Time to gun shop...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-09-2012, 12:20 AM
RE: Time to gun shop...
I forgot Ruger, which is embarrassing because I own one! The SP-101 is a nice gun. They also make a shrouded hammer equivalent of that gun.

Something else to consider is how you carry it. Unfortunately women are very limited in the number of ways they can carry a concealed weapon and end up putting it in their purse, which is the WORST place to carry a gun.

For thieves, a woman's purse frequently IS the target. The strap can be cut and it will be gone, before you even realize what's happened. Even if that doesn't happen, you still don't want to be rummaging around in your purse, hunting for your gun. You want to be able to get to it NOW. Also, purses are full of debris that can work their way into a gun and keep it from functioning properly. If you HAVE to carry your gun in a purse, then be sure to buy a purse that's made specifically for that purpose.

An inside-the-waistband holster, or inside a pocket are the the best options, and I recommend Barami Hip-Grips. http://www.baramihipgrip.com/index.html
They're similar to regular grips, but have a lip that will catch in your waistband so you can carry it without a holster if you want, but don't interfere with using a holster if you have one.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes imlemuel's post
30-09-2012, 12:28 AM
Thanks for all the info! I am still gathering and talked to a lady I met through work. She is about my size and our hands are same size. She has a concealed carry license. We may go on a different kind of shopping spree.

I have the name of a local range that has ladies night on Tuesdays as well as quite a selection of weapons you can try out. Should be a good place to meet other women and see what they carry.

I definitely wouldn't want to carry in my purse...I can't put my hand quickly on anything in there now.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 4 users Like Anjele's post
30-09-2012, 09:12 AM
(30-09-2012 12:28 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Thanks for all the info! I am still gathering and talked to a lady I met through work. She is about my size and our hands are same size. She has a concealed carry license. We may go on a different kind of shopping spree.

I have the name of a local range that has ladies night on Tuesdays as well as quite a selection of weapons you can try out. Should be a good place to meet other women and see what they carry.

I definitely wouldn't want to carry in my purse...I can't put my hand quickly on anything in there now.

Don't forget that, as much info. as we can give you; the guy at the gun shop will be able to give you some as well. They have women coming in every day specifically asking for "something to protect myself with". They'll know exactly what you should be looking for, and they'll be able to make their own educated suggestions to you, face-to-face.

Lastly, the range with other shooters is a great place for you to be. You'll become more comfortable with firearms and the prospect of using one if and when the situation calls for it. Training your body and mind is essential. The gun needs to be an extension of you - not just something loud and deadly you're holding.

Good luck! Smile

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Misanthropik's post
30-09-2012, 10:37 AM
I keep a large rubber hammer in my car, and when I am walking through my apartment at 5 in the morning, I carry it. It has warned off a gun aimed at me (he shook the gun; I shook the hammer), and it warned off troube twice after that. A guy tried to jump in my car at an intersection; the hammer worked. I live alone, and I work odd hours, so I decided on a rubber hammer. I decided against a gun because I really don't want to face the possibility of killing anyone, especially out of panic. I did look at stun guns once. I figured I'd never get it to work quick enough, a little complicated.
[+] 1 user Likes depat's post
30-09-2012, 12:12 PM
This was on an ad at the top of this thread. Made me laugh.

[Image: gun.jpg]

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
30-09-2012, 01:58 PM
I am not carrying a rubber hammer....thanks for that.

If I was going to carry something like that, I may as well have a baseball bat in my car.

Course it's a lot like bringing a knife to a gun fight.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
30-09-2012, 05:19 PM
Just remember, get whatever suits you, just as long as it's a m1911.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
01-10-2012, 01:08 AM (This post was last modified: 01-10-2012 04:42 PM by depat.)
Anjele:
Laughing my ass off. I never considered a bat/hammer, hmm.
01-10-2012, 03:36 PM
Before I could legally carry a gun; I carried a big construction hammer. It ended up being a joke among my friends: "Uh oh...John's gonna get the hammer..."

I liked the brutality aspect of it. A hammer says "I'm not fuckin' scared to get up-close and personal. I'm ok with the tremors of impact as I smack you in the skull. I don't mind a little blood. *Licks hammer*"

...Now I miss my hammer Confused

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
[+] 1 user Likes Misanthropik's post
01-10-2012, 04:12 PM
(01-10-2012 03:36 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  Before I could legally carry a gun; I carried a big construction hammer. It ended up being a joke among my friends: "Uh oh...John's gonna get the hammer..."

I liked the brutality aspect of it. A hammer says "I'm not fuckin' scared to get up-close and personal. I'm ok with the tremors of impact as I smack you in the skull. I don't mind a little blood. *Licks hammer*"

...Now I miss my hammer Confused

I've got me a hunting knife and a club for the times a gun is inconvenient.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]