Time to discard religion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-03-2014, 01:17 PM
Time to discard religion
Once we as a global society figure out that we need to treat religion like we did racism, and make it a negative stigma, so that when someone professes to believe in such nonsense people look at you in shock, as we do when some tool uses a racist/sexist etc type comment...we have to stop putting people who call themselves reverend/father/preacher/saint etc up on a pedestal, they should be embarrassed to say, "I believe in a man made delusion designed to control and subjugate the masses." Only then can we progress as a society.

Society doesn't need religion to be moral, this is easily proven. Secular societies are better for everyone. Anyone who has paid attention knows that Denmark and Sweden are among the least religious nations in the world. It is also well known that in various rankings of nations by life expectancy, child welfare, literacy, crime rates, schooling, economic equality, standard of living and competitiveness, Denmark and Sweden stand in the first tier.

Now let’s look at Saudi Arabian countries, a few come to mind, they are most likely the most devout religious people on the planet...it isn't a past time for them, or a moderate belief, they are willing to die for their beliefs...and they subsequently have the lowest rankings for quality of life, schooling etc.

Side note, guess what the biggest religious demographic group in prison is? Christian, the smallest? Atheist. The facts are irrefutable. Let go of the delusion, embrace reality, there is no longer a valid reason to cling to fear based delusions of a super genie simply because science hasn’t provided all of the answers yet to the question of LIFE.

I used to just ignore religion as it has no meaning to me, but then again, as I have stated before I can no longer just look the other way. You have to study the effects of religion, and most major religions to be able to identify the bad emotional impacts subjugation causes. Also on the thought that "why take away faith if it helps people get through the day"...I've never really understood how removing a bad way to reason will make it difficult to get through the day. If anything, it would seem that correcting someone's reasoning would significantly increase their chances of getting through their day.

With reliable forms of reasoning comes the capability of crafting conditions that enable people to navigate life's obstacles. By using a more reliable form of reasoning, people are more capable of bringing about conditions that enable them to flourish.

To argue that people need faith is to abandon hope, and to condescend and accuse the faithful of being incapable of understanding the importance of reason and rationality. There are better and worse ways to come to terms with death, to find strength during times of personal crisis, to make meaning and purpose in our lives, to interpret our sense of awe and wonder, and to contribute to human well-being...and the faithful are completely capable of understanding and achieving this..if they would only try.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
01-03-2014, 01:36 PM
RE: Time to discard religion
I agree with everything you said, however what we as atheists are missing is a strong human support group to help each other get through it all. To many people feel all alone, being what they are.

Forums such as this are helpful and a good start, but much more needs to be done.

Its pathetic that there isnt more continuity amongst us as we tend to be highly individualistic and argumentative, diverse group.

Not sure what the answer is, but maybe in the future it wont be an issue.

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
[+] 3 users Like War Horse's post
01-03-2014, 02:03 PM
What's needed is some kind of strategy... If the ultimate goal of "New Atheism" is to directly challenge religion and the harm it does, then there should be some kind of system to move things along.

What's important right now is to keep religion out of education, medicine, law and politics... That's the front line right there. In the US that means opposing fundamentalism wherever it tries to infiltrate... In the UK, "faith-schools" need to be opposed very vigorously.

At least the ball is rolling, like its never done before... People are being forced to question their beliefs whether they want to or not. We've never seen anything like the books, films, debates and demonstrations in the name of atheism before.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Sam's post
01-03-2014, 02:05 PM
I think the necessity is to stop making religion a taboo. Once that is done it will collapse on its own. If it is false it will collapse eventually.
[+] 1 user Likes donotwant's post
01-03-2014, 02:15 PM
(01-03-2014 02:05 PM)donotwant Wrote:  I think the necessity is to stop making religion a taboo. Once that is done it will collapse on its own. If it is false it will collapse eventually.

Really ? are you fucking kidding ?

Thats got to be the most retarded thing I've heard lately..... seems you have an agenda going on in here.

01-03-2014, 02:16 PM
(01-03-2014 02:15 PM)War Horse Wrote:  
(01-03-2014 02:05 PM)donotwant Wrote:  I think the necessity is to stop making religion a taboo. Once that is done it will collapse on its own. If it is false it will collapse eventually.

Thats got to be the most retarded thing I've heard lately..... seems you have an agenda going on in here.
Did you understand what I said?
I said it is necessity to not keep religion sacred aka in a special place protected from criticism. Stop doing drugs Big Grin
01-03-2014, 02:17 PM
(01-03-2014 02:15 PM)War Horse Wrote:  

I think he means the fact that religion is a taboo subject to debate... Its seen as being a no-go area for criticism.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Sam's post
01-03-2014, 02:28 PM
(01-03-2014 02:17 PM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  
(01-03-2014 02:15 PM)War Horse Wrote:  Really ? are you fucking kidding ?

I think he means the fact that religion is a taboo subject to debate... Its seen as being a no-go area for criticism.

Somehow I read that a bit differently and may have taken it wrong,but I'm just seeing a underhanded approach by this guy when I put it in context with his other posts.

01-03-2014, 04:22 PM
Well said, goodwithoutgod.

I completely agree with you.

I think that while religion will never completely be eradicated (as there will always be somebody so willfully ignorant, no amount of evidence against their belief or lack of evidence for their belief can persuade them from believing in nonsense), what we'll see in the next few decades, is atheism/agnosticism/non religious people growing in number. This is, I'd say, predominantly due to the age/era of knowledge. The internet has so many different opinions now, and easy accessibility to otherwise tedious information open to skepticism that people are slowly beginning evaluate, subsequently leading to them to see the truth.

