Time effing wasted

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-01-2012, 08:28 PM
Time effing wasted
Okay, so this has been bugging me to no end recently and I wonder if any of you experience it. I need a nice rant.

I find I spend way too much time reading about religion. I spend too much time talking about Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Hinduism, Garbageism, etc. It genuinely interested me at one point but now I'm just tired of all the B.S. I don't want to watch debates with airheads like Craig or listen to apologists trying to justify the Bible or the Quran. I don't spend this much time reading about Thor or Osiris and I shouldn't spend this time reading about the gods that people believe in today.

Religion, however, is so prominent in the world that it's impossible to just ignore. They just have their grubby fingers in so much. From family planning to marriage, sexuality, education, death and much more. Religion is oppressive, violent, immoral, and judging. The Canadian government just started a freaking office of religious freedom. Seriously? They take away nursing positions, slash funding for science research, cut budgets for education but we should spend millions on making sure someone has the right to wear silly hats and only wipe with their left hand?

Every day there is at least one news headline about some tragedy that religion has caused and then one other "positive" story about some idiot being crowned super idiot by some old fart in the Vatican. This BS so permeates our everyday lives that you can't go a day without being force-fed someone's recounting of their personal skype call with yahweh.

As freethinkers we have to oppose the brainwashing of our children, the oppression of our rights and promote peace and love for our own sake so, no, I can't just ignore the religious but dammit I'm sick of it!

You ever hear this: I don't hate religion, I just want a secular world where non-believers are accepted as equals.

You know what?

Fuck religion.

In science, "fact" can only mean "confirmed to such a degree that it would be perverse to withhold provisional assent." I suppose that apples might start to rise tomorrow, but the possibility does not merit equal time in physics classrooms.

--Stephen Jay Gould
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like scientician's post
09-01-2012, 08:31 PM
RE: Time effing wasted
Amen.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
09-01-2012, 09:04 PM
(09-01-2012 08:31 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Amen.

And how. Rant ended.

In science, "fact" can only mean "confirmed to such a degree that it would be perverse to withhold provisional assent." I suppose that apples might start to rise tomorrow, but the possibility does not merit equal time in physics classrooms.

--Stephen Jay Gould
09-01-2012, 09:07 PM
(09-01-2012 09:04 PM)scientician Wrote:  

And how. Rant ended.

Really? Just like that? Methinks you gave up too easily.

Tongue

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
09-01-2012, 09:24 PM
(09-01-2012 09:07 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(09-01-2012 09:04 PM)scientician Wrote:  

And how. Rant ended.

Really? Just like that? Methinks you gave up too easily.

Tongue

You have a point... Perhaps I'll continue when my rage has more brain in it.

--Stephen Jay Gould
[+] 1 user Likes scientician's post
09-01-2012, 09:57 PM
The part that irritates me more is the nagging feeling that a lot of these thiests don't truly believe the crap they are peddling. The pope supposedly trusts in god, but not quite enough to walk around in public outside his bullet proof "popemobile".

If he is afraid to die, then the rest of us are truly screwed.

"I am a knowledgeable man, I have knowledge. If I knew how I knew what I know, I would know half as much, because it would be clogged up with where I knew it from...that is why I cannot always cite my sources. - David Mitchell
"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
09-01-2012, 10:08 PM
(09-01-2012 08:28 PM)scientician Wrote:  Time effing wasted
Okay, so this has been bugging me to no end recently and I wonder if any of you experience it. I need a nice rant.

Time ain't never wasted, time's just spent.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
09-01-2012, 10:18 PM
I can only hope that in my lifetime I'll see a culture where religion is the exception rather than the norm.
[+] 1 user Likes Ben's post
09-01-2012, 10:24 PM
(09-01-2012 10:18 PM)Ben Wrote:  I can only hope that in my lifetime I'll see a culture where religion is the exception rather than the norm.

I'm pretty sure the odds are wtih you youngster. Wink

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
09-01-2012, 10:30 PM
(09-01-2012 08:28 PM)scientician Wrote:  Okay, so this has been bugging me to no end recently and I wonder if any of you experience it. I need a nice rant.

I find I spend way too much time reading about religion. I spend too much time talking about Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Hinduism, Garbageism, etc. It genuinely interested me at one point but now I'm just tired of all the B.S. I don't want to watch debates with airheads like Craig or listen to apologists trying to justify the Bible or the Quran. I don't spend this much time reading about Thor or Osiris and I shouldn't spend this time reading about the gods that people believe in today.

Religion, however, is so prominent in the world that it's impossible to just ignore. They just have their grubby fingers in so much. From family planning to marriage, sexuality, education, death and much more. Religion is oppressive, violent, immoral, and judging. The Canadian government just started a freaking office of religious freedom. Seriously? They take away nursing positions, slash funding for science research, cut budgets for education but we should spend millions on making sure someone has the right to wear silly hats and only wipe with their left hand?

Every day there is at least one news headline about some tragedy that religion has caused and then one other "positive" story about some idiot being crowned super idiot by some old fart in the Vatican. This BS so permeates our everyday lives that you can't go a day without being force-fed someone's recounting of their personal skype call with yahweh.

As freethinkers we have to oppose the brainwashing of our children, the oppression of our rights and promote peace and love for our own sake so, no, I can't just ignore the religious but dammit I'm sick of it!

You ever hear this: I don't hate religion, I just want a secular world where non-believers are accepted as equals.

You know what?

Fuck religion.

I ranted a similar rant a while ago. I was just tired and cranky. Time to gird up your loins and prepare for battle.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post