Time. And why I like watches.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-04-2015, 10:13 AM
RE: Time. And why I like watches.
(04-04-2015 04:26 AM)rezider Wrote:  I remember being at school and there was this one time in philosophy class when the teacher asked us: 'Can you define human with only one word without falling into tautology?' I gave it a little thought and then I answered: '...time.'

Philosophers throughout the ages have thought of time differently. Aristotle thought that it was only a measurement, Heraclitus says: 'Panta rei.' (this is not the full quote), Thales thought that time was wise, st. Augustine says: 'What is time? When nobody asks me, I know. When someone asks me, I cannot answer.' Then there are Parmenides and Zeno who believed that time does not exist. It is something abstract. But despite what anyone says, we all agree on one thing... whatever time might be (existent or non-existent) we know that we cannot turn it back. Ilya Prigogine claims that where there's irreversibility, there we can talk about time.

We can talk for days and still not scratch the surface of the concept of time. It is one of those things that you cannot define like being and nothingness. If you read Einstein's Relativity, you will see that time is not the same in different parts of the universe. It might run slower it might run faster... but it never turns back.

Have you seen Interstellar? There was this moment when Cooper got to shake hands with Brand through space and time. He was 'back in time' and at the same time he wasn't (this was right before he entered the tesseract, while he was still going towards the singularity of the black hole). The universe is mind boggling.

If we take into account that there might be many dimensions, then time, as the 4th dimension, might be an actual physical direction in the 5th dimension (like in Interstellar inside the tesseract).

Imagine that you have a piece of paper and little 2D people are living on it. Now imagine folding it like a donut (you first fold it as a cylinder then you connect the two ends). The 2D people will have absolutely no idea that they are moving inside three dimensional space. For them the universe would seem infinite and in a sense it is but just for them. We might as well be living in a 4D or 5D donut.

With all that said, it is safe to assume that time is a direction that we are not aware of.

Excellent statement! How you had zero rep is beyond me.

The essence of life is statistical improbability on a colossal scale.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Spooky's post
04-04-2015, 10:08 PM
Speaking about time, here in Melbourne we have just started 'normal time', having finished summer time round 3AM this morning. It is currently now 2.07 PM.1 hour earlier than yesterday.
I prefers it the old way.....just one time all the time...
05-04-2015, 01:27 AM
Oh man does that mean Auckland is going to change again soon? They need to update their java version to account for a 2005 change in the date when this occurs.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
05-04-2015, 04:27 PM (This post was last modified: 05-04-2015 04:30 PM by Mr Woof.)
Time too is of interest relevant to the notion of reincarnation.
I have pondered reincarnation often as I saw many lives preferable to the Christian claim of one life and then the judgement. Actually reincarnation was part of early Christianity for a few hundred years till it was seen to negate the 'saved by grace' dogma, after which it became taboo.
Irrespective of how many lives, trials, and tribulations our behaviour can still be seen as being directed towards some nebulous moral source of no proven substance.
Billions of sentient beings seen to live many lives to aspire to just what actual better way? It really doesn't make sense. The goal of Nirvana,usually expressed as 'freedom from pleasure or pain' is hardly too enticing either.
An American psychiatrist http://www.brianweis.com/ claims to have regressed as well as progressed over 4000 patients in attempts to alleviate their psychological suffering. Drowning, in the middle ages, is seen as reason for current fear of water etc. Advancing patients to future lives is held to enable them to make adjustments prior to getting there. Many years before Dr Weis the philosophers Ouspensky, and Gurdjieff were pushing similar future lives jargon.
While I like to think outside the box, I see this New Age hype as irrational and potentially dangerous.
[+] 1 user Likes Mr Woof's post
06-04-2015, 08:44 AM
[Image: k9BMMqJ.jpg]
This is my watch, I inherited it from my grandfather. Sorry about the resolution, my webcam sucks.

Paleoliberal • English Nationalist • Zionist • Rightist • Anti-Islam • Neoconservative • Republican • Linguistic Revivalist and Purist

Happily Divorced from the Left!
[+] 2 users Like Res Publica's post
06-04-2015, 09:16 AM
When I was growing up the only place we had any kind of clock was in a corner of the front room and if you wanted to know the time you had to get your lazy ass off the couch or walk over from the kitchen to see the time.

We didn't have a clock on the tv, the phone, the oven (just the timer), the typewriter, the radio, the record player and we didn't even have a clock in our car. There was no time displayed at the local bank and store receipts didn't have the time printed on them either, just the date.

Time is everywhere now. We're surrounded by time, time, time and more time. It's insane.

If you really want some sense of peace and relaxation you don't need to go on an expensive vacation, just try going a few days without knowing what time it is all the time . (slight pun there) Moments transition smoothly throughout the day and time is quiet. It's great.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.