We must deal with many things to make it easier for people to be able to and want to express their thoughts. I will list the three that I think are the most important for discarding religion. More precisely, for making religion less of an influence in our society, by suppressing it into the trash bin of history, by way of knowledge and reason. Remember, the pen is more powerful than the sword.

1) Awareness

It seems that in today's society, there are too many blind followers. People who only go to their church, and only read christian books. I guarantee you that if you only read books supporting religion, you will never be able to break free from the lies. We need to help these people that are susceptible to religious influences. We can do this by way of promoting knowledge in a friendly way. All we need to do, is to give them the lighter to spark the flame of reason into their brain. The rest, as they say, is history.

2) More and more support groups/communities

The Personal help & issues sub-forum on this website is a great example of this. If only we could convey it to a much broader audience. There are so many people out there who need help with so many issues, and they can't get the help they need for many many reasons. They could be in an abusive family that does not support their freedom of individuality, being one. We need more atheist help organizations out there. Things like what the ffrf (Freedom From Religion Foundation) is doing regarding abortion. People who need an abortion call in, and ask for some money. There was this one case of a 13 year old girl who was raped by her 17 year old brother and got pregnant. This organization helped her get an abortion. If it weren't for them, she might have been coerced by a religious community to keep the baby anyways, regardless and inconsiderate of the physical and mental issues that the family will have to endure.

3) Worldwide acceptance of atheism, especially in the more religious countries

This is probably the hardest one to achieve. Let's face it, with so much religious dominance in countries like Iran, Saudi Arabia, this one seems impossible. It may take years, decades, or even centuries to achieve this, but we can slowly make it happen. The way we can do this is to make people more aware of what atheism is and not the misconceptions their churches or mosques or temples tell them. This ties into the first point (awareness). It is unfortunate that so many religious people I know are so shocked when they find out someone is an atheist. To them, it's like finding out that someone in the family is cheating on their wife. It's an embarrassment that I even have to equate cheating on a spouse to atheism, but this, unfortunately, is how some religious folks I know see it.

I'm guessing this is because their religious communities are tending to make atheism repulsive by spreading misconceptions, lies, false representations, and disgusting generalizations of what atheism means. It's not a creed, or a philosophy, it is simply the absence of belief in any deity. These people need to learn about what atheism is, and when they do that, what will be their excuse not to accept it?

All in all, adhering to these points will contribute to the discarding of religion. When more and more people start seeing the truth, they will (hopefully) do the logical thing and abandon their faith. We must be patient and persistent, our efforts will not be in vain...

Thanks for reading, hope you got something out of it.

Everyday is judgement day. Use your judgement, use reason.
[+] 2 users Like Freethought's post
01-03-2014, 07:58 PM
(01-03-2014 04:22 PM)Freethought Wrote:  Well said, goodwithoutgod.

I completely agree with you.

I think that while religion will never completely be eradicated (as there will always be somebody so willfully ignorant, no amount of evidence against their belief or lack of evidence for their belief can persuade them from believing in nonsense), what we'll see in the next few decades, is atheism/agnosticism/non religious people growing in number. This is, I'd say, predominantly due to the age/era of knowledge. The internet has so many different opinions now, and easy accessibility to otherwise tedious information open to skepticism that people are slowly beginning evaluate, subsequently leading to them to see the truth.

We must deal with many things to make it easier for people to be able to and want to express their thoughts. I will list the three that I think are the most important for discarding religion. More precisely, for making religion less of an influence in our society, by suppressing it into the trash bin of history, by way of knowledge and reason. Remember, the pen is more powerful than the sword.

1) Awareness

It seems that in today's society, there are too many blind followers. People who only go to their church, and only read christian books. I guarantee you that if you only read books supporting religion, you will never be able to break free from the lies. We need to help these people that are susceptible to religious influences. We can do this by way of promoting knowledge in a friendly way. All we need to do, is to give them the lighter to spark the flame of reason into their brain. The rest, as they say, is history.

2) More and more support groups/communities

The Personal help & issues sub-forum on this website is a great example of this. If only we could convey it to a much broader audience. There are so many people out there who need help with so many issues, and they can't get the help they need for many many reasons. They could be in an abusive family that does not support their freedom of individuality, being one. We need more atheist help organizations out there. Things like what the ffrf (Freedom From Religion Foundation) is doing regarding abortion. People who need an abortion call in, and ask for some money. There was this one case of a 13 year old girl who was raped by her 17 year old brother and got pregnant. This organization helped her get an abortion. If it weren't for them, she might have been coerced by a religious community to keep the baby anyways, regardless and inconsiderate of the physical and mental issues that the family will have to endure.

3) Worldwide acceptance of atheism, especially in the more religious countries

This is probably the hardest one to achieve. Let's face it, with so much religious dominance in countries like Iran, Saudi Arabia, this one seems impossible. It may take years, decades, or even centuries to achieve this, but we can slowly make it happen. The way we can do this is to make people more aware of what atheism is and not the misconceptions their churches or mosques or temples tell them. This ties into the first point (awareness). It is unfortunate that so many religious people I know are so shocked when they find out someone is an atheist. To them, it's like finding out that someone in the family is cheating on their wife. It's an embarrassment that I even have to equate cheating on a spouse to atheism, but this, unfortunately, is how some religious folks I know see it.

I'm guessing this is because their religious communities are tending to make atheism repulsive by spreading misconceptions, lies, false representations, and disgusting generalizations of what atheism means. It's not a creed, or a philosophy, it is simply the absence of belief in any deity. These people need to learn about what atheism is, and when they do that, what will be their excuse not to accept it?

All in all, adhering to these points will contribute to the discarding of religion. When more and more people start seeing the truth, they will (hopefully) do the logical thing and abandon their faith. We must be patient and persistent, our efforts will not be in vain...

Thanks for reading, hope you got something out of it.

Excellent point and post free, thanks Smile

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)