have you been?

Yes, once... they have a whole museum wing dedicated to measuring the longitude at see.
Funny story: there was this endless line to wait for a photo op standing on the stupid meridian, with what an half hour wait or more. Meanwhile, the meridian has this funny property that it doesn't end at the observatory garden fence, and inside the house it is even marked where it leads up to one of the optical instruments. Noone seemed to notice this perfectly cromulent stretch of meridian...

01-04-2015, 08:37 PM
I liked the quote.

I don’t like jewelry on men but I have two pieces I will wear, my wedding band and my Rolex Explorer watch (stainless steel, black face). Maybe it had something to do with seeing all the men in my family wearing one, something of a rite of passage.

I waited way longer than the rest of my brothers to finally succumb to buying one. My wife knew I had been thinking about it for a decade and then on a trip to Dubai we were walking in the airport where the display of decadence was overwhelming, everything was on exhibition from Rolls Royce and Lamborghinis, diamonds shops and a luxury watch dealer. I stopped to look and she said, “buy it”, get it out of your system. So I did. The watch was near the bottom of the barrel compared to time pieces priced well over $100,000, crazy stuff.

Nowdays I don’t wear it often but when I first got it I decided to test out its waterproof boast and so I would take it down diving to more than 100 feet, didn’t faze it.

Time fascinates me as well.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce