Tips for massive weight loss?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-10-2016, 04:57 PM
Tips for massive weight loss?
Sooooo

I am fat. I haven't always been but during the past few years I have become really fat.
I have some lazy excuses and they shall not be stated because they are lazy excuses.
I started gaining weight back when I was... I think 25 or so.

Before that I was sporty, muscular, and overall had a good body. I was never very healthy but considering my state of health, I was doing well.
I did a lot of sports and also had a lot of time.
My BMI was about 26-28 so I've never been skinny but also never fat.

So let's get to today - 7 years later.
Now my BMI is in the obese range at 38 (!!), I am not doing a lot of sport anymore, and I don't have a lot of time anymore.

Activities:
I must say that cycling isn't helping anymore because I cannot cycle for a long time as I have problems with my tail bone. I haven't cycled in about 2 months because my bike broke. But I should have a new one by the end of the month.
I will keep cycling though because I like it. And as soon as my mr is earning his first few pay checks I can also finally sign up to the gym and maybe get some more activity in my day.

But here is the problem.
I have the normal things that very fat people have, I just can't do much and moving is hard because I wobble and my back will hurt.
My muscle mass has degenerated so I cannot rely on muscle anymore.
On top of that I have huge issues with my asthma which is getting worse every year now.

I really do like sports but I don't have the time I used to have anymore. Everything needs to be schedules perfectly to fit in the day. With my daily schedule I'd need about 2 more hours a day so I could fit the same amount of sports in the day.

Food:
When it comes to food, I can easily stop eating sweets (as in candy, chocolate bars, etc) but I do not want to drop the baked yummies. I like to have one baked thing for dessert every day. I usually choose healthy options for all my meals.
I do like snacking and switching to fruit is easy for me because I love fruit. The only time I have to give in to my sweets cravings are the first two days of having the period. I just feel like I need tons of sugar on those days and I don't deny them to myself because for whatever reason it actually helps.
So from the food side, I don't think there is an issue.

I tried some stupid diet regimes before (Dukan, Slimfast, 1000 calorie diet) and all of them worked but none of them are really for me. I lost 12 kilo here and 15 there but always gained them back because I just hate to eat with such weird, superficial rules.

Help me?
So I need some ideas on how to start losing weight because dropping the sweets won't do it alone. Not at my weight.
Is there anybody here with experience who can point me towards stuff that I can maybe do at the gym (once I signed up) that my currently very fat body will be able to do? I have no problem with a hard work out, I am happy to work on it. But there are things that are physically not possible right now.
For example I wanted to start doing push ups again. But apart from the fact that I just have no fucking bizeps and trizeps anymore, also my belly is too fat to let me actually do a proper push up. It's ridiculous for me to even try that.

My goal is to build up very good upper body strength because I have been zip lining twice this year and had to skip the difficult routes because a lot of upper body strength was needed for it. So next summer I want to be fit to do those.

BTW:
I cannot, ever, believe people who are as fat as I am or fatter, who say they are happy with their weight. When every-day things like finding clothes in a normal store or using the toilet become a challenge, when your joints suffer and walking for 5 minutes makes your back hurt as well as breath like a rhinozeros ... When this stuff is in your life because you are fat, you cannot tell me that you are happy with your weight and your body. And this is not "fat-shaming", this is just objective truth.

So yea, anyway, anybody who has some good ideas, some experience with massive weight loss, please feel free to share your ideas for work outs that I can do with my big body to start working towards that six-pack Wink

Cheers

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-10-2016, 05:08 PM
RE: Tips for massive weight loss?
Don't eat for like... a week.

Okay, I admit that I am bad at this game. Confused
02-10-2016, 05:21 PM
For the first few weeks, decrease your daily intake by 500 calories. One pound = 3500 calories. Much of fat loss is found in diet, and exercise while it can help, it won't compensate for too many calories or a bad diet. So start slow, and start with decreasing 500 calories per day. You should keep a journal as to what you're actually consuming on a daily basis, as that will be easier to calculate.

Then, walk one mile 5 days per week. Just a regular pace, nothing too exerting. Over 90 days, you will see your clothes fitting better and the fat loss coming. Once you commit to those small changes over 90 days, then you can take it up a notch and become more active, join a gym, etc. Make a commitment to doing this, it takes a commitment to having good health and getting/staying fit. Cool

Be true to yourself. Heart
02-10-2016, 05:45 PM
(02-10-2016 05:21 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  For the first few weeks, decrease your daily intake by 500 calories. One pound = 3500 calories. Much of fat loss is found in diet, and exercise while it can help, it won't compensate for too many calories or a bad diet. So start slow, and start with decreasing 500 calories per day. You should keep a journal as to what you're actually consuming on a daily basis, as that will be easier to calculate.

