Timebunt gentes nomen tuum Domine

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-09-2013, 02:28 PM
RE: Timebunt gentes nomen tuum Domine
טז וְיִֽירְאוּ גוֹיִם אֶת־שֵׁם יְהֹוָה

There's also no hint of "gentile"/unbeliever in the Hebrew, either.
It's "nations".

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-09-2013, 02:58 PM
(22-09-2013 01:38 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(22-09-2013 01:24 PM)Dom Wrote:  Actually, literally it's "peoples". Nations works, but the boundaries are not politics but clans. Gentiles does not work whatsoever.

That can be, but often "omnes gentes" is followed immediately by "omnes populi", so I always thought if they meant to say "peoples" they would say "populi". For some reason I seem to remember there's also a "masculine" nuance in "gentes" ... I'll have to look it up.

They should have kept going for ex's sake : "respexit in orationem humilium et non sprevit precem eorum,
scribantur haec in generationem alteram et populus qui creabitur laudabit Dominum"

Tongue

I studied Latin for 6 years - eons ago. I forgot most of it. So I may well be wrong. But that's what my brain stored away someplace...I got populi as populations.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
22-09-2013, 04:53 PM
(22-09-2013 02:36 AM)excubitor Wrote:  The Allelluia reading today the 18th Sunday after Pentecost in the Extraordinary form of the Latin Rite of the Roman Catholic Church is from Psalm 101:16 and reads as follows.

Allelluia, Allelluia. The Gentiles shall fear Thy name, O Lord: and all the kings of the earth Thy glory Allelluia.

Seriously, dude? Shocking

Do you think this crap has any effect other than pity for and annoyance at you? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-09-2013, 04:58 PM
(22-09-2013 04:53 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(22-09-2013 02:36 AM)excubitor Wrote:  The Allelluia reading today the 18th Sunday after Pentecost in the Extraordinary form of the Latin Rite of the Roman Catholic Church is from Psalm 101:16 and reads as follows.

Allelluia, Allelluia. The Gentiles shall fear Thy name, O Lord: and all the kings of the earth Thy glory Allelluia.

Seriously, dude? Shocking

Do you think this crap has any effect other than pity for and annoyance at you? Consider

Why would anyone be proud of a deity that induced fear ?
"For god so loved the world .... bla bla bla."
Moody god they got.

Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
22-09-2013, 08:09 PM
Well it definitely sounds better in the original elvish.
Besides, everyone knows tengwar is the native language of real magic.
May Mystra and her chosen Elminster and Khelben Arunsun smile upon you.

I said smile, not point and laugh.
[+] 1 user Likes GaëlK7's post
23-09-2013, 04:44 AM
(22-09-2013 11:43 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Da fuq? All my references show Psalms 101 as having only 8 verses. ... Help a brother out here Bucky, where da fuq Psalms 101:16 come from?
The Catholics number the psalms differently to most of the Bible.
The Douay-Rheims Catholic Bible is here
http://www.drbo.org/x/d?b=drb&bk=21&ch=101&l=16#x
23-09-2013, 04:50 AM
(23-09-2013 04:44 AM)excubitor Wrote:  
(22-09-2013 11:43 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Da fuq? All my references show Psalms 101 as having only 8 verses. ... Help a brother out here Bucky, where da fuq Psalms 101:16 come from?
The Catholics number the psalms differently to most of the Bible.
The Douay-Rheims Catholic Bible is here
http://www.drbo.org/x/d?b=drb&bk=21&ch=101&l=16#x

So the Catholics don't care about graven images, and they read a reordered Bible. THEY'RE LEGIT EVERYONE! Laughat

[Image: ezgif_save_1.gif]
23-09-2013, 04:50 AM
The Douay-Rheims Catholic Bible is a direct translation from the latin.http://www.drbo.org/x/d?b=drb&bk=21&ch=101&l=16#x
I might be an amateur but neither am I an unlearned moron. Where do you think we get the word gentiles from? Gentiles means "peoples" and "nations".
23-09-2013, 05:03 AM
A "gentile" depending on context meant "non-Israelite".
The more this fool says, the more he demonstrates his ignorance.
No one cares about his cult's translation.

23-09-2013, 05:03 AM
(22-09-2013 02:58 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(22-09-2013 01:38 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  That can be, but often "omnes gentes" is followed immediately by "omnes populi", so I always thought if they meant to say "peoples" they would say "populi". For some reason I seem to remember there's also a "masculine" nuance in "gentes" ... I'll have to look it up.

They should have kept going for ex's sake : "respexit in orationem humilium et non sprevit precem eorum,
scribantur haec in generationem alteram et populus qui creabitur laudabit Dominum"

Tongue

I studied Latin for 6 years - eons ago. I forgot most of it. So I may well be wrong. But that's what my brain stored away someplace...I got populi as populations.
I have never studied latin but having a practical use for it helps in learning. I follow it along at the mass and attempt to translate.
My translation of the text above (without looking it up_ is) He regards the prayer of the humble and will not spurn(not sure) their prayer. They have written this in another generation and those who believed will praise the Lord. Probably a whole lot wrong with this translation but I am getting better at it all the time.

Its a beautiful language and I have no shame in confessing that it does help to lift a student to a higher level. That is why you were taught latin for 6 years. It is a pity that you have not kept it up.

I think populi is people too and is a synonym of gentes/gentiles. For Jews the word gentes had a derogatory connotation in that gentiles were not Jews. That form of speech has persisted to this day, which is why the earlier looper claimed that he was not a gentile. So he must think then that he is a Jew. Today we would probably use the words atheist/pagan/heathen/unbeliever but in effect the connotation is the same. Gentiles are not Christians. Some Christians were gentiles but upon conversion they became the people of God. Their citizenship is no longer of this world but they look towards a better country as did their Father Abraham.