Tips for massive weight loss?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-10-2016, 05:43 AM
RE: Tips for massive weight loss?
I lost 140 lbs of ugly fat in one day........

But, unfortunately, she came back.....

Wink

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
03-10-2016, 08:05 AM
Biggest thing for me was cutting out all excess sugar.
[+] 1 user Likes ohio_drg's post
03-10-2016, 08:15 AM
I was curious about where I have fit in over the years. In college, I was skin and bones at 6’3” and 140lbs (BMI 17.5) with 30/34 pant size (waist smaller than inseam, Jesus!). My high was 260lbs (BMI 32.5) when I was ready to go from 44 to 46 waist. That is when I said enough. A BMI of 38 would put me at 305lbs. My brother-in-law was probably 50lbs above that when his heart gave out at the age of 58. I am now at 170lbs (BMI 21.2).

Years ago, I read of some who deleted sugar, flour and vegetable oils from their diet. And an M.D. who no longer posts about nutrition stated that tree candy (I love that description of fruit) served no nutritional purpose. Any fiber can be easily obtained from vegetables.

If my wife was an addict like me (I stopped alcohol in 1987, smoking in 1991 and sugar in 2009), there would be no sugar or flour in the house.

Even though I strongly disagree with the fear mongering about wheat, I would still take a look at William Davis’ Wheat Belly Blog. Many people have not only lost weight, but have eliminated many health problems. I would also take a look at Tom Naughton’s Fat Head Blog.

If you were taken in by the U.S. Government’s fear mongering about saturated animal fat (post World War II “science” at its best), it might take awhile to get used to eating butter, coconut oil, chicken skin, whole milk and so on. When I feel like munching, I go to natural almonds.

The toughest part is not letting the instantaneous reward of a custard filled chocolate donut trump the knowledge that a binge will follow. My binges have gone from one day to 24, and they are not pretty.
03-10-2016, 08:17 AM
My BMI was 39 (280 lbs @ 5'11") now down to 30 (215 @ 5'11"). I'm good at 215. BMI don't account for muscle mass.

At 39 the only exercise I could really do was walk. So go for a walk.

Dietary wise I eliminated all high glycemic index foods. If you need baked goods eat small portions and bake with Splenda instead of sugar. The pastry ain't so good for weight but if it keeps you on diet the rest of the day and it's a small portion shouldn't hurt too bad.

btw, my sweet tooth disappeared in a week or so after stopping sweets.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
03-10-2016, 12:02 PM
Ive had success with alternate day fasting. That is the program where every other day you limit your calorie intake to 500-600 calories (fasting days). On non fasting days you can eat normally. Positives 1) I am not hungry everyday, 2) almost every morning after a fasting day I notice I weigh less so this helps with motivation, 3) while it is not easy going on such a dramatic calorie cut, I know the hunger goes away when I go to bed and I don't wake up hungry. Negatives: 1) well, it is hard on some days to go on just 600 calories a day especially if you use food for comfort, 2) up here in the frozen tundra, I tend to get cold on fasting days.
03-10-2016, 12:14 PM
Thanks everybody for all the answers and information!! I didn't think I'd get a lot of support on this but you have proven me wrong.
Some that I would like to address (and I am too lazy to do the quoting thing):

@ Bemore: I heard of that yes. But I am in Ireland and also I don't like such programmes as I tried this kind of thing and it won't work with me. If I get to "cheat" by counting points / calories or whatever and be like "well one is ok" then it won't stay one and I will make my diet only the bad stuff because I always have this feeling in the back of my head that if I stop now I can never have it again which makes the urge to have more of it even bigger. So I don't even start with this type of dieting any more. I guess it works for some people and that is great, it is just not for me.

@Glouster: Yea I lose those 12-15 kilo easily too. But keeping them down and keep losing more weight after that hurdle is very hard because the body starts adjusting to that new life style. The body thinks it is starving and starts preserving energy more efficiently and that is why it becomes very hard to keep losing at that point and that is why many people hit a weight plataeu. When I hit that moment of weightloss in the past, I got frustrated and stopped because the effort I had to put in for tiny tiny successes wasn't worth it anymore. In the end I would lose maybe 100 gram a week by putting enormous effort in. See how that gets frustrating?