Then, walk one mile 5 days per week. Just a regular pace, nothing too exerting. Over 90 days, you will see your clothes fitting better and the fat loss coming. Once you commit to those small changes over 90 days, then you can take it up a notch and become more active, join a gym, etc. Make a commitment to doing this, it takes a commitment to having good health and getting/staying fit. Cool

I know you mean well with the calories and I understand very well what you are saying. And here comes the "but"
I have been through that. I did the journal, I even have an app on my phone, where I can put all foods in and get not only the calories I age but also the nutritional value. I just won't start counting calories ever again. It puts way too much focus on food. Speaking from experience, it keeps my mind on food all day because all day I have to obsess over "what if i am hungry now and I only have x calories left" and those numbers keep grinding and grinding. With every hour, I obsess a little more. So while I am very able to count calories, and even still know most by heart, I really don't want to get to that obsessive place again. As I mentioned above, I do have a healthy diet apart from the sweets. And I am dropping the sweets from now. (Kinda had to kick myself in the ass because I really love sweet things) Dropping the sweets will probably mount up to way more than 500 calories anyway haha.

About the walking. I have a thing on my phone that counts my steps and active minutes. For the moment I do 6000 steps a day. To get to those I take the stairs instead of the lift because I am at the office all day so it is hard to walk much when I have to work. Walk to the bus and stuff does most of those steps and sometimes I am short a few steps. On weekends I walk a lot because I want to go to the city and I will usually walk instead of taking the bus.
But that is where the back pains come in for me. Saturday we were in the city. We walked home and the walk from where we were to home would usually be about 40 minutes or so. It took about 2 hours because my back was acting up and I needed so many breaks. Very frustrating. Last year I was walking that and longer distances just fine.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
02-10-2016, 05:59 PM
Buy bunches of FRESH veggies and fruit. Make them 3/4 of your daily food intake.

Drink a tall glass of water before every meal.

Snacks should be all fruit and veggies. Try dipping veggies in plain yoghurt - if you don't like it plain, spice it up any way you like.

Avoid sugar like the plague - if you crave it, eat fruit. This includes sugar in condiments and processed foods. Sugar is your worst enemy and removing it will improve your health the most.

With asthma, cardio is most of the time a no-no. Lift weights and do all the stretching and bending etc. exercises you can find.

If you stick with the above, you will come to like it. It gives you lots of things to play with - just stick with FRESH and avoid processed.

Stay away from all sugar free, low fat, fat free etc. labelled stuff.

And stay away from soda, it's the worst.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
02-10-2016, 06:21 PM (This post was last modified: 02-10-2016 08:44 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(02-10-2016 04:57 PM)Leela Wrote:  Sooooo

I am fat. I haven't always been but during the past few years I have become really fat.
I have some lazy excuses and they shall not be stated because they are lazy excuses.
I started gaining weight back when I was... I think 25 or so.

Before that I was sporty, muscular, and overall had a good body. I was never very healthy but considering my state of health, I was doing well.
I did a lot of sports and also had a lot of time.
My BMI was about 26-28 so I've never been skinny but also never fat.

So let's get to today - 7 years later.
Now my BMI is in the obese range at 38 (!!), I am not doing a lot of sport anymore, and I don't have a lot of time anymore.

Activities:
I must say that cycling isn't helping anymore because I cannot cycle for a long time as I have problems with my tail bone. I haven't cycled in about 2 months because my bike broke. But I should have a new one by the end of the month.
I will keep cycling though because I like it. And as soon as my mr is earning his first few pay checks I can also finally sign up to the gym and maybe get some more activity in my day.

But here is the problem.
I have the normal things that very fat people have, I just can't do much and moving is hard because I wobble and my back will hurt.
My muscle mass has degenerated so I cannot rely on muscle anymore.
On top of that I have huge issues with my asthma which is getting worse every year now.

I really do like sports but I don't have the time I used to have anymore. Everything needs to be schedules perfectly to fit in the day. With my daily schedule I'd need about 2 more hours a day so I could fit the same amount of sports in the day.

Food:
When it comes to food, I can easily stop eating sweets (as in candy, chocolate bars, etc) but I do not want to drop the baked yummies. I like to have one baked thing for dessert every day. I usually choose healthy options for all my meals.
I do like snacking and switching to fruit is easy for me because I love fruit. The only time I have to give in to my sweets cravings are the first two days of having the period. I just feel like I need tons of sugar on those days and I don't deny them to myself because for whatever reason it actually helps.
So from the food side, I don't think there is an issue.

