Time For A Make-Over

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-06-2014, 09:01 AM
Time For A Make-Over
Hi there TTAers.

This is a 'heads-up' announcement to let you know of some work that's been going on behind the scenes.

It's not big, dramatic stuff ... it's kinda boring really. Sorry!

There has been a mini-project going on to revamp the 'rules' section of the forum.

It will come into effect within the next few days.

Project Purpose:
To address a few issues with the Forum Information section with the view to improving the effectiveness and efficiency of forum governance.

Intended Benefits:
1. Friendlier content.
2. More welcoming for its main audience (newbies).
3. Establishes what we are all about (our principles) through tone and structure rather than diktat.
4. Easier to read.
5. Easier to use (navigate).
i.e. less mess... centralising and tidying up the various pieces of information covering forum policies, access to the I&R section, codes of conduct, FAQs and other scraps e.g less sticky threads in the Intros section.
6. Easier to maintain.
7. Clear and enforceable policies.

Project Roles:
Sponsor: Aurora
Project Team: Hughsie, DLJ
Review Team: All the Veterans and the Forum Management Team
Grammar Nazi Quality Control: Vosur

Many of the contributions were via Private Message so I'm not going to be specific as to who did what but they know who they are and how grateful we are... Thank you!
But a special mention has to go to Vosur for being such a picky Censored Censored ... in a good way. Big Grin

So what's going to change?

Here is the current main page ... the 'as is' that will be replaced for reference.

The new Information pages will have a structure that utilises an internationally recognised framework for governing IT related stuff e.g. this forum.

I know we have a few IT Managers in our membership so here is the Management gobbledygook bit for those who might be interested:
We've been using guidance from ISO15504 and COBIT5.
COBIT5 has a 7-enabler structure:
[Image: cobit_enablers1.jpg]

We have broken down the old rules by their content; some of which related to members' behaviour and some related to data or information (posts' content) policies. For example we have attempted to separate 'principles' (the forum's values) from its policies (rules).

Each policy (rule) will have a consistent structure:
1. Their Scope
2. Consequences of failing to comply with the policy
3. The means of handling exceptions
4. How they will be monitored.

The section called 'The Members' has had a revamp to put the important people first i.e. you.

The hardest choice by far, given the country of origin of the authors, was the decision to use Murikan spellings. Weeping

We sincerely hope you will agree that the changes are an improvement and of course, we welcome everybody's feedback.

Thank you for reading.
DLJ

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like DLJ's post
22-06-2014, 09:07 AM
RE: Time For A Make-Over
Hopefully better representation of the Hobbit people will appear as well. Drinking Beverage
22-06-2014, 09:17 AM
We are going to need a lot of geckos.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
[+] 2 users Like Metazoa Zeke's post
22-06-2014, 09:18 AM
(22-06-2014 09:07 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Hopefully better representation of the Hobbit people will appear as well. Drinking Beverage

Damnit!

Facepalm

Weeping

Ah well, they say that the best Project Managers are the ones who can learn from their mistakes ... Blush

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
22-06-2014, 09:19 AM
(22-06-2014 09:18 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(22-06-2014 09:07 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Hopefully better representation of the Hobbit people will appear as well. Drinking Beverage

Damnit!

Facepalm

Weeping

Ah well, they say that the best Project Managers are the ones who can learn from their mistakes ... Blush

Its okay I forgive you.
The world is not ready for our glory yet.
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
22-06-2014, 09:20 AM
(22-06-2014 09:17 AM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  We are going to need a lot of geckos.

That is a pleasing thought Smile

22-06-2014, 09:21 AM
I have to say, the geckos are fun!

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 2 users Like evenheathen's post
22-06-2014, 09:22 AM
(22-06-2014 09:19 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  ...
Its okay I forgive you.
The world is not ready for our glory yet.

Thanks.

In our defense, we don't notice you people when you wear your precious jewellery!

Wink

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
22-06-2014, 09:25 AM
(22-06-2014 09:01 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Hi there TTAers.

This is a 'heads-up' announcement to let you know of some work that's been going on behind the scenes.

It's not big, dramatic stuff ... it's kinda boring really. Sorry!

There has been a mini-project going on to revamp the 'rules' section of the forum.

It will come into effect within the next few days.

Project Purpose:
To address a few issues with the Forum Information section with the view to improving the effectiveness and efficiency of forum governance.

Intended Benefits:
1. Friendlier content.
2. More welcoming for its main audience (newbies).
3. Establishes what we are all about (our principles) through tone and structure rather than diktat.
4. Easier to read.
5. Easier to use (navigate).
i.e. less mess... centralising and tidying up the various pieces of information covering forum policies, access to the I&R section, codes of conduct, FAQs and other scraps e.g less sticky threads in the Intros section.
6. Easier to maintain.
7. Clear and enforceable policies.

Project Roles:
Sponsor: Aurora
Project Team: Hughsie, DLJ
Review Team: All the Veterans and the Forum Management Team
Grammar Nazi Quality Control: Vosur

Many of the contributions were via Private Message so I'm not going to be specific as to who did what but they know who they are and how grateful we are... Thank you!
But a special mention has to go to Vosur for being such a picky Censored Censored ... in a good way. Big Grin

So what's going to change?

Here is the current main page ... the 'as is' that will be replaced for reference.

The new Information pages will have a structure that utilises an internationally recognised framework for governing IT related stuff e.g. this forum.

I know we have a few IT Managers in our membership so here is the Management gobbledygook bit for those who might be interested:
We've been using guidance from ISO15504 and COBIT5.
COBIT5 has a 7-enabler structure:
[Image: cobit_enablers1.jpg]

We have broken down the old rules by their content; some of which related to members' behaviour and some related to data or information (posts' content) policies. For example we have attempted to separate 'principles' (the forum's values) from its policies (rules).

Each policy (rule) will have a consistent structure:
1. Their Scope
2. Consequences of failing to comply with the policy
3. The means of handling exceptions
4. How they will be monitored.

The section called 'The Members' has had a revamp to put the important people first i.e. you.

The hardest choice by far, given the country of origin of the authors, was the decision to use Murikan spellings. Weeping

We sincerely hope you will agree that the changes are an improvement and of course, we welcome everybody's feedback.

Thank you for reading.
DLJ

Consider Fly, meet sledgehammer. Dodgy

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-06-2014, 09:31 AM
(22-06-2014 09:25 AM)Chas Wrote:  ...
Consider Fly, meet sledgehammer. Dodgy

Well... it was a big, ugly and persistent fly.

Tongue

Also... couldn't have got this far without your contribution... so there's that Thumbsup