Tips for massive weight loss?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-10-2016, 01:43 AM
RE: Tips for massive weight loss?
I've dealt with weight issues all my life, but it wasn't until I was 18 yrs old that I tried to do something about it. I can't tell you how much time and money I wish I had NOT wasted on so-called "magic bullets' for rapid weight loss. The truth is the solution to my problem was there all along, I just didn't want to accept it and it's called "lifestyle changes."

First of all, you must give up the illusion of "fast" or "easy" weightloss. These solutions are almost always either ineffective or end up backfiring in the long run.

For example, fad diets may appear to make you lose weight fast, but most of these diets completely cut off essential nutrients your body needs to maintain muscle mass. The number on that scale will be lower, but that is likely to come out of your muscles rather than fat reserves, and your metabolism will slow down as a result. Once you restart your old eating habits, you're at risk of putting on all of the weight you lost AND MORE.

The best and healthiest way to lose weight and keep it off is to change your lifestyle, implementing small changes that you can turn into habits that then accumulate into a new lifestyle. For instance, I started with cutting off sugar drinks completely, and only drinking water with every meal. Then, I started going out on walks for 1hr a day. You implement these small changes on what you eat and how you exercise, and then grow from there. The trick is to start small, because that way your brain won't freak out, but you have to make sure to grow from there. Don't get stuck.

You also have to educate yourself as much as you can about nutrition and how your metabolism works. There are a LOT of misconceptions and misinformation out there about how you actually lose weight, and the weightloss industry benefits from this greatly. Arm yourself with credible, scientifically vetted information about metabolism and nutrition. It is easier to understand than it seems.

A lifestyle change is a slower method, but it will save you time and money on other shortcut solutions that could end up leading you farther away from your goals.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-10-2016, 01:29 PM
(02-10-2016 04:57 PM)Leela Wrote:  Sooooo

I am fat. I haven't always been but during the past few years I have become really fat.
I have some lazy excuses and they shall not be stated because they are lazy excuses.
I started gaining weight back when I was... I think 25 or so.

Before that I was sporty, muscular, and overall had a good body. I was never very healthy but considering my state of health, I was doing well.
I did a lot of sports and also had a lot of time.
My BMI was about 26-28 so I've never been skinny but also never fat.

So let's get to today - 7 years later.
Now my BMI is in the obese range at 38 (!!), I am not doing a lot of sport anymore, and I don't have a lot of time anymore.

Activities:
I must say that cycling isn't helping anymore because I cannot cycle for a long time as I have problems with my tail bone. I haven't cycled in about 2 months because my bike broke. But I should have a new one by the end of the month.
I will keep cycling though because I like it. And as soon as my mr is earning his first few pay checks I can also finally sign up to the gym and maybe get some more activity in my day.

But here is the problem.
I have the normal things that very fat people have, I just can't do much and moving is hard because I wobble and my back will hurt.
My muscle mass has degenerated so I cannot rely on muscle anymore.
On top of that I have huge issues with my asthma which is getting worse every year now.

I really do like sports but I don't have the time I used to have anymore. Everything needs to be schedules perfectly to fit in the day. With my daily schedule I'd need about 2 more hours a day so I could fit the same amount of sports in the day.

Food:
When it comes to food, I can easily stop eating sweets (as in candy, chocolate bars, etc) but I do not want to drop the baked yummies. I like to have one baked thing for dessert every day. I usually choose healthy options for all my meals.
I do like snacking and switching to fruit is easy for me because I love fruit. The only time I have to give in to my sweets cravings are the first two days of having the period. I just feel like I need tons of sugar on those days and I don't deny them to myself because for whatever reason it actually helps.
So from the food side, I don't think there is an issue.

I tried some stupid diet regimes before (Dukan, Slimfast, 1000 calorie diet) and all of them worked but none of them are really for me. I lost 12 kilo here and 15 there but always gained them back because I just hate to eat with such weird, superficial rules.

Help me?
So I need some ideas on how to start losing weight because dropping the sweets won't do it alone. Not at my weight.
Is there anybody here with experience who can point me towards stuff that I can maybe do at the gym (once I signed up) that my currently very fat body will be able to do? I have no problem with a hard work out, I am happy to work on it. But there are things that are physically not possible right now.
For example I wanted to start doing push ups again. But apart from the fact that I just have no fucking bizeps and trizeps anymore, also my belly is too fat to let me actually do a proper push up. It's ridiculous for me to even try that.

My goal is to build up very good upper body strength because I have been zip lining twice this year and had to skip the difficult routes because a lot of upper body strength was needed for it. So next summer I want to be fit to do those.

BTW:
I cannot, ever, believe people who are as fat as I am or fatter, who say they are happy with their weight. When every-day things like finding clothes in a normal store or using the toilet become a challenge, when your joints suffer and walking for 5 minutes makes your back hurt as well as breath like a rhinozeros ... When this stuff is in your life because you are fat, you cannot tell me that you are happy with your weight and your body. And this is not "fat-shaming", this is just objective truth.

