Time slowing down?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-10-2011, 11:52 AM (This post was last modified: 27-10-2011 12:00 PM by mysticjbyrd.)
RE: Time slowing down?
(25-10-2011 11:27 AM)Jhawk13 Wrote:  In debating with a christian friend about men reaching ages as high as 950 yrs old in the bronze age, his justification was that time was faster then and science has proved it and it is slowing down as the earth gets older??? He was sure scientists have proven this. I have done a little research and can't find anything. I think he is crazy but wondered if anyone has heard this before? Thanks for your response!

Lets assume he is right, and time progressed faster in the bronze age, for whatever reason. Then people would age faster from our point of view, and die long before we do.

Science has proven no such thing. The only way I know of to slow/increase time is to drastically increase gravity or velocity. And the planet has neither drastically speed up or become more massive.

Even if there was some unknown factor that caused a time dilation, there is no way to prove it, because everything and everyone with in the time dilation field would experience time in the same manner. You need an outside observer to notice said anomaly.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes mysticjbyrd's post
27-10-2011, 03:28 PM
I have a simpler solution to this which doesn't involve physics and math I don't understand.

I haven't read the entire bible (my head can only take so much). But does the bible mention the age of the animals during when Noah (supposedly) existed. Now if the life span of the animals is the same now as it was back then. Doesn't that mean that time has not slowed? Unless Humans are the only ones affected which in that case I call bull shit.

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!
27-10-2011, 04:51 PM
(27-10-2011 03:28 PM)Hamata k Wrote:  I have a simpler solution to this which doesn't involve physics and math I don't understand.

I haven't read the entire bible (my head can only take so much). But does the bible mention the age of the animals during when Noah (supposedly) existed. Now if the life span of the animals is the same now as it was back then. Doesn't that mean that time has not slowed? Unless Humans are the only ones affected which in that case I call bull shit.

If time was slowed no one would know anything was wrong. One year to them would still be 365.25 days. The people would not live longer than us, they would simply live slower from our perspective. For example, imagine if we had a crystal ball that could look into the past, and we looked into it every day. When we looked into it, it would look like a movie being played in very very slow motion. It would take about a week to watch one day of there lives.

Even Atoms could not escape the affects. Radiometric dating for example, would still date things to the proper age.
27-10-2011, 08:45 PM
Soooooooo.........I don't get it.

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!
29-10-2011, 09:05 PM
Simple historical answer. The Sumerians and other populations of people used to embellish the ages of their Kings and maybe God's. There are many accounts of 36,000 Y/old kings - of course no one believes it, but I bet they would if indoctrinated. =P
I might have heard something about this, but I can hardly recall the hours of Stephen Hawking episodes well enough to remember anything intelligible..

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire
[+] 1 user Likes daemonowner's post
29-10-2011, 09:30 PM
(26-10-2011 03:45 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  ... creation science is about as far from science as you can get. It's an insult to even call it science. If you got a 5-year old with an overly vivid imagination and asked him to write the most ridiculous story he could think of then it would still be more scientifically plausible than the crap that creation scientists spew!

Instead of creation science... It might be more accurate to call it creative science. Wink
Tongue And for once, I don't mean creative in a good way.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
29-10-2011, 09:48 PM (This post was last modified: 29-10-2011 10:02 PM by houseofcantor.)
(27-10-2011 03:09 AM)bemore Wrote:  What is time but the marking of orbits.....its just a perception.....it might not exist outside of our minds.

You might find this interesting about decay rates though..........(although it has nothing to do with god.....ahhhhhhh)

http://www.futurity.org/science-technolo...-particle/

That was awesome. You come up with some awesome shit; and that's the fact, Jack. Cool
This kinda thing is exactly why I hate creationism and not creationists. I have found that stupid questions do exist - but only from being stupid. I try to avoid that condition nowadays.

And this is why I'm an atheist. Even stupid questions gets this crowd thinking...

I remember in my travels through virtuality there was this young lady working some field of cosmology - astrophysics, I'm thinking - who was making noise on her blog that c is not constant and light has been slowing down. As you can imagine, she got a lot of guff for this kinda thinking; but she was the real deal and stood her ground.

At the time, I looked around; it is not an idea the mainstream shares, but the woman did not stand alone.

I'd google it and link it up, but I get stuck sometimes when i go off like that. Just had many hours out of a coupla days disappear into a black hole looking into the equivalence principle - yikes - but for those who are interested, decrease of c might be a good starting place. Wink
(27-10-2011 03:28 PM)Hamata k Wrote:  I have a simpler solution to this which doesn't involve physics and math I don't understand.

Man, that fucking book... if you're not a prophet, burn it and be done with it! Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-10-2011, 05:07 PM
Time is not constant, we have proven that by synchronising two atomic clocks and sending one to the edge of space.
But that’s not the real issue, the issue may be perspective, the sloth probably thinks it’s moving quite quickly.
But to say that time its self was faster or slower?
You would need to step out of the time continuum to measure it.

The possibility of living that length of time and you may want to look into cellular degeneration.
It is now theoretically possible to turn this countdown off in the DNA chain, but the side effects are unknown as yet
Would they have used seasons as a measurement of age and it has been an error in the translation?
Still looking at ages over 200 years though so maybe it was months?
950/12=79 years
A little more reasonable isn’t it?
Not bad for back then ether…

It has been theorised that time is slowing down, as the expanding universe reaches the end of the shockwave from the expansion from the big bag it will start to collapse back in on itself causing time to slow and then reverse.
But we wouldn’t be able to tell as its happening with us in it, no point of perspective.
Someone didn’t think to put windows in our universe, like a blacked out train, you know your moving but how fast and therefore how far are unknown.

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything. Friedrich Nietzsche
30-10-2011, 09:23 PM
(30-10-2011 05:07 PM)Karl Wrote:  But we wouldn’t be able to tell as its happening with us in it, no point of perspective.

Love it Big Grin

If time stopped..........how would you know???

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
31-10-2011, 02:52 PM (This post was last modified: 02-11-2011 05:38 AM by mysticjbyrd.)
(30-10-2011 05:07 PM)Karl Wrote:  It has been theorised that time is slowing down, as the expanding universe reaches the end of the shockwave from the expansion from the big bag it will start to collapse back in on itself causing time to slow and then reverse.

I have heard this, but I also know that the universe expansion is speeding up, not slowing down. Given enough time there is no guarantee gravity will have enough pull to collapse it back. However, I was unaware that time might begin to reverse when the universe collapses back on itself. Interesting.

Personally, I think that time doesn't actually exist, rather it is just something man made to help use understand physical anomalies.
Here is a good article from Discovery.
http://discovermagazine.com/2007/jun/in-...:int=0&-C=