Time. And why I like watches.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-04-2015, 05:59 AM
RE: Time. And why I like watches.
(01-04-2015 08:37 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  I liked the quote.

I don’t like jewelry on men but I have two pieces I will wear, my wedding band and my Rolex Explorer watch (stainless steel, black face). Maybe it had something to do with seeing all the men in my family wearing one, something of a rite of passage.

I waited way longer than the rest of my brothers to finally succumb to buying one. My wife knew I had been thinking about it for a decade and then on a trip to Dubai we were walking in the airport where the display of decadence was overwhelming, everything was on exhibition from Rolls Royce and Lamborghinis, diamonds shops and a luxury watch dealer. I stopped to look and she said, “buy it”, get it out of your system. So I did. The watch was near the bottom of the barrel compared to time pieces priced well over $100,000, crazy stuff.

Nowdays I don’t wear it often but when I first got it I decided to test out its waterproof boast and so I would take it down diving to more than 100 feet, didn’t faze it.

Time fascinates me as well.

I hope I didn't offend you in my OP. To be quite honest I like Rolex. I would love to have the current Submariner ref. 114060. I have handled it, and it's quite stunning in person. But I presently cannot swing the 9500.00'ish msrp. And even if I could the wife wants a new car (which is fair). I'm a member of a few watch forums and my comment is only to reference the debate over Rolex.
For now I'll have to settle with the Breitling. It has a few things going for it though. While I like the Sub's ceramic bezel, the all stainless bezel on the Avenger is arguably more durable. Plus I'll get ten times the water resistance for half the price. Perhaps someday Smile

As far as leaving the US goes I've only done it twice, and both times involved body armor. My wife really wants to go to New Zealand though. (she's a lord of the rings fan)

Back to the subject of time, I'm also something of a Dr. Who fan. I'm not educated enough on physics to have an opinion on the possibility of time travel, but it's a fun idea.

Some people find my opinion of "life is a countdown" to be somewhat morose. But I feel it makes me better able to appreciate my existence.

The essence of life is statistical improbability on a colossal scale.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-04-2015, 06:03 AM
It's becoming a thing of the past to wear a watch.

A while back I was talking to a young lady - early 20's I'd guess -- and noticed she was wearing a man's watch.

I commented on it -- and she had no idea that there was such a thing as mens and ladies watches.....

I think she thought I was putting her on about it.....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
02-04-2015, 07:46 AM
(02-04-2015 06:03 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  It's becoming a thing of the past to wear a watch.

A while back I was talking to a young lady - early 20's I'd guess -- and noticed she was wearing a man's watch.

I commented on it -- and she had no idea that there was such a thing as mens and ladies watches.....

I think she thought I was putting her on about it.....

I honestly thought there was some sort of "style" where that was intentional. Interesting.

The essence of life is statistical improbability on a colossal scale.
02-04-2015, 08:35 AM
I love watches although I don´t wear one.

I love designs designs by Girard-Perregaux . Tourbillon obviously for the prestige.

If we don´t go that expensive, Bvlgary has some beautiful watches too.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
02-04-2015, 12:41 PM
I wore a watch all of my life up until about 3-4 years ago, a cellphone makes it a redundant accessory.
I never bought expensive ones since I beat the hell out of them, working on the car, in the yard, I would tear them up every year or two.
I liked the ones with the stopwatch built in, my tastes are simple, pragmatic and cheap.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
02-04-2015, 12:54 PM (This post was last modified: 02-04-2015 01:00 PM by goodwithoutgod.)
clocks have always fascinated me, I have only six in my home, but I love them (didn't want to be THAT guy, the guy with a house full of tick tocks tick tocks), watches I tend to destroy because I am overly assertive in my actions Unsure but on time itself...isn't it a fascinating thing...how some get so much time, and some get so little...when someone dies and people like to say, well it was just his time...that statement is meant to be positive and supportive, but kind of annoys me, because it suggests destiny...fate...and those things suggest a designer, a manager, a overseer...of which I of course do not believe in. For example, I no longer like to fly, just not the way I want to die, people tell me all the time, well if its your time, its your time, and I reply with "yeah, but it wont be in a plane...and I don't believe in fate, or destiny."