So yea, anyway, anybody who has some good ideas, some experience with massive weight loss, please feel free to share your ideas for work outs that I can do with my big body to start working towards that six-pack Wink

Cheers

Have you thought about a recumbent bike? I have two and they are a blast to ride and are easy on the backside. Cyclings been the best thing I've found to lose weight except for cross country skiing. You can burn over a thousand calories an hour doing either.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
28-10-2016, 05:58 PM
(28-10-2016 01:29 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  
(02-10-2016 04:57 PM)Leela Wrote:  Sooooo

I am fat. I haven't always been but during the past few years I have become really fat.
I have some lazy excuses and they shall not be stated because they are lazy excuses.
I started gaining weight back when I was... I think 25 or so.

Before that I was sporty, muscular, and overall had a good body. I was never very healthy but considering my state of health, I was doing well.
I did a lot of sports and also had a lot of time.
My BMI was about 26-28 so I've never been skinny but also never fat.

So let's get to today - 7 years later.
Now my BMI is in the obese range at 38 (!!), I am not doing a lot of sport anymore, and I don't have a lot of time anymore.

Activities:
I must say that cycling isn't helping anymore because I cannot cycle for a long time as I have problems with my tail bone. I haven't cycled in about 2 months because my bike broke. But I should have a new one by the end of the month.
I will keep cycling though because I like it. And as soon as my mr is earning his first few pay checks I can also finally sign up to the gym and maybe get some more activity in my day.

But here is the problem.
I have the normal things that very fat people have, I just can't do much and moving is hard because I wobble and my back will hurt.
My muscle mass has degenerated so I cannot rely on muscle anymore.
On top of that I have huge issues with my asthma which is getting worse every year now.

I really do like sports but I don't have the time I used to have anymore. Everything needs to be schedules perfectly to fit in the day. With my daily schedule I'd need about 2 more hours a day so I could fit the same amount of sports in the day.

Food:
When it comes to food, I can easily stop eating sweets (as in candy, chocolate bars, etc) but I do not want to drop the baked yummies. I like to have one baked thing for dessert every day. I usually choose healthy options for all my meals.
I do like snacking and switching to fruit is easy for me because I love fruit. The only time I have to give in to my sweets cravings are the first two days of having the period. I just feel like I need tons of sugar on those days and I don't deny them to myself because for whatever reason it actually helps.
So from the food side, I don't think there is an issue.

I tried some stupid diet regimes before (Dukan, Slimfast, 1000 calorie diet) and all of them worked but none of them are really for me. I lost 12 kilo here and 15 there but always gained them back because I just hate to eat with such weird, superficial rules.

Help me?
So I need some ideas on how to start losing weight because dropping the sweets won't do it alone. Not at my weight.
Is there anybody here with experience who can point me towards stuff that I can maybe do at the gym (once I signed up) that my currently very fat body will be able to do? I have no problem with a hard work out, I am happy to work on it. But there are things that are physically not possible right now.
For example I wanted to start doing push ups again. But apart from the fact that I just have no fucking bizeps and trizeps anymore, also my belly is too fat to let me actually do a proper push up. It's ridiculous for me to even try that.

My goal is to build up very good upper body strength because I have been zip lining twice this year and had to skip the difficult routes because a lot of upper body strength was needed for it. So next summer I want to be fit to do those.

BTW:
I cannot, ever, believe people who are as fat as I am or fatter, who say they are happy with their weight. When every-day things like finding clothes in a normal store or using the toilet become a challenge, when your joints suffer and walking for 5 minutes makes your back hurt as well as breath like a rhinozeros ... When this stuff is in your life because you are fat, you cannot tell me that you are happy with your weight and your body. And this is not "fat-shaming", this is just objective truth.

So yea, anyway, anybody who has some good ideas, some experience with massive weight loss, please feel free to share your ideas for work outs that I can do with my big body to start working towards that six-pack Wink

Cheers

Have you thought about a recumbent bike? I have two and they are a blast to ride and are easy on the backside. Cyclings been the best thing I've found to lose weight except for cross country skiing. You can burn over a thousand calories an hour doing either.

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...ead?page=2
Post #16 Wink

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
28-10-2016, 06:14 PM
Portion control. A few years ago I lost 45 lbs. in less than a year. It freaked my doctor out when I went in for my annual checkup. He just knew I had cancer or something because most people just don't lose that much weight that quickly. But I wasn't sick. I had just started eating smaller portion sizes. It didn't hurt that I'd spent 10 weeks sweating my ass off outside in the sun for 8 hours a day during an Alabama summer, but I'd started losing weight before that and continued after so that wasn't all of it. Mostly it was just because I was eating less.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
28-10-2016, 08:39 PM (This post was last modified: 28-10-2016 08:43 PM by Astreja.)
I used to be extremely active, lifting weights 3-4 times a week and taking martial arts classes up to 7 days a week. Back in December '93 I weighed 135 pounds; in '97, when I started working in IT and studying for certification exams I was in the mid-150s; and due to work and divorce-related stress went past 200 in early 2000 and smacked into the wall at 255-260 a couple of years later.

