Tipping

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-03-2013, 04:08 PM
RE: Tipping
I thought that $2.13 was a bit crazy of a wage so I checked out Americas minimum wage. According to Wikipedia the Fair Labour Standards act states that $2.13 is the minimum wage for occupations that tip. If the tips do not make up the hourly rate to $7.25 that the employer has the responsibility to make up the difference.

$7.25 is the equivalent to £4.85 in the UK Shocking

For me personally I don't see why anybody should be expected to tip. To me that is like charity and I may as well be expected to tip homeless people. Yes homeless people don't serve me my dinner but I don't go somewhere to just give my money away. It could be considered "courtesy" but fuck tradition.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-03-2013, 04:24 PM
I think that the tipping thing is wrong. In many countries there is no moral obligation to tip (in some of them it's even considered rude) because the waiter is paid the right amount of money. I think it's also fairer because if one day few people goes to the restaurant in the first case the waiter would make less money due to the few tips, while in the other case he would receive the same (and fair) amount of money for his working day.

We walk by faith, not by sight. Angel
[+] 1 user Likes Kreuzfel's post
06-03-2013, 04:32 PM
Quote:For me personally I don't see why anybody should be expected
to tip. To me that is like charity and I may as well be expected to tip
homeless people. Yes homeless people don't serve me my dinner but I
don't go somewhere to just give my money away. It could be considered
"courtesy" but fuck tradition.
It's interesting to see the difference in culture between countries and what is commonly practiced Smile

So, would I look rude if I went to a restaurant where you live and I tried to tip a waiter??

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
06-03-2013, 04:44 PM
(06-03-2013 04:32 PM)Peanut Wrote:  It's interesting to see the difference in culture between countries and what is commonly practiced Smile

So, would I look rude if I went to a restaurant where you live and I tried to tip a waiter??
Not at all, it happens over here. When I was in a better off position financially I didn't used to like going round with pocketfulls of change so depending on what the bill used to come to I used to tell them to keep the change.

I myself am now paid just over minimum wage in my job, so I have to watch my money and going out for a meal is now a luxury. So I cant really afford to tip people.

Waiters and Waitresses make good money over here, just not from me Cool

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post
06-03-2013, 04:59 PM
(06-03-2013 04:44 PM)bemore Wrote:  
(06-03-2013 04:32 PM)Peanut Wrote:  It's interesting to see the difference in culture between countries and what is commonly practiced Smile

Not at all, it happens over here. When I was in a better off position financially I didn't used to like going round with pocketfulls of change so depending on what the bill used to come to I used to tell them to keep the change.

I myself am now paid just over minimum wage in my job, so I have to watch my money and going out for a meal is now a luxury. So I cant really afford to tip people.

Waiters and Waitresses make good money over here, just not from me Cool
Over here, it would be considered rude to leave "change" as a tip. (Coins such as quarters, dimes, and, GASP! pennies!)

I only leave full, even amounts.

Also, what is minimum wage over there? When I started my job five years ago, I started with the current minimum wage of $7.15 an hour. It took me THREE YEARS to get above $8.00!!!!!!!!!!!

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
[+] 1 user Likes Peanut's post
06-03-2013, 05:40 PM
(06-03-2013 04:59 PM)Peanut Wrote:  Over here, it would be considered rude to leave "change" as a tip. (Coins such as quarters, dimes, and, GASP! pennies!)

I only leave full, even amounts.

Also, what is minimum wage over there? When I started my job five years ago, I started with the current minimum wage of $7.15 an hour. It took me THREE YEARS to get above $8.00!!!!!!!!!!!
The minimum wage in the UK depends on how old you are. The current rates are..

Under 18 = £3.68
18 to 20 = £4.98
21 or over = £6.19

I get paid just under £7 an hour, after stoppages I earn around £900 a month. It is a liveable wage but only just. I live in a houseshare to cut down costs but if I rented my own property after all my bills (rent, council tax, water rates, electricity, gas and food) I would be left with nothing. So I would go to work just to exist.

When I say I used to leave change what I mean is if my bill came to £16 I would of paid with a £20 note and told them to keep the change. I cant afford to do that now as inflation over here has slowly been pushing up the prices of everything. 1 in 4 families in the UK live in "fuel poverty" which means that they have to decide between buying food, or paying for heating. Sad

So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
06-03-2013, 05:43 PM
(06-03-2013 04:08 PM)bemore Wrote:  It could be considered "courtesy" but fuck tradition.
See, when I read this from an American point of view, I interpret it as "Fuck waitresses," because that's what is happening. Yes, it is a cultural thing. I don't tip when I'm not in this country, but when I am here, I tip. It was my understanding that the thread was about tipping in the US, not the fact that you usually don't elsewhere.

