Time. And why I like watches.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-04-2015, 06:48 PM
RE: Time. And why I like watches.
(02-04-2015 12:54 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  clocks have always fascinated me, I have only six in my home, but I love them (didn't want to be THAT guy, the guy with a house full of tick tocks tick tocks), watches I tend to destroy because I am overly assertive in my actions Unsure but on time itself...isn't it a fascinating thing...how some get so much time, and some get so little...when someone dies and people like to say, well it was just his time...that statement is meant to be positive and supportive, but kind of annoys me, because it suggests destiny...fate...and those things suggest a designer, a manager, a overseer...of which I of course do not believe in. For example, I no longer like to fly, just not the way I want to die, people tell me all the time, well if its your time, its your time, and I reply with "yeah, but it wont be in a plane...and I don't believe in fate, or destiny."

I do believe in self fulfilled destiny, as in the things you do, will have a good chance of a specific result....workout a lot, and you will look good for your age, do a lot of drugs, and you will not...take dangerous extreme level chances for an andrenalin rush like...skydiving, freeclimbing, etc?....inevitably you are going to take that last dive/climb etc....you keep playing Russian roulette with your life, and you will find the bullet...that doesnt mean don't live your life, we cant hide in a cocoon, slowly wasting away, that wouldn't be much of a life...at least to me.....but my philosophy is to take educated, well thought out steps to mitigate risks, and to avoid unnecessary ones......so I may have more time to spend with my loved ones... our time is precious, how do you wish to spend yours....?

I try to make each day worth living, kiss my wife everyday like it may be my last, and our first, ensure I embrace my inner child everyday, make my wife laugh everyday, grab her and dance around in the kitchen, because we can...life is short, live it...live everyday like its your last...because it may be.....

time is precious, make it count

I like clocks.

And chronographs.

[Image: Chronos.jpg]

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
02-04-2015, 06:51 PM
I bought a smiley face watch for $10 a month ago~~~~~~~~~~~
Still working but the plastic band won't last much longer.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Mr Woof's post
02-04-2015, 07:15 PM
The Big Bang Theory is on TV, and they're talking about Back To The Future...
The opening scene with all those clocks, and timepieces, wormed itself into my brain! Tongue

[Image: Screen-shot-2011-08-02-at-9.03.23-PM.png]

[+] 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post
02-04-2015, 07:49 PM
(02-04-2015 06:48 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(02-04-2015 12:54 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  clocks have always fascinated me, I have only six in my home, but I love them (didn't want to be THAT guy, the guy with a house full of tick tocks tick tocks), watches I tend to destroy because I am overly assertive in my actions Unsure but on time itself...isn't it a fascinating thing...how some get so much time, and some get so little...when someone dies and people like to say, well it was just his time...that statement is meant to be positive and supportive, but kind of annoys me, because it suggests destiny...fate...and those things suggest a designer, a manager, a overseer...of which I of course do not believe in. For example, I no longer like to fly, just not the way I want to die, people tell me all the time, well if its your time, its your time, and I reply with "yeah, but it wont be in a plane...and I don't believe in fate, or destiny."

I do believe in self fulfilled destiny, as in the things you do, will have a good chance of a specific result....workout a lot, and you will look good for your age, do a lot of drugs, and you will not...take dangerous extreme level chances for an andrenalin rush like...skydiving, freeclimbing, etc?....inevitably you are going to take that last dive/climb etc....you keep playing Russian roulette with your life, and you will find the bullet...that doesnt mean don't live your life, we cant hide in a cocoon, slowly wasting away, that wouldn't be much of a life...at least to me.....but my philosophy is to take educated, well thought out steps to mitigate risks, and to avoid unnecessary ones......so I may have more time to spend with my loved ones... our time is precious, how do you wish to spend yours....?

I try to make each day worth living, kiss my wife everyday like it may be my last, and our first, ensure I embrace my inner child everyday, make my wife laugh everyday, grab her and dance around in the kitchen, because we can...life is short, live it...live everyday like its your last...because it may be.....

time is precious, make it count

I like clocks.