@ Walter: Very good points. Though I buy into no fear mongering. Neither the US type nor any other about milk, wheat, sugars, meat types, white rice, etc... Too much of everything can be bad. I am not really cutting off anything from my diet but there is stuff that just turned out to not be needed in my household much. My last pack of sugar held for about 6 months and was used only in cakes (which i baked for work and for friends). It ran out probably half a year ago and I haven't bought any since. The same goes for animal milk. I don't like animal milk (taste and feeling after consumption) and I don't need for any "nutritional value" in milk as I know that everything that is in milk, I can get it from other foods. And as you mentioned flour. I actually still have some flour. Basically because people tend to ask me when they need a cake, so I always have some flour at home just in case. But I rarely ever bake for myself.

@ GirlyMan: Actually I rarely bake. I get 3 free meals as well as snacks and drinks at work. I take what they offer and they have tons of healthy options, even in deserts. Today my desert was a tiny cube of vegan chocolate brownie. It really helped my sweet tooth and was for sure better than a chocolate bar. But wow, huge respect for your weight loss success. Are you able to hold your weight just fine at this point or does it need a lot of effort? How long did it take you? My goal is to get to normal weight by next summer so I can go zip lining again and have more fun. My sweet tooth never disappears. I did Dukan for half a year, a while back, and even with that diet, I found ways to satisfy my sweet tooth without cheating the diet.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
03-10-2016, 12:51 PM
Laxatives....... Nooo that would be an awful idea just my mad sense of humour. Sensible diet no fad ones exercise and time and willpower its hard but if you want it enough you will do it, you can do it, go go Leela ! Just don't go too far the other way I've heard of that happening and tbh its tragic.
06-10-2016, 10:13 AM
I think you just have to find what works best for you (with your Tracker post it sounds like you are doing that Smile ) I totally agree with you about counting calories and that causing obsessing about food all day long. I don't count any calories--ever. I try to only eat when I'm hungry and stop when I'm full. I find filling my plate with a small portion first and letting myself know it's okay to go back for seconds *if* I'm still hungry really helps me stop overeating because rarely do I end up wanting more. I also think making a list of all of the foods you like to eat and going through and seeing if you can make any healthy/-ier alternatives really helps as well. Finding an activity you enjoy doing also helps burn the extra calories and because you enjoy doing it, it doesn't really feel like working out. I try to fit in workouts where I can, for instance I'll do push ups during commercial breaks if I'm watching tv--or even just get up and walk around my house. Good luck with everything, sounds like you are on the right track!
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
06-10-2016, 10:28 AM
(03-10-2016 12:14 PM)Leela Wrote:  @Glouster: Yea I lose those 12-15 kilo easily too. But keeping them down and keep losing more weight after that hurdle is very hard because the body starts adjusting to that new life style. The body thinks it is starving and starts preserving energy more efficiently and that is why it becomes very hard to keep losing at that point and that is why many people hit a weight plataeu. When I hit that moment of weightloss in the past, I got frustrated and stopped because the effort I had to put in for tiny tiny successes wasn't worth it anymore. In the end I would lose maybe 100 gram a week by putting enormous effort in. See how that gets frustrating?

When you hit a plateau, you have to let yourself gain a few pounds back! Then you can lose again. Making the diet stricter just causes the body to want to retain even more reserves... Sometimes it also helps to go either low cal or low carb for a week to jump start it.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
06-10-2016, 01:07 PM
(02-10-2016 04:57 PM)Leela Wrote:  So yea, anyway, anybody who has some good ideas, some experience with massive weight loss, please feel free to share your ideas for work outs that I can do with my big body to start working towards that six-pack Wink

Cheers
1. sustainability
2. it's a marathon not a sprint
3. depravity won't work

You need to pick up some life long habits. Like going for a daily jog, or swimming or taking up a sport.
For me I (I've been overweight but not obese, so have limited experience here) found that simply signing up for a half marathon gave me goals, like betting a particular time, it also forced me to train for several months (hence creating a habit). My diet changed because it was a way to achieve my half marathon goal, my focus was on the running not the weight loss, but the weight loss came with it.

Cut down on sugars, no fizzy drinks, get in the habit of drinking water or tea. It takes a while and a bit of effort to change habits, so persevere.

You don't have to have desert everyday. But if you are cutting back on dessert then rather than feel depraved replace it with something special, perhaps once a week have an expensive dessert that you would otherwise deem too extravagant. Instead of chocolates every day, have expensive chocolates once a week.

Probably cut out on nuts.

Have brown rice, or quinoa or other lower gi foods rather than bread, white rice, pasta, etc.

Create a lifestyle that you can enjoy. Don't feel like you are depraving yourself.