I tried some stupid diet regimes before (Dukan, Slimfast, 1000 calorie diet) and all of them worked but none of them are really for me. I lost 12 kilo here and 15 there but always gained them back because I just hate to eat with such weird, superficial rules.

Help me?
So I need some ideas on how to start losing weight because dropping the sweets won't do it alone. Not at my weight.
Is there anybody here with experience who can point me towards stuff that I can maybe do at the gym (once I signed up) that my currently very fat body will be able to do? I have no problem with a hard work out, I am happy to work on it. But there are things that are physically not possible right now.
For example I wanted to start doing push ups again. But apart from the fact that I just have no fucking bizeps and trizeps anymore, also my belly is too fat to let me actually do a proper push up. It's ridiculous for me to even try that.

My goal is to build up very good upper body strength because I have been zip lining twice this year and had to skip the difficult routes because a lot of upper body strength was needed for it. So next summer I want to be fit to do those.

BTW:
I cannot, ever, believe people who are as fat as I am or fatter, who say they are happy with their weight. When every-day things like finding clothes in a normal store or using the toilet become a challenge, when your joints suffer and walking for 5 minutes makes your back hurt as well as breath like a rhinozeros ... When this stuff is in your life because you are fat, you cannot tell me that you are happy with your weight and your body. And this is not "fat-shaming", this is just objective truth.

So yea, anyway, anybody who has some good ideas, some experience with massive weight loss, please feel free to share your ideas for work outs that I can do with my big body to start working towards that six-pack Wink

Cheers

My friend Helen said that when she realized just because she wanted to put something in her mouth, it didn't mean she had to.... she lost the weight she wanted. It's never about losing weight. It's always about adopting a healthy life-style. Walk. Walk one more block every other day. You will lose 20 pounds fast. Go from there.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
02-10-2016, 06:24 PM
If my memory serves me right, your in the UK leela?

Join slimming world. Its not just another faddy diet thing. Its a way of life that teaches you about healthy eating and what is good and bad for your body.

Its about how you cook your food in the healthiest way possible. Its about choosing the right foods as opposed to the bad.

The bad foods, their called syns (sins) and you are allowed a certain amount per day.

My sister, her husband and a lot of my friends have lost loads of weight through slimming world, you should defo check it out.

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
02-10-2016, 06:50 PM
If you can commit to a few small changes, you'll eventually get big results.

Even if you're eating fairly healthy, your portion sizes could still be too big. Try to cut your portions of everything but veggies by up to a third, and double your vegetables. That would also include cutting whatever baked treat you allow yourself--maybe cut that in half.

Think about times of the day when you normally sit where you could stand instead and other small ways to increase your calorie burn.

At the gym, use the weight machines or free weights to do strength training to increase your muscle mass until you have dropped enough weight to be able to do things like pushups with the correct form.

Once you've decided on the changes, try to relax and think about the things that interest you rather than obsessing about your daily calorie count. Give it a couple of months, then assess how you feel and how your clothes fit.

Best of luck to you!
02-10-2016, 06:52 PM
I am lucky genetically when it comes to weight. But when I did have some weight to lose some years ago it came down to portion control. Nothing that I measured or obsessed over...just no second helpings because when I did get seconds it was almost always the most fattening thing on the menu. It didn't take long before eating smaller portions became a habit.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
02-10-2016, 08:01 PM (This post was last modified: 02-10-2016 08:05 PM by Gloucester.)
I lost 12kg, 75kg to 63kg, in less than 3 months last year, basically due to a medical condition that made dumping a very painful thing. I wanted to reduce the bulk and actually cause a mild constipation.

I reduced the obvious carbs to practically zero and upped the animal proteins, ham, bacon, chicken, small amounts of cheese etc, but kept fruit and veg to my normal levels. Swapped from sugar in drinks to sucralose and only "no added sugar" juices or sugar free sodas.

But, back then, the discomfort gave me an incentive and crashed my appetite. Over a year later I am having to be quite disciplined to keep under 65kg, that puts me only just under the overweight bracket for my height. Smallish main meals and then I snack on celery, cucumber, cherry tomatos, small raw carrots, walnuts and pieces of cheese of about 20 to 25 grams. Mostly chicken, turkey and white fish because of my gout. Bacon, ham, other red meats and oily fish are treats, one of once a week.

NO baked goodies, chocolate flavoured rice cakes nearest to those. Fat free yoghurt and fresh fruit, mixed or separate, if I need a "sweet".

Serious heart condition and low level diabetes are other factors for me.

There ain't no easy fix, mate, find a diet that works and then lots of discipline Dip under target then increase intake until the target weight is reached, then reduce just a little until weight steady.

Then it's discipline all the way until it becomes a natural habit (hopefully).

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.