And chronographs.

Very nice collection! Something of an Omega fan I see. Only one I dont recognize is tbe very to right?

The essence of life is statistical improbability on a colossal scale.
02-04-2015, 07:59 PM
(02-04-2015 07:49 PM)Spooky Wrote:  
(02-04-2015 06:48 PM)Chas Wrote:  I like clocks.

And chronographs.

Very nice collection! Something of an Omega fan I see. Only one I dont recognize is tbe very to right?

Both watches on the far right are Universal Genève.

The reason for the grouping in this shot is that they all use movements based on the Lemania 1873 movement - as does the Moon Watch, the Speedmaster Professional.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
03-04-2015, 06:44 AM
A man with a watch knows the time. A man with two watches is never sure.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post
03-04-2015, 07:00 AM
(03-04-2015 06:44 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  A man with a watch knows the time. A man with two watches is never sure.

Heh, fair enough.

Reminds me of the statement:

"Fear the man with just one, gun. He probably knows how to use it. "

Smile

The essence of life is statistical improbability on a colossal scale.
[+] 1 user Likes Spooky's post
03-04-2015, 03:05 PM
Getting back to your OP the eternity question is something I think about a lot, too much probably.
Some theists try and get around all their problems by placing god outside of time and space in some nebulous area of his own making.
So we sort of have this out of space/time entity telling us what to do in our finite world, without any idea as to the genesis of such, the right of such, and any sane purpose planned for the manufactured product. Now I ask you?Angel

The BB theory goes back some 15 billion years and acknowledges the mystery pre that time. No such reservations with 'the ineffable God'
[+] 1 user Likes Mr Woof's post
04-04-2015, 04:26 AM (This post was last modified: 04-04-2015 04:30 AM by rezider.)
I remember being at school and there was this one time in philosophy class when the teacher asked us: 'Can you define human with only one word without falling into tautology?' I gave it a little thought and then I answered: '...time.'

Philosophers throughout the ages have thought of time differently. Aristotle thought that it was only a measurement, Heraclitus says: 'Panta rei.' (this is not the full quote), Thales thought that time was wise, st. Augustine says: 'What is time? When nobody asks me, I know. When someone asks me, I cannot answer.' Then there are Parmenides and Zeno who believed that time does not exist. It is something abstract. But despite what anyone says, we all agree on one thing... whatever time might be (existent or non-existent) we know that we cannot turn it back. Ilya Prigogine claims that where there's irreversibility, there we can talk about time.

We can talk for days and still not scratch the surface of the concept of time. It is one of those things that you cannot define like being and nothingness. If you read Einstein's Relativity, you will see that time is not the same in different parts of the universe. It might run slower it might run faster... but it never turns back.

Have you seen Interstellar? There was this moment when Cooper got to shake hands with Brand through space and time. He was 'back in time' and at the same time he wasn't (this was right before he entered the tesseract, while he was still going towards the singularity of the black hole). The universe is mind boggling.

If we take into account that there might be many dimensions, then time, as the 4th dimension, might be an actual physical direction in the 5th dimension (like in Interstellar inside the tesseract).

Imagine that you have a piece of paper and little 2D people are living on it. Now imagine folding it like a donut (you first fold it as a cylinder then you connect the two ends). The 2D people will have absolutely no idea that they are moving inside three dimensional space. For them the universe would seem infinite and in a sense it is but just for them. We might as well be living in a 4D or 5D donut.

With all that said, it is safe to assume that time is a direction that we are not aware of.

"I don't know where I'm going, but I'm on my way." - Carl Sagan
[+] 2 users Like rezider's post
04-04-2015, 06:12 AM
(03-04-2015 07:00 AM)Spooky Wrote:  
(03-04-2015 06:44 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  A man with a watch knows the time. A man with two watches is never sure.
Heh, fair enough.
Reminds me of the statement:
"Fear the man with just one, gun. He probably knows how to use it. "

It's also a bit of a Network Time Protocol (NTP) joke where it is preferable to have at least four clocks to synchronise from in order to maximise accuracy.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.