Tinitus, watch your ears people

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-04-2013, 09:56 AM
Tinitus, watch your ears people
This thread will mostly reflect on younger audiences, since I feel it matters more to prevent this from happening to younger people.

For those who don't what tinitus is, it is roughly explained by me. Tinitus is a health issue related to your ears. Inside our ears, we have several elements that catches noises, and transfers it into our brain. Sometimes, the reseptors inside can get damaged(by that I do not mean becoming deaf, allthough that is trauma can happen later). This damage can be caused by multiple cases: infections, tumors, and the most common reason is long exposure to loud noises over 85 decibels. What happens, is that the reseptors can no longer define noises properly, and other creates it's own noises, call them phantom noises if you like. How these noises sound varies from person to person, but many hear hissing and beeps (long or in intervals). It doesn't sound all that bad from here, but I'm about to share a story to you about something that happened to me just a week ago.

So this one day, at night, I got a long beeping sound in my ear. I have had similar sounds before, they last about 2 seconds and die afterwards. But this one didn't stop. I knew what tinitus was. My best friend, fellow metalhead and member of a hard rock band, had one year ago contracted the trauma. It was a big blow to him, as it made his planned education, which was within mechanics impossible for him to complete because of the loud noises that was within the field. Back to me. I got very paranoid when I got the noise. I walked back and forth trying to think what the hell to do. Eventually, after about 10 or 15 minutes, the sound died. I felt relief, but also fear. What if it happens again. I won't lie. I have exposed myself to loud noises before, and have been rather careless. Example: In the summer I was at the MetalTown festival in Sweden. At the final set, with was my favorite band Slayer, my earbuds which was made of wax and used by the millitary (got em from my aunt who works for the airforce), which made standing in the front of Anthrax and Mastadon completely safe; simply dissapeared. That meant that I had to use the sterofoam ones instead. For a person who stood at the front row of the heaviest band of all time, with the bass of Dave Lombardo, sterofoam doesn't work for shit. After that night, I had a blocked feeling in left ear. But it died away aswell, and I thought that since it was my first Slayer concert, it was worth it. Back to present day, I was happy that beeping sound was gone. Then I started to listen for it, waiting to hear if it returned. Now, I have always had some sort of whisling sound in my ears, as long as I can remember, I even have tapes of me talking about as a three year old. I started to pay attention to this whisling sound. And that's when all hell broke loose inside my head. The sound got LOUD. VERY LOUD. I thought it was going to go away. But the more I thought about the sound, the louder it got. I do not want explain the next three days in detail. Short for it, it was torture. I couldn't sleep, I couldn't think, all I had was that fucking sound. But the real pain came from my stomach, it was brutal, the same feeling one gets from guilt or regret, like "What the fuck have I done to myself now?". I did talk my parents about the case, my mother has a medical degree, and said if this is something you have always had, then you must get it into your head that it's normal, and that you have to live with it. After a while, I did pick up this tactic, and it worked. As I sit here now, I have no problem with the sound. I basically told it to go fuck itself and leave alone, and managed to get my thoughts in a diffrent direction. And so, I felt like I was free. I do not know if I have tinitus or not, but an eartest can tell me. Otherwise, I have picked up the idea of not blasting the soundsystem to the max anymore.

What I'm trying to get through here, is that people often do get careless with their hearing. I know people who go to concerts without earbuds or any other protection. By doing this, you are asking for it. It only takes one big concert to ruin your hearing. And most who do this lie around my age with goes from 14-30 years old (I am 17). So, next time you head to something noisy, don't be careless.

If you found my explation about tinitus flawed or you seek more info just check out wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinnitus

I hope my wall of text doesn't bother anyone, but I'm to lazy to put any spoilers

They came, they saw and acknowledged
Some good, some bad
Opinion: Dangerous
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like ELK12695's post
04-04-2013, 10:01 AM
RE: Tinitus, watch your ears people
I tried watching my ears but it hurt my eyes too much...

Badum-tss!

Still, good points. My Android has a warning when I try to play music too loud, for just this reason - I think everything should have similar warnings. You only get one pair of ears and hearing loss doesn't grow back.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 2 users Like Aseptic Skeptic's post
04-04-2013, 10:08 AM
(04-04-2013 10:01 AM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  You only get one pair of ears and hearing loss doesn't grow back.

