Time, Meditation and Religious Belief

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-04-2012, 09:10 PM
Time, Meditation and Religious Belief
I had the craziest idea today. In deep meditation you take yourself out of time by living in the moment of being. Time is an illusion and we are infinite beings. What hit me was that if we are infinite beings and we sense this, but can’t get there without developing the skills of quieting the mind to nothingness, is this the root cause of religious belief? The feeling that we are infinite beings, but the trappings of being in the physical world causes people to feel that infinite existence is coming later, after physical death. When I see the absolute belief shared by so many religious people something has to be causing this. Spirituality is physical, but the feelings may drive some to think that the spirit is metaphysical.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-04-2012, 10:34 PM
RE: Time, Meditation and Religious Belief
(26-04-2012 09:10 PM)Thomas Wrote:  I had the craziest idea today. In deep meditation you take yourself out of time by living in the moment of being. Time is an illusion and we are infinite beings. What hit me was that if we are infinite beings and we sense this, but can’t get there without developing the skills of quieting the mind to nothingness, is this the root cause of religious belief? The feeling that we are infinite beings, but the trappings of being in the physical world causes people to feel that infinite existence is coming later, after physical death. When I see the absolute belief shared by so many religious people something has to be causing this. Spirituality is physical, but the feelings may drive some to think that the spirit is metaphysical.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/chok...your-brain

The angry gods require sacrifice. Now get outside and slay them a goat. Cadet in Terse But Deadly
[+] 1 user Likes San Onofre Surfer's post
28-04-2012, 12:41 PM
Religion is like going through a middleman towards judgement...... meditation is realising there is nothing to judge.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
[+] 2 users Like bemore's post
28-04-2012, 02:14 PM
(26-04-2012 09:10 PM)Thomas Wrote:  When I see the absolute belief shared by so many religious people something has to be causing this.

Both meditation and prayer release endorphins. These make you calmer and happier, they are opioids. You can get the same by jogging beyond your normal capacity, eating spicy foods, sex and other activities.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
28-04-2012, 06:38 PM
(26-04-2012 10:34 PM)San Onofre Surfer Wrote:  
(26-04-2012 09:10 PM)Thomas Wrote:  I had the craziest idea today. In deep meditation you take yourself out of time by living in the moment of being. Time is an illusion and we are infinite beings. What hit me was that if we are infinite beings and we sense this, but can’t get there without developing the skills of quieting the mind to nothingness, is this the root cause of religious belief? The feeling that we are infinite beings, but the trappings of being in the physical world causes people to feel that infinite existence is coming later, after physical death. When I see the absolute belief shared by so many religious people something has to be causing this. Spirituality is physical, but the feelings may drive some to think that the spirit is metaphysical.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/chok...your-brain

It was pointed out to me a couple weeks ago that I was incorrect in thinking that there were studies about beta-endorpin levels being increased in certain activites, (prayer, and meditation), as there are for exercise. Now I'm wondering what you peeps think about increased Dopamine production in meditaion, and what effects it might have .

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/art...1001001069

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating yogi, CAAT-LY.
Yeah, for verily I say unto thee, and this we know : Jebus no likey that which doth tickle thee unto thy nether regions.

29-04-2012, 10:12 PM
I guess what I'm trying to understand is time.
I have experienced through meditation a feeling of infinity.
It is as if time stops existing when I stop thinking of it as a reality.
Has anyone had this experience?
If so, do we all experience it at some degree and get the impression that life is eternal; therefore, some misperceive that we must be spirits first, then in physical bodies. "We are in this world, but not of this world".
My perception is that we are physical beings capable of spiritual events through meditation where time can be dismissed as a reality.

There is a saying:
If you live in the past, you will be depressed
If you live in the future, you will be anxious
If you live in the present, you will be happy

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
[+] 1 user Likes Thomas's post
30-04-2012, 02:09 AM
I have had similar experinces whilst meditating..... I cant dismiss that
it isnt my brain doing something but what you can experience can only
be called "real" and I could write a thousand books and not come close
to describing it lol.

Im not sure what to think of it all to be
honest...... maybe once you become so relaxed and quiten your thoughts
to a certain extent of "existence/perception" you simply experience the
"void".

The "infinity" although vast may be your own.... we all
may be able to each experience our own internal "inifity" through
meditation???

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
30-04-2012, 05:35 AM
I'm not familiar with meditation but... Time is not an illusion. It is, however, relative to the observer. Maybe meditation changes your perspective of time?

I find this interesting. I should try it. But I am too hyper and impatient to meditate. I shall research this further.

"But the point is, find somebody to love. Everything else is overrated." - HouseofCantor
[+] 1 user Likes Smooshmonster's post
30-04-2012, 06:26 AM
(30-04-2012 05:35 AM)Smooshmonster Wrote:  I'm not familiar with meditation but... Time is not an illusion. It is, however, relative to the observer. Maybe meditation changes your perspective of time?

I find this interesting. I should try it. But I am too hyper and impatient to meditate. I shall research this further.
It does take patience but is worth it Smile I think it can change your perspective on a lot of things.... Not just time Smile

So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
30-04-2012, 07:38 AM
You don't necessarily have to follow any meditation techniques either.

I can just sit out in nature by myself and the same type of feeling or state of consciousness sets in. Meditiation techniques IMO are just a tool to make this happen in less conducive environments. Or for people whose brains are not wired in a way that's favorable for natural meditation.

It can also occur with chanting, which explains a lot about religions.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post