I've never heard of a case of anyone I know getting reimbursed because people didn't tip, but I've certainly heard from waitresses that some people were assholes and also did not tip, despite supposedly getting good service. But that's how it works; in the US, one is expected to tip, because that makes the staff kiss your ass to get a tip, and then the restaurant makes money by not paying a fair wage but is still able to expect good work from the staff. It's all ass backward, but basically, I tip because I would feel like a dick if I did not.

This thread certainly does remind me why I've never been a waitress, though.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like amyb's post
06-03-2013, 05:52 PM
(06-03-2013 12:36 PM)amyb Wrote:  
(06-03-2013 12:29 PM)Likos02 Wrote:  See, this is the problem...the whole "if I'm not going to tip, I won't eat at a resturant"...Why???? Why has it become a requirement by most people's standards? In most cultures, it's rude to tip.

I think it's a fundamental problem with our resturant system to pay waiters at a level that they require tips to live.
Because in THIS culture, it's rude not to tip. When I'm overseas, I don't tip because they make a living wage in most places. They don't here. So I consider it part of the restaurant experience. I would feel like a huge asshole if I went into a restaurant and didn't tip.

It is a problem with restaurants, you're right, but I'm not going to make waiters starve. But yes, perhaps the way to fix it would be to boycott all restaurants, never fucking eat at a restaurant, because then they'd all go out of business. But since that won't happen, I see it as rude to expect a person to wait on me for $2 an hour.

Sure, you could NOT tip and think about it as protesting a system that fucks the employees, but by doing so, you'd be fucking the employees who may well be supporting a family with the tips they make there. Maybe they could get another job, but the economy is shit and many people take any job they can get, and I don't think they deserve to get fucked for doing so.

And yes, I won't go into a restaurant if I have the intention of not tipping. If I'm broke, I will either eat at home or I'll go to a fast food place where they at least pay the workers minimum wage to give me my food.
I find your lack of misanthropy unsettling. Consider

I'm going to consult the council about this. Drinking Beverage

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-03-2013, 06:47 PM (This post was last modified: 06-03-2013 06:53 PM by GirlyMan.)
(06-03-2013 11:38 AM)Peanut Wrote:  I understand some waiters and waitresses can be very lackluster, but I will ALWAYS give a tip.

20%. Even if you sucked. 'Cause probably the only reason you sucked was your tightwad boss ain't hired enough wait staff. ... Probably won't come back if you sucked, though.

ManlyGirl helped put Girly through University with tips, I sure as shit ain't gonna screw wait staff.

Only time I don't give 20% is when the restaurant tacks on an automatic 15-18% for parties over a certain size (typically 6-8). Then they get the 15-18% instead of 20%.

(06-03-2013 12:29 PM)Likos02 Wrote:  In most cultures, it's rude to tip.
(06-03-2013 04:24 PM)Kreuzfel Wrote:  In many countries there is no moral obligation to tip (in some of them it's even considered rude) because the waiter is paid the right amount of money.

Really? I did not know that. Good thing the ankle bracelet restricts my travel to a 10 mile radius around DC or I'd've embarrassed myself by now.

(06-03-2013 12:29 PM)Likos02 Wrote:  I think it's a fundamental problem with our resturant system to pay waiters at a level that they require tips to live.

Not sure it's a fundamental problem, it does encourage them to be pleasant and responsive, but it is a point worthy of consideration.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
06-03-2013, 07:00 PM
The minimum wage in the UK depends on how old you are. The current rates are..

Under 18 = £3.68
18 to 20 = £4.98
21 or over = £6.19

I don't know what those numbers mean! Smile

What are they in U.S. dollars???
Again, it's interesting to see a difference in culture. I get excited and interested just going downtown and seeing the sights. I went to the U.P. (Michigan's Upper Peninsula) a few years ago and got a culture shock when we went to a popular taco place. I asked the lady if they had ground beef tacos because I only saw chicken and steak options. She looked at me like I was crazy for even asking! (Apparently it costs too much to ship ground beef up there. Because, ya know, they can't raise some freakin cows in all that open land...)