Yes. I never goes away. Some can cope with it, others can't. Some take it to the lenght of suicide. I would never be able to do that. But I will never want have those three days of fear and paranoia back.

They came, they saw and acknowledged
Some good, some bad
Opinion: Dangerous
04-04-2013, 01:11 PM
My first duty station in the Marines was on a rifle range, so I ended up having my ears pounded with unfiltered gunfire for two years. My ears still ring & I've had some hearing loss, but I'm pretty used to it at this point. That said, I wish I would have had the foresight to have worn hearing protection! Idea
07-04-2013, 06:03 PM
I love reading threads like this. I'm a senior in high school, so of course I love music. I like any genre of music besides country and rap, so I go a lot of rock, and metal concerts. But unlike my friends and others who go, I actually wear ear plugs. I had a really bad ear infection once that left a hole in my ear drum, and left me deaf for a month. It healed using antibiotics and etc, but I just couldn't imagine having such hearing problems perm.

“My Nation expects me to be physically harder and mentally stronger than my enemies. If knocked down, I will get back up, every time. I will draw on every remaining ounce of strength to protect my teammates and to accomplish our mission. I am never out of the fight.” - Marcus Luttrell
07-04-2013, 06:05 PM
Uh?

What did he say?

Speak up a bit, will ya, youngster.

07-04-2013, 06:13 PM
(07-04-2013 06:05 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Uh?

What did he say?

Tinnitus DLJ, not alcoholism. Tongue

*ducks*

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 3 users Like cheapthrillseaker's post
07-04-2013, 06:22 PM
(07-04-2013 06:13 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  
(07-04-2013 06:05 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Uh?

What did he say?

Tinnitus DLJ, not alcoholism. Tongue

*ducks*

And you, there!

GET OFF MY LAWN.
Angry

btw, regarding the OP, hearing problems are a real bummer (unless someone is asking you to do something you don't want to do) but tinnitus is also painful.

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
07-04-2013, 06:27 PM
I don't know if I have tinnitus. I avoid loud places like concerts, I've been at some just a few times in my life. Got a bit deafened but it wore off soon.

However, I hear this sound very often. It's like a soft, extremely high-pitched hissing or ringing, like air leaking out of a microscopic pore under high pressure. I hear it - but definitely not in my ears. It's more like inside my head, right in the center, right around the pituitary gland. I hear it when I'm meditating, but also when typing, I get into meditation very often when typing...
It's not disturbing and it dies down when I let the meditative or contemplative focus drop. It is however accompanied by most peculiar feelings that a neurologist would shake his head, but an esotericist would be delighted.
In case any brain cancer patients report similar sensations, please make sure to tell me!

I feel like there are conduits all over my head, converging on the point between the eyebrows or at the base of the skull. I feel vibrating and excitation in these pathways, vibrations and tension, pressure and pleasure. The same inside the head, where I hear the hissing, only more so.

There's more to it, but nevermind. Despite of the fact that mp3 player with earbuds is my best friend, I don't think I have a real tinnitus.
My hearing could be a little damaged. I don't listen to loud music, but the sheer amount of listening might have an effect. I find that I don't understand sometimes what people say, unless they say it again. It gets worse if many people talk at the same time. But it might be an inborn issue. As for that hissing noise, I of course remember hearing it randomly when I was a child. Now I don't hear it randomly, but when I "meditate", which is very often. But it's another reason why it's probably not a tinnitus.

If you claim there are nuances to principles, there are no nuances to getting arrested or shot for disobeying the power.
The Venus Project
FreeDomain Radio - The greatest philosophy show on the web!
07-04-2013, 06:47 PM
(07-04-2013 06:22 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(07-04-2013 06:13 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  Tinnitus DLJ, not alcoholism. Tongue

*ducks*

And you, there!

GET OFF MY LAWN.
Angry

btw, regarding the OP, hearing problems are a real bummer (unless someone is asking you to do something you don't want to do) but tinnitus is also painful.

You have a lawn? Blink

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 2 users Like cheapthrillseaker's post