Time Flies

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-03-2017, 08:28 AM
Time Flies
Man, time flies when you are having fun...or aren't paying attention I guess.

I joined the forum on March 28th, 2011, My very first post was in the thread titled “What made you not believe?” My response was “Loved the stories. It was pretty similar for me as well. Ever since I was little (5-9ish) the only time my family really went to church was after something bad happened, usually a death in the family. I found it odd that it took tragedy to get us into church but I was to (sic) scared to ask questions because that meant the "devil" was tempting me. I always kind of new I did not believe but that fear kept me claiming christianity (sic) as my religion throughout high school and into college.
It took several years for me to kick my religion to the curb but looking back at it one of the most influential events was a youth sermon I had gone to my senior year of high school. I was dating a girl at the time who went to church services every Wednesday night. This was the perfect opportunity for me to skip work early and hang out with her, so I began to go. It was mostly a social gathering with a short sermon from the youth pastor thrown in. I didn't care because I was infatuated and not at work! All of the sermons were forgettable...except one. The youth pastor started out by telling us how he was mad at his grandmother. The reason? She had committed suicide and that meant she did not get to go to heaven and therefore he and his family would never see her again. She had been clinically depressed and on antidepressants. She had begun to feel better, so she stopped taking them and spiraled into a deep depression and jumped off a bridge. This man was standing before me angry with his grandmother who was obviously asking for help. His reasons for being angry with her were selfish and made no sense. I was appalled and it became similar stories like this that made me realize that a literal interpretation of the bible was dangerous and nonsense. It was not long after that when I quit calling myself a "christian" (sic) and then about 3 or 4 years ago I realized I did not believe any of it anymore and became an atheist.”
Since then, I have made a total of 8,929 posts (this will be 8,930).

My very first thread I made was “God’s wife” about the discovery of texts discussing Asherah as the wife of Yahweh. Since that initial thread, I have made 210 threads with varying degrees of popularity. The vast majority of my threads have been 5 pages or less (179), and of those 79 of them were only 1 page. My longest running thread is 94 pages and it is “The elegant nature of science.”

I don’t know how long I have spent online, that tracker hasn’t worked for me for years.

I’ve given 5,919 likes and received 6,253.

My current reputation is 79. This includes 13 total negative reputation points from 8 users. If you aren’t making at least a few enemies, then you must not be standing up for anything (paraphrasing Churchill here).

Of the active members (those posting and present at least once a month), I have been here longer than most. (Ladyjane joined almost a month after me on 4/26/11, Dom joined 2/20/12, Grasshopper 10/24/13, Full Circle 12/30/12, Girlyman 5/25/12, Momsurroundedbyboys 11/13/12, Deepthough 3/29/11, DLJ 2/8/12, Revenant77x 3/21/2013, Pablo 4/21/14, Chas 11/13/11, Peebothuhul 9/16/13, Evenheathen 1/12/13, Gawdzilla 9/26/11, TheGulgeon 4/1/13, Unfogged 9/7/14, TheInquisition 6/22/14, Chas 11/13/2011)

I only see one so far who has been here longer and is still active (Unbeliever 12/15/2009).

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
28-03-2017, 08:37 AM
RE: Time Flies
That's quite a history! This community is absolutely enriched by your presence and contribution. It looks like you've been around since 6 months before I joined (10-22-2011), and you probably didn't take a 3 or 4 year break like I did! Laugh out load But I do remember you from before I stepped away for a while. And you were always a good contributor to these boards. Hug
[+] 1 user Likes Emma's post
28-03-2017, 08:43 AM
(28-03-2017 08:37 AM)Emma Wrote:  That's quite a history! This community is absolutely enriched by your presence and contribution. It looks like you've been around since 6 months before I joined (10-22-2011), and you probably didn't take a 3 or 4 year break like I did! Laugh out load But I do remember you from before I stepped away for a while. And you were always a good contributor to these boards. Hug

I took a long hiatus a while back but it lasted maybe a year or so? I can't remember exactly. I am nowhere near as active as I once was, but I was still surprised to see how long I had been on the forum when I looked at my profile a few weeks ago.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 2 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
28-03-2017, 09:07 AM
Congrats on your Forumversary!!

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
28-03-2017, 09:11 AM
Congrats! and happy to still have you here.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post