Tinitus, watch your ears people

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-04-2013, 01:14 PM
RE: Tinitus, watch your ears people
(07-04-2013 06:27 PM)Luminon Wrote:  I don't know if I have tinnitus. I avoid loud places like concerts, I've been at some just a few times in my life. Got a bit deafened but it wore off soon.

However, I hear this sound very often. It's like a soft, extremely high-pitched hissing or ringing, like air leaking out of a microscopic pore under high pressure. I hear it - but definitely not in my ears. It's more like inside my head, right in the center, right around the pituitary gland. I hear it when I'm meditating, but also when typing, I get into meditation very often when typing...
It's not disturbing and it dies down when I let the meditative or contemplative focus drop. It is however accompanied by most peculiar feelings that a neurologist would shake his head, but an esotericist would be delighted.
In case any brain cancer patients report similar sensations, please make sure to tell me!

I feel like there are conduits all over my head, converging on the point between the eyebrows or at the base of the skull. I feel vibrating and excitation in these pathways, vibrations and tension, pressure and pleasure. The same inside the head, where I hear the hissing, only more so.

There's more to it, but nevermind. Despite of the fact that mp3 player with earbuds is my best friend, I don't think I have a real tinnitus.
My hearing could be a little damaged. I don't listen to loud music, but the sheer amount of listening might have an effect. I find that I don't understand sometimes what people say, unless they say it again. It gets worse if many people talk at the same time. But it might be an inborn issue. As for that hissing noise, I of course remember hearing it randomly when I was a child. Now I don't hear it randomly, but when I "meditate", which is very often. But it's another reason why it's probably not a tinnitus.

Kinda sounds like I have the same sound you have. But just ignore it now, and try not to think about it at all. As long as it doesn't bother you or ruin your day, I wouldn't call it tinitus either. Still, not a argument to be reckless about ones hearing though. Stay vigilant.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-04-2013, 05:45 PM
I have tinnitus but it is largely caused by neurofibromatosis...in other words there are lots and LOTS of tumors -benign I suppose- that are all over in my body and some are on the auditory nerves.
A bad ear infection might have played a part in it but the tumor thing most certainly has had a HUGE impact on the tinnitus.

My ears ring every second of every day. 24/7, 365 days a year. No break..no relief.
And I never listened to loud music and stuff; I hate loud noises as it gives me headaches.
Often I hear at least two different tones of rings, sometimes a sound that sounds like cicadas, a droning sound in one ear that is sort of like a far off radio or tv going with low bass sounds.
Sometimes a very high pitched tone....on occasions a loud dull hum that seems to make my ears feel odd yet my hearing isn't affected. So yeah, it is bad I guess...I ignore it for the most part because I have no choice.
I do not want to rely on white noise to nullify it so I try to focus on something, anything and the sounds aren't so bad.

Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return.
To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.
That is Alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange.
17-04-2013, 06:00 PM
I play gigs often and can't really avoid loud noises. I'd rather take the risk and do what I love.

[Image: opforum1.png]
17-04-2013, 11:21 PM
Re: Tinitus, watch your ears people
Yeah I have pretty bad tinnitus. Had it most of my life. Can't stand when its silent and all I can her is the ringing. Ew.
20-04-2013, 10:28 PM
My ears are on the decline after years of blast beats and pounding metal in my car. I've slowly watched the max volume on my stereo ascend higher and higher since I was 17. (My max volume used to be 12. Now it's 26, going on 27) Ohmy

My right ear has taken the brunt of the assault, and I only really notice any hearing loss when I listen to music. Otherwise, I'm fine. As for "ringing" in an otherwise silent environment; I've always had that. I can't stand silence. The ringing reminds me that my environment is, for lack of a better word, dead. I have to sleep with a fan going.

And, if not a fan, then the Black Metal playlist on my iPod. Black Metal is the white-noisiest of all metal, after all. Laughat

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-10-2013, 03:56 PM
Thought I might check back in with this since it's been about 6 months since that rather uncomfortable experience of constant ringing. I've been tuning down the volume a lot when listening to music. I sometimes get the ringing, but it only lasts for about 3-4 seconds, and it's gone, better known as "temporary loss of hearing". It's a warning sign none the less, and that my ears are probably already damaged to some degree. Let's just hope it doesn't go any further.
20-10-2013, 04:34 PM
Tinitus, watch your ears people
(17-04-2013 06:00 PM)frankiej Wrote:  I play gigs often and can't really avoid loud noises. I'd rather take the risk and do what I love.

You can wear earplugs. You can buy ones that dont distort sound.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  The empty and not empty people Luminon 22 328 20-07-2014 02:06 PM
Last Post: Chas
Exclamation Counters to "RELIGIONS/SPIRITUALITY HELPS PEOPLE. DOESN'T MATTER IF IT'S NOT TRUE." PoolBoyG 7 108 08-05-2014 07:09 PM
Last Post: rampant.a.i.
  Hey Girly (and other People's Republic of Marylanders) Revenant77x 11 309 24-02-2014 11:58 AM
Last Post: WitchSabrina
  Other people's morals, not your morals. Adrianime 29 644 15-01-2014 02:38 PM
Last Post: Adrianime
  Why do people in extreme poverty reproduce? JesusLovesYou69 27 6,171 21-12-2013 08:53 AM
Last Post: Peterkin
  Homophobia and straight people BrokenQuill92 18 720 11-12-2013 10:18 PM
Last Post: WillHopp
  So I got paid to watch a movie today. GirlyMan 9 427 01-09-2013 07:31 AM
Last Post: GirlyMan