Time slowing down?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-10-2011, 11:27 AM
Time slowing down?
In debating with a christian friend about men reaching ages as high as 950 yrs old in the bronze age, his justification was that time was faster then and science has proved it and it is slowing down as the earth gets older??? He was sure scientists have proven this. I have done a little research and can't find anything. I think he is crazy but wondered if anyone has heard this before? Thanks for your response!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-10-2011, 03:41 PM
RE: Time slowing down?
(25-10-2011 11:27 AM)Jhawk13 Wrote:  In debating with a christian friend about men reaching ages as high as 950 yrs old in the bronze age, his justification was that time was faster then and science has proved it and it is slowing down as the earth gets older??? He was sure scientists have proven this. I have done a little research and can't find anything. I think he is crazy but wondered if anyone has heard this before? Thanks for your response!

As far as i know, you are 100% right.... He's crazy! Smile I have never heard of anything like this (not that it says muchTongue), but if he is sooooo sure, and if he had the faintest idea what he is talking about, he would be able to provide some kind of evidence.
26-10-2011, 03:45 PM
I've never heard anything along those lines before. I'm guessing that he means creation science has proved it. Unfortunately for him, creation science is about as far from science as you can get. It's an insult to even call it science. If you got a 5-year old with an overly vivid imagination and asked him to write the most ridiculous story he could think of then it would still be more scientifically plausible than the crap that creation scientists spew!

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
[+] 1 user Likes Hughsie's post
26-10-2011, 05:42 PM
Well today was a really slow day for me so he may be right Tongue

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes FSM_scot's post
26-10-2011, 06:41 PM
(25-10-2011 11:27 AM)Jhawk13 Wrote:  In debating with a christian friend about men reaching ages as high as 950 yrs old in the bronze age, his justification was that time was faster then and science has proved it and it is slowing down as the earth gets older??? He was sure scientists have proven this. I have done a little research and can't find anything. I think he is crazy but wondered if anyone has heard this before? Thanks for your response!

Well, let's do some calculatin'.

If people used to live to 950 (Methuselah, the all-time age champ, was 969), that was roughly ten times the normal maximum lifespan we see today. Assuming human physiology hasn't changed, that would mean that in those times, the length of the year was only about one tenth what it is today. (Time has really slowed down!) What does that imply about the earth's orbit?

Well, dredging up a formula from the astronomy and astrophysics classes of my college days, I recall that for elliptical orbits, time squared is proportional to distance cubed. If we want the length of the year to be a tenth of its present value, then the earth has to be a lot closer to the sun--it works out to about 21.5 percent of its present distance, or 0.215 AU. Now Mercury's semi-major axis is 0.387 AU. So for the earth to have a year one-tenth its present length, it would have to be a lot closer to the sun than Mercury is.

Sounds a tad hot to me.

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
26-10-2011, 07:06 PM
Time has something to do with gravity.
26-10-2011, 07:14 PM
(26-10-2011 07:06 PM)William Wrote:  Time has something to do with gravity.

I'll leave it to the physicists (Zatamon?) to determine if relativistic effects need to be taken into account here. Smile

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
26-10-2011, 11:03 PM
(26-10-2011 07:06 PM)William Wrote:  Time has something to do with gravity.

I *think* time is relative to mass.

So, maybe if the earth got heavier than time is slowing down. I haven't heard of such a thing about earth and time until now though. Confused

I am pretty sure your friend is misinformed or just needs to reveal his secret source he bases his belief on.
27-10-2011, 03:09 AM
What is time but the marking of orbits.....its just a perception.....it might not exist outside of our minds.

You might find this interesting about decay rates though..........(although it has nothing to do with god.....ahhhhhhh)

http://www.futurity.org/science-technolo...-particle/

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
[+] 2 users Like bemore's post
27-10-2011, 11:42 AM

Would we even know if time was slower now than it was then? How would we know? Let me give you an example to explain what I mean. Let's say you are walking on stepping stones. The number of stepping stones it your one and only way to know how far you have gone. Let's say that, as you go further, slowly but surely, the stepping stones are places further apart from each other. But if all you can do is count the stepping stones, you still think you have gone the same distance!
Ok so now let's say the only way you have to count time is a clock. Seconds, minutes, hours. Let's say time is slowing down. What does that mean? That a second now takes longer than a second then. But since all you have is counting seconds, how do you know time is slower when the number of seconds is the same?
Now think of how we measure time. We do so through physical phenomena that repeat regularly. If you have a sun dial, it's just a shadow going from here to there. If it's a water clock, it's the time it takes water to go from one place to the other. If it's an quartz clock, it's the time it takes a crystal to oscillate, etc. Again, if time slows down, then ALL physical phenomena will take longer, which means you have no way of saying time is slowing down.
Please do point out if I am missing something in this argument.

English is not my first language. If you think I am being mean, ask me. It could be just a wording problem.
[+] 1 user Likes sy2502's post