Weight is now down to about 200 again, and last year when I did a low-carb diet for a couple of months managed to get down to about 180 before creeping up again.

Unfortunately I like carbs. A lot. Lifetime keto diet is *not* on the agenda. However, a few things have changed recently that are causing the weight to go in the desired direction again:
  • Soft drink consumption (diet drinks included!) is almost nil. I had one bottle of ginger beer this week, rather than a diet cola or two every day. Mostly I drink coffee (black or with cream), tea with milk, or water -- usually just tap water, not the bottled stuff.
  • Dramatic drop in fast food consumption. I started keeping a budget, recording every receipt, and was totally appalled by how much I was spending monthly on junk food and fast food. I still indulge, but probably only half as much.
  • We're not buying very many commercially-made baked goods any more. (The stuff My daughter and I bake tastes much better, anyway, and you can get a really good upper arm workout kneading bread dough.)
  • Actually trying to exercise now and then, going to a local recreation centre to swim and do some weights. I also have been doing a lot of yard work lately to get ready for winter. Still could use a *bit* more scheduled exercise, but am getting better at keeping moving.
One resource I can recommend, which helped Me get from 225 to the recent 180, is a site called Nerd Fitness. Essentially it's an online support group that uses D&D-style role playing as an incentive to exercise, diet, or otherwise improve your life.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-10-2016, 10:27 PM
My wife was 245 @ 5'1".
We stopped eating wheat. Her often twice weekly migraines disappeared. Her joints stopped aching. She shed 30 lbs in the first month due to water loss. Her body was that inflamed. The weight loss was more gradually after that. Low carb diet.
I get really pissed that the sugar industry played everyone by bribing Harvard doctors to poopoo fat and promote sugar.

I was diagnosed as border line diabetic and my triglycerides scared the doctor. We stopped eating / using sugar. I lost 20 lbs in a month 198-178 @ 6'1". Blood sugar normal and triglycerides are normal. Doctor's reaction: Did we put you on medication?

I find it very hard not to eat sweet things. Sugar is more addictive than cocaine.
[+] 2 users Like RogueWarrior's post
28-10-2016, 10:33 PM
(28-10-2016 10:27 PM)RogueWarrior Wrote:  My wife was 245 @ 5'1".
We stopped eating wheat. Her often twice weekly migraines disappeared. Her joints stopped aching. She shed 30 lbs in the first month due to water loss. Her body was that inflamed. The weight loss was more gradually after that. Low carb diet.
I get really pissed that the sugar industry played everyone by bribing Harvard doctors to poopoo fat and promote sugar.

I was diagnosed as border line diabetic and my triglycerides scared the doctor. We stopped eating / using sugar. I lost 20 lbs in a month 198-178 @ 6'1". Blood sugar normal and triglycerides are normal. Doctor's reaction: Did we put you on medication?

I find it very hard not to eat sweet things. Sugar is more addictive than cocaine.

Are you guys eating fruit? If so, I have a really good wheat free muffin recipe that has no sugar. My boyfriend, who is very picky about things like that, loves them.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
29-10-2016, 08:55 AM
(28-10-2016 05:58 PM)Leela Wrote:  
(28-10-2016 01:29 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  Have you thought about a recumbent bike? I have two and they are a blast to ride and are easy on the backside. Cyclings been the best thing I've found to lose weight except for cross country skiing. You can burn over a thousand calories an hour doing either.

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...ead?page=2
Post #16 Wink

That looks like a touring bike. I'm talking obout a recumbent. It has a wide cushioned seat like a chair and a wide adjustable back. You it upright with your legs straight out in front. They will be so much better for your tailbone.

I know what you mean about pain keeping you from exercising. I have trouble with my feat. I've been riding a lot this year, as much as possible. I'm in the best shape I've been in years, though I still have a lot of weight to lose.

The great thing about riding is you get to eat more. When I go on a long ride, I eat whatever I want. I find that if I eat during the ride then I don't get so ravenous when I'm done and want to eat everything in sight.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
29-10-2016, 09:02 AM
I was super duper fit a couple of years ago (running races, doing tabata/HIIT workouts every day, etc.), then developed all kinds of muscle issues and the weight crept on. So, I turned to technology. I LOVEEEEEE the Fitness Pal app. It's super easy and makes you accountable for everything you eat. It's basically a calorie tracker, but you can see how much fat/sugar/protein you eat every day. Many foods are already in their database, so you don't have to do much work.

And you can also enter calories burned if you are inclined to exercise. Walking won't burn 800 calories in 30 minutes, but it is low-impact and good for you.

try the Fitness Pal app though. It's awesome.
29-10-2016, 09:09 AM
My wife and I play Pokemon GO. We go to parks, and landmarks around out town. Since we're playing it's easy to forget we've been walking for about 2 hours. I've lost 5lb doing so.

She join Jenny Kreg, that works for her. I never really like paying for something i'm sure I could figure out on my own.

I weight 215 now. 6 years ago I was 170. I always had a high metabolism. Until I hit 30 then my body was just like "FUCK IT!".

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin