Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
29-09-2013, 07:08 AM
RE: Timebunt gentes nomen tuum Domine
Bump.

(29-09-2013 05:33 AM)excubitor Wrote:  So I understand these things because I am a spiritual man, born again of the Holy Spirit in baptism, having received the power to defend the faith through the confirmation of the Holy Spirit which I received by anointing from the hand of the priest of God.

So then, defend this, Church Lady. Apparently what "spiritual man" means is that one gets to lie, and call it the truth.

The Bible itself was one of the FIRST books put on the Index of Forbidden Books, in 1543, but far earlier had been banned for personal possession by the Council of Toulouse.

America Magazine (a very popular publication written by and for Catholics) agrees.
http://americamagazine.org/issue/517/art...dden-books
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Index_Libro...ohibitorum

In fact, even in modern times, Rome was STILL actively attempting to restrict intellectual freedom, and they readily admit it.
http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/07721a.htm

Pope Innocent III stated in 1199:
... to be reproved are those who translate into French the Gospels, the letters of Paul, the psalter, etc. They are moved by a certain love of Scripture in order to explain them clandestinely and to preach them to one another. The mysteries of the faith are not to explained rashly to anyone. Usually in fact, they cannot be understood by everyone but only by those who are qualified to understand them with informed intelligence. The depth of the divine Scriptures is such that not only the illiterate and uninitiated have difficulty understanding them, but also the educated and the gifted (Denzinger-Schönmetzer, Enchiridion Symbolorum 770-771)
Source: Bridging the Gap - Lectio Divina, Religious Education, and the Have-not's by Father John Belmonte, S.J.

1229 A.D - The Council of Toulouse,
which met in November of 1229, about the time of the crusade against the Albigensians, set up a special ecclesiastical tribunal, or court, known as the Inquisition (Lat. inquisitio, "an inquiry"), to search out and try heretics, (not unlike excubitor). It ruled :

Canon 1. We appoint, therefore, that the archbishops and bishops shall swear in one priest, and two or three laymen of good report, or more if they think fit, in every parish, both in and out of cities, who shall diligently, faithfully, and frequently seek out the heretics in those parishes, by searching all houses and subterranean chambers which lie under suspicion. And looking out for appendages or outbuildings, in the roofs themselves, or any other kind of hiding places, all which we direct to be destroyed.

Canon 6. Directs that the house in which any heretic shall be found shall be destroyed.

Canon 14. We prohibit also that the laity should be permitted to have the books of the Old or New Testament; unless anyone from motive of devotion should wish to have the Psalter or the Breviary for divine offices or the hours of the blessed Virgin; but we most strictly forbid their having any translation of these books.

Source: Heresy and Authority in Medieval Europe, Edited with an introduction by Edward Peters, Scolar Press, London, copyright 1980 by Edward Peters, ISBN 0-85967-621-8, pp. 194-195, citing S. R. Maitland, Facts and Documents [illustrative of the history, doctrine and rites, of the ancient Albigenses & Waldenses], London, Rivington, 1832, pp. 192-194.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating yogi, CAAT-LY.
Yeah, for verily I say unto thee, and this we know : Jebus no likey that which doth tickle thee unto thy nether regions.

Find all posts by this user
29-09-2013, 07:25 AM
(28-09-2013 06:13 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(24-09-2013 08:03 AM)Chas Wrote:  I only do it to annoy. Big Grin

Congratulations. You are fucking annoying. Angry

Big Grin

Thank you. I am happy that my efforts are not wasted. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
29-09-2013, 10:14 AM
If I get it right, that god guy is pleased when people talk to it in forgotten and lesser used languages. Instead of Latin or Greek, which are still widely taught, why not go straight to Aramaic?
Yeshua bin Yussef, provided he's not a fictionnal character, came from the cuturally dominating realm of Egypt. Wouldn't it be more pleasing for that god to have the Bible in hieroglyphic translation rather than greek script?

Besides which, if the point is to NOT be understood, the best means remains using «tongues», which we heathens colloquially refer to as gibberish. At least you'd be certain to be the only one person to understand a word.
That said, elvish, being the actual language of magic, and being understood by far less people than either Greek or Latin should be considered a serious contender to both Aramaic or ancient Egyptian.
30-09-2013, 04:26 AM
(29-09-2013 10:14 AM)GaëlK7 Wrote:  If I get it right, that god guy is pleased when people talk to it in forgotten and lesser used languages. Instead of Latin or Greek, which are still widely taught, why not go straight to Aramaic?
Yeshua bin Yussef, provided he's not a fictionnal character, came from the cuturally dominating realm of Egypt. Wouldn't it be more pleasing for that god to have the Bible in hieroglyphic translation rather than greek script?

Besides which, if the point is to NOT be understood, the best means remains using «tongues», which we heathens colloquially refer to as gibberish. At least you'd be certain to be the only one person to understand a word.
That said, elvish, being the actual language of magic, and being understood by far less people than either Greek or Latin should be considered a serious contender to both Aramaic or ancient Egyptian.
The reason Hebrew is a sacred language is because that is the language which was used in God's temple in Jerusalem the capital of his nation Israel and Judah.
The reason Latin is a sacred language is because that is the language which was used exclusively in God's temple the church in all the kingdoms of the west for almost 2000 years.
The reason Greek is a sacred language is because that is the language which was used exclusively in God's temple the church in all the kingdoms of the east for almost 2000 years.
Elvish Aramaic or ancient Egyptian were never used in the congregation of Israel or in the church and therefore cannot be regarded as sacred languages.

It is also the very fact that people use these languages only for spiritual reasons and use a different language for common use that makes those languages which are dedicated to worship to be sacred.

For those of you who are struggling to comprehend the concept of a sacred language then you might like to read wikipedia on the subject.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacred_language

Its OK guys I get it. For you there is nothing sacred so its hard to be surprised that you are struggling on this point.
30-09-2013, 06:32 AM (This post was last modified: 30-09-2013 09:01 AM by Bucky Ball.)
One might think that the fact that one of his gods actually spoke a language, might make it "sacred".
Why would a language used in a building to praise a deity BY HUMANS,
make a language MORE important than a language used BY that very "divine" deity ? (Aramaic)
I see the rituals, to him are MORE important than the deity they think they worship.

He just makes up shit, as he likes/NEEDS to think he's an expert in something.
So the human use is more important than the "divine" use .. I see. Alrighty then.

Oh. Thanks for reminding me ... I meant to mention this.
This fool who was saying the editors of Wiki could not be trusted, as you can see, both here, and in his blubbering on Catholic Answers,
USES WIKI himself, repeatedly, constantly, even while denigrating it out of the other side of his mouth, calling it untrustworthy.

Here's what they really say about the subject.
http://www.vatican.va/archive/hist_counc...um_en.html

In Vatican II's Constitution on the Sacred Liturgy it says :
(Introduction)

"3. Wherefore the sacred Council judges that the following principles concerning the promotion and reform of the liturgy should be called to mind, and that practical norms should be established.

Among these principles and norms there are some which can and should be applied both to the Roman rite and also to all the other rites. The practical norms which follow, however, should be taken as applying only to the Roman rite, except for those which, in the very nature of things, affect other rites as well.

4. Lastly, in faithful obedience to tradition, the sacred Council declares that holy Mother Church holds all lawfully acknowledged rites to be of equal right and dignity; that she wishes to preserve them in the future and to foster them in every way. The Council also desires that, where necessary, the rites be revised carefully in the light of sound tradition, and that they be given new vigor to meet the circumstances and needs of modern times.

It's very clear. Latin (or any other human language) does not have any "preeminent" position, or "sacred status", and that he's a heretic. Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating yogi, CAAT-LY.
Yeah, for verily I say unto thee, and this we know : Jebus no likey that which doth tickle thee unto thy nether regions.

[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
30-09-2013, 06:06 PM
I think Bucky has you beat excubitor. Latin ain't a more holy language. Its just the official language of the church. Its why I avoid saying extraordinary form as that implies its better then the ordinary.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

Up to the heretic, smack, smack, smack!
Down to the jail went Good St. Nick!

When people say WWJD just remember that flipping tables and whipping people is still a valid option.