Time for a Hal Lindsey Apology Project?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-08-2011, 10:45 AM
RE: Time for a Hal Lindsey Apology Project?
Hey gang...

Having some problems getting S.T.s posts to show up. Working on getting it fixed right now. Sorry for the mix up, and sorry to S.T. too!

So many cats, so few good recipes.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-08-2011, 11:02 AM
(24-08-2011 08:57 AM)advancedatheist Wrote:  The widespread mocking and humiliation of Harold Camping earlier this year got to me formulate a partly-baked idea: I would like to see a write-in campaign demanding an apology from a much bigger source of this doomsday theology who has worked at it since 1970, namely, Hal Lindsey.
Harold Camping predicted that the rapture would take place on a specific date. The fact that that date has passed proves that he was wrong. I have read some of Hal Lindsey's books and I don't recall that ever set any dates for prophetic events so how can we know he was wrong?

The information in ancient libraries came from real minds of real people. The far more complex information in cells came from the far more intelligent mind of God.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
31-08-2011, 11:47 AM
(31-08-2011 11:02 AM)theophilus Wrote:  I have read some of Hal Lindsey's books and I don't recall that ever set any dates for prophetic events so how can we know he was wrong?

From the Wikipedia article on Hal Lindsey:

"A later book, bearing the title The 1980s: Countdown to Armageddon, implied that the battle of Armageddon would take place in the not too distant future, stating 'the decade of the 1980s could very well be the last decade of history as we know it'[7] and that the U.S. could be 'destroyed by a surprise Soviet nuclear attack.'[8] The book strongly suggests that the 1980s would see the biblical events of tribulation and end times come to pass. The book was quietly taken out of print in the early 1990s, possibly due to the failure of Lindsey's apocalyptic predictions to come true during the 1980s.

"Planet Earth - 2000 A.D., published in the early 1990s, states that Christians should not plan to still be on earth by the year 2000."

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
[+] 1 user Likes cufflink's post
31-08-2011, 08:46 PM
(31-08-2011 11:02 AM)theophilus Wrote:  
(24-08-2011 08:57 AM)advancedatheist Wrote:  The widespread mocking and humiliation of Harold Camping earlier this year got to me formulate a partly-baked idea: I would like to see a write-in campaign demanding an apology from a much bigger source of this doomsday theology who has worked at it since 1970, namely, Hal Lindsey.
Harold Camping predicted that the rapture would take place on a specific date. The fact that that date has passed proves that he was wrong. I have read some of Hal Lindsey's books and I don't recall that ever set any dates for prophetic events so how can we know he was wrong?

From Rational Wiki:

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Hal_Lindsey

Quote:Track record

In The Late, Great Planet Earth, Lindsey predicted that the Soviet Union would play the role of antagonist during the End Times. The Soviet Union collapsed in 1991, forcing him to change his End Times antagonist to radical Islam.

In 1980, Lindsey published The 1980s: Countdown to Armageddon, making the prediction that a pre-tribulational rapture would take place in 1981, seven years before Israel’s fortieth anniversary as a reestablished nation, because the founding of Israel set off a "prophetic clock" which committed Jesus to wrap things up within a "generation" (i.e. 40 years). When Jesus didn't return in 1981 or 1988, he said that a generation could be 70 years, so Jesus should return before 2018.

In Facing Millennial Midnight: The Y2K Crisis Confronting America and the World, Lindsey predicted widespread confusion and panic over the Y2K crisis, seven years before the 40th anniversary of the capture of Jerusalem by the Israelis, which was the event which really started the prophetic clock ticking all along. Of course, Y2K was a bust, and 2007 passed without Armageddon happening, so we're back to the 70 year generation idea. So maybe 2018, but 2037 for sure.
01-09-2011, 04:18 AM (This post was last modified: 01-09-2011 07:16 AM by Stark Raving.)
(31-08-2011 10:45 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Hey gang...

Having some problems getting S.T.s posts to show up. Working on getting it fixed right now. Sorry for the mix up, and sorry to S.T. too!

Just thought I would see if a post would go through this morning. I appreciate your help on this, Stark.
01-09-2011, 05:46 AM (This post was last modified: 01-09-2011 07:18 AM by Stark Raving.)
Hi S. T. , you are still not coming up on my screen....until I press "reply"...then I can read what you have written....and I'm excited... you have answered well ( I hope that doesn't sound patronising....but some pro Christian contributors to this forum refuse to address issues) so I look forward to responding, but won't do that till your comments are visible (in the interests of clarity), ok?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-09-2011, 07:21 AM
S.T.
You are quoting way too much in your posts. When you write a response, just quote the material you are responding to instead of the entire conversation. It places too many "quotes inside of quotes", and makes your posts unviewable.

01-09-2011, 05:33 PM (This post was last modified: 01-09-2011 05:38 PM by S.T. Ranger.)
(01-09-2011 05:46 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  Hi S. T. , you are still not coming up on my screen....until I press "reply"...then I can read what you have written....and I'm excited... you have answered well ( I hope that doesn't sound patronising....but some pro Christian contributors to this forum refuse to address issues) so I look forward to responding, but won't do that till your comments are visible (in the interests of clarity), ok?

Thats great. When I tried to repost, it was there, but when I posted...it was gone.

I will try a different approach I guess. I found a way around the slowness, which is to just do the reply in wordpad, and then pate it into the quote. Even this morning the post that is there now, I do not think showed up this morning.

Look forward to some good discussion, mark.

S.T.
(01-09-2011 07:21 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  S.T.
You are quoting way too much in your posts. When you write a response, just quote the material you are responding to instead of the entire conversation. It places too many "quotes inside of quotes", and makes your posts unviewable.

Sorry, Stark, it is just a habit of answering every statement, that it is not said that I was not able to answer something.

Is that why I am having a problem posting?

Mark figured out the posts can be read by hitting "reply," which is good news to me.

Okay, I will try another approach with the responses, and just cover them a paragrapg or two at a time, and delete the rest, then go back and do the rest. Fair enough?

S.T.
01-09-2011, 05:48 PM
Sorry for the gender misnomer. When I myself responded to your question it was the pre/post question not Hal Lindsay's doctrine. Often times on this forum a thread will morph when someone brings in something interesting.

As your responses have mentioned I would say there is nothing wrong with your method of reading since you have no problem reading books that are not about religion or are anecdotally about religion. As you placed the pygmata and the talmud in the same class you seem to be aware of those roots as well. Though I have never heard of catholics finding them particularly holy.

Another question about your reading. A very good book by Richard Dawkins is mentioned here quite often as a good source for understanding evolution. "The Greatest Show on Earth" is a book written by an outspoken atheist that is not about atheism or theism but about evolution. He makes occasional mentions of creationism due to it's contradictory stance with evolution but is quite proper in leaving his overall distaste for religion out of this book. Would you read it in order to understand more about evolution?

The thing about my understanding of the bible is that I have an acceptable grasp of the central themes presented in the stories due to my baptist family, and most every christian relies more on their remembered interpretation of the bible for reference than specific passages in many cases. I don't seek to be a biblical scholar so I believe it is enough for me to have an acceptable grasp of the overall story and read a chapter. If I think of something that correlates I'll search it since I do my bible passage research online anyway. For me christianity is more something that I've always been bombarded with than something I'm uniquely interested in.

In fact you and I share a common interest in the desire to understand and grasp other people's views. I'm sure we'll have plenty to talk about. Just remember that I'm using a keen memory and the desire to understand you to discuss topics which you are interested in. That is the way to look at it if I'm replying to you =p

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
01-09-2011, 08:39 PM
S.T. It's the quotes within quotes that make things screwy. You can have lots of quotes, but just avoid requoting, since it makes a quote of a quote of a quote, and so on. That's when the whole world comes crashing down! LOL

I can turn on your editing if you like so you can clean things up? I'd do it for ya, but I don't want to make your posts out of context.