Timothy Leary

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-08-2011, 08:31 AM (This post was last modified: 13-08-2011 08:48 AM by Filox.)
Timothy Leary
I just ran across one interesting idea and explanation from an old LSD guru Timothy Leary. Of course he was completely fried with huge doses of LSD, but on the other hand, his mind was perfectly calm and focused... Listen to this and give your comment if you have any. I quite like what he tells about religion and how he explains it. This was 50 years ago...

Timothy Leary - Religion of Intelligence

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDDMk6FCYIk

Tim Leary - Christianity is Disempowering

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhC5uo3Is...re=related

Timothy Leary - Evolution of Intelligence

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luxnPhVQUGI&NR=1

P.S.
He refers to God as "she"...

Smile

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-08-2011, 08:34 PM
RE: Timothy Leary
I met Timothy Leary a few years before he died. I didn't understand his appeal, though I also caught him well past his prime. I doubt I would find Hugh Hefner that impressive or cool if I met him now.
[+] 1 user Likes advancedatheist's post
15-08-2011, 05:42 AM
You met that great man? So cool...

-Hunter S. Thompson
17-09-2011, 11:06 PM
Timothy Leary may have had his downsides, but it would be wrong to say that he was a bad person because he lead plenty of Anti-War movements. John Lennon wrote the song, "Come Together" for Timothy Leary. He did want peace during his younger years, however, in his later years, he went a little too far off. He stated that his job was to corrupt the minds of young people, which was reasonably odd.

His psychological research at Harvard University during the 1960's was what started it all, so we must thank him for encouraging people the, "think for theirselves and question authority."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdnuOKu6Wqs
18-09-2011, 04:17 AM
Very impressive his thoughts about the religion of intelligence while he's high Big Grin
But, yes, it's really interesting.
19-09-2011, 03:15 AM
Quote:He stated that his job was to corrupt the minds of young people, which was reasonably odd.

This isn't that odd if you think about it for a minute. What he meant to say that we all have our own brainwashings and indoctrinations, so he wanted to "corrupt" those minds to become normal and to start thinking for themselves. It was Timothy Leary, you have to read between the lines always... If you think about it, all of us here have corrupted minds.

Smile

-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 1 user Likes Filox's post
09-12-2011, 06:22 PM
(19-09-2011 03:15 AM)Filox Wrote:  
Quote:He stated that his job was to corrupt the minds of young people, which was reasonably odd.

This isn't that odd if you think about it for a minute. What he meant to say that we all have our own brainwashings and indoctrinations, so he wanted to "corrupt" those minds to become normal and to start thinking for themselves. It was Timothy Leary, you have to read between the lines always... If you think about it, all of us here have corrupted minds.

Smile

I believe we are all very heavily indoctrinated by the media, consumerism, greed, valueless values. A lot of unpleasantness makes up the norm but are the alternatives simply another set of negative norms?
Leary's mate Richard Alpert got heavily into Hinduism/Buddhism etc; I personally find some of his writings, as Ram Dass, pretty over the top. New Age stuff makes up a pretty big chunk of corporate consumerism; it is a niche market.