Time is an emergent phenomenon

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-10-2013, 11:07 AM
Shocked Time is an emergent phenomenon
So, science brings more confusing ideas and philosophy breaking concepts to the discussion. Now it seems time only pass for observers inside the universe, not observers outside.
Keep calm and wait for the theist saying this is proof of god Tongue

https://medium.com/the-physics-arxiv-blog/d5d3dc850933

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like nach_in's post
28-10-2013, 11:08 AM (This post was last modified: 28-10-2013 11:17 AM by KidCharlemagne1962.)
RE: Time is an emergent phenomenon
(28-10-2013 11:07 AM)nach_in Wrote:  So, science brings more confusing ideas and philosophy breaking concepts to the discussion. Now it seems time only pass for observers inside the universe, not observers outside.
Keep calm and wait for the theist saying this is proof of god Tongue

https://medium.com/the-physics-arxiv-blog/d5d3dc850933

It obviously is proof of god silly.Tongue

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
28-10-2013, 12:22 PM
Or proof of eternal life (life without time) on the "other side". Big Grin

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
28-10-2013, 12:30 PM
There is no "life" without change.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
28-10-2013, 12:42 PM (This post was last modified: 28-10-2013 12:54 PM by cjlr.)
The article does of course mention that there is no "outside" for the universe Tongue.

Now, the concepts presented here aren't really new, though the demonstration is. Time only exists when given a reference frame (a clock) - and all of our clocks are, er, inside the universe. And time is only meaningful relative to change ("[time] is what keeps everything from happening at once", after all - which also necessarily requires that something happen).

This does fit with some thermodynamic arguments I've seen, as well. If the universe (an isolated system if ever there was one) is, from an "outside" perspective ( Rolleyes ) reversible, then its entropy is constant, and 'time' is not something which can be meaningfully applied to it (from the "outside").

... this is my signature!
28-10-2013, 12:53 PM
I always think of theoretical time as a standard outside the universe.
And every particle in the universe has its own clock that gravity/acceleration can retard.
Therefore a faster than light travel across is not backward travel.because nothing inside the universe no matter how varied it is with its neighbours can affect outer universe time.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
28-10-2013, 09:30 PM
(28-10-2013 12:42 PM)cjlr Wrote:  The article does of course mention that there is no "outside" for the universe Tongue.

Now, the concepts presented here aren't really new, though the demonstration is. Time only exists when given a reference frame (a clock) - and all of our clocks are, er, inside the universe. And time is only meaningful relative to change ("[time] is what keeps everything from happening at once", after all - which also necessarily requires that something happen).

This does fit with some thermodynamic arguments I've seen, as well. If the universe (an isolated system if ever there was one) is, from an "outside" perspective ( Rolleyes ) reversible, then its entropy is constant, and 'time' is not something which can be meaningfully applied to it (from the "outside").

weirdly that clarifies some things Huh

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
28-10-2013, 09:59 PM
(28-10-2013 09:30 PM)nach_in Wrote:  weirdly that clarifies some things Huh

Well, I should hope!

I do try to know a little about science, you know.

Tongue

... this is my signature!
28-10-2013, 10:18 PM
(28-10-2013 09:59 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(28-10-2013 09:30 PM)nach_in Wrote:  weirdly that clarifies some things Huh

Well, I should hope!

I do try to know a little about science, you know.

Tongue

Between all the conspiracies it's a wonder you "scientists" have time for anything. Wasn't today your day to oppress Luminon?

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
29-10-2013, 12:02 AM
Ain't nobody got time for this!
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post