I do believe in self fulfilled destiny, as in the things you do, will have a good chance of a specific result....workout a lot, and you will look good for your age, do a lot of drugs, and you will not...take dangerous extreme level chances for an andrenalin rush like...skydiving, freeclimbing, etc?....inevitably you are going to take that last dive/climb etc....you keep playing Russian roulette with your life, and you will find the bullet...that doesnt mean don't live your life, we cant hide in a cocoon, slowly wasting away, that wouldn't be much of a life...at least to me.....but my philosophy is to take educated, well thought out steps to mitigate risks, and to avoid unnecessary ones......so I may have more time to spend with my loved ones... our time is precious, how do you wish to spend yours....?

I try to make each day worth living, kiss my wife everyday like it may be my last, and our first, ensure I embrace my inner child everyday, make my wife laugh everyday, grab her and dance around in the kitchen, because we can...life is short, live it...live everyday like its your last...because it may be.....

time is precious, make it count

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 3 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
02-04-2015, 02:15 PM
(01-04-2015 04:42 PM)Alex K Wrote:  Time has so many aspects to it that one can talk about it for hours and not even scratch the surface. To me currently it is a parameter in field equations.

While I'm not all that interested in watches, I can appreciate the mechanics of precise time pieces. Have you been to the Greenwich observatory? The keep the Harrison clocks there, which I found endlessly fascinating. They were the first clocks to work precisely enough on ships to measure longitude

[Image: d6783-3-h1-side.jpg]

I was there once, back in the early 1980s. I took a quick glance at the Cutty Sark, and then headed for the museum, where I spent most of my visit. I'm a science geek, and the history of British science fascinates me (Isaac Newton is one of my heroes). I could spend hours looking at precision instruments like the one in your photo (and I'm pretty sure I saw that same clock when I was there).
02-04-2015, 02:19 PM
(02-04-2015 12:41 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  I wore a watch all of my life up until about 3-4 years ago, a cellphone makes it a redundant accessory.
I never bought expensive ones since I beat the hell out of them, working on the car, in the yard, I would tear them up every year or two.
I liked the ones with the stopwatch built in, my tastes are simple, pragmatic and cheap.

I still wear a watch, because I'm old (just turned 60 a few weeks ago), and you can't teach an old dog new tricks. I have a cell phone, too, but when I want to know the time, I look at my watch.

I direct and/or play in a lot of chess tournaments, and there is usually a "no cell phone" rule -- if your phone rings during your game, you immediately lose. So people turn their phones off when games are in progress. Consequently, I get a lot of "what time is it" requests from people who only have a (turned off) cell phone, and notice that I'm wearing a watch.
[+] 2 users Like Grasshopper's post
02-04-2015, 02:46 PM
About the only time I wear a watch anymore is when hunting in the open. It's easier to look than a cellphone, with minimum movement.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
02-04-2015, 06:40 PM
(01-04-2015 08:37 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  I liked the quote.

I don’t like jewelry on men but I have two pieces I will wear, my wedding band and my Rolex Explorer watch (stainless steel, black face). Maybe it had something to do with seeing all the men in my family wearing one, something of a rite of passage.

I waited way longer than the rest of my brothers to finally succumb to buying one. My wife knew I had been thinking about it for a decade and then on a trip to Dubai we were walking in the airport where the display of decadence was overwhelming, everything was on exhibition from Rolls Royce and La
mborghinis, diamonds shops and a luxury watch dealer. I stopped to look and she said, “buy it”, get it out of your system. So I did. The watch was near the bottom of the barrel compared to time pieces priced well over $100,000, crazy stuff.

Nowdays I don’t wear it often but when I first got it I decided to test out its waterproof boast and so I would take it down diving to more than 100 feet, didn’t faze it.

Time fascinates me as well.

Mine's got the white dial.

[Image: GMT II 1.jpg]

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post