Tips for massive weight loss?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-10-2016, 03:16 PM
RE: Tips for massive weight loss?
truescottsman: Ah I see what you mean. Well I just bought this bike and I really love riding it Smile I feel better about myself now that I ride my bike in the morning and walk in the evening. Also skipping elevators whenever I can and time permits. My office building is huge and sometimes I just have to take the elevator if I have to get somewhere fast.

ShadowProject: I have had similar apps and tried them. I understand the concept but after a week or so I get annoyed at tracking every bite inside an app. I can count calories without an app but I am choosing not to do that anymore. I simply watch my portion size and stopped eating sweets.

Commonsensei: I used to play ingress (pokemon Go maps are based on ingress maps) and I used to like it a lot. But at this point I am bored of it because I have achieved everything in my area and by now only turn the game on when I go somewhere out of town. But you body being like "Fuck it" I know that one. I used to have a good trained body, then I stopped exersizing, and now that I start again I am older and the exersize is harder and does less so yea... Will see what happens.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-10-2016, 03:41 PM
I'm glad you posted, I'm in the same boat.

The only people I have known to drop weight and actually keep it off all did Weight Watchers.

I'm like Oprah "I LOVE BREAD" I could happily.....happily...live on bread & water.

I need to do something, I will be looking back thru this thread often.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
29-10-2016, 04:11 PM
(02-10-2016 04:57 PM)Leela Wrote:  Sooooo

I am fat. I haven't always been but during the past few years I have become really fat.
I have some lazy excuses and they shall not be stated because they are lazy excuses.
I started gaining weight back when I was... I think 25 or so.

Before that I was sporty, muscular, and overall had a good body. I was never very healthy but considering my state of health, I was doing well.
I did a lot of sports and also had a lot of time.
My BMI was about 26-28 so I've never been skinny but also never fat.

So let's get to today - 7 years later.
Now my BMI is in the obese range at 38 (!!), I am not doing a lot of sport anymore, and I don't have a lot of time anymore.

Activities:
I must say that cycling isn't helping anymore because I cannot cycle for a long time as I have problems with my tail bone. I haven't cycled in about 2 months because my bike broke. But I should have a new one by the end of the month.
I will keep cycling though because I like it. And as soon as my mr is earning his first few pay checks I can also finally sign up to the gym and maybe get some more activity in my day.

But here is the problem.
I have the normal things that very fat people have, I just can't do much and moving is hard because I wobble and my back will hurt.
My muscle mass has degenerated so I cannot rely on muscle anymore.
On top of that I have huge issues with my asthma which is getting worse every year now.

I really do like sports but I don't have the time I used to have anymore. Everything needs to be schedules perfectly to fit in the day. With my daily schedule I'd need about 2 more hours a day so I could fit the same amount of sports in the day.

Food:
When it comes to food, I can easily stop eating sweets (as in candy, chocolate bars, etc) but I do not want to drop the baked yummies. I like to have one baked thing for dessert every day. I usually choose healthy options for all my meals.
I do like snacking and switching to fruit is easy for me because I love fruit. The only time I have to give in to my sweets cravings are the first two days of having the period. I just feel like I need tons of sugar on those days and I don't deny them to myself because for whatever reason it actually helps.
So from the food side, I don't think there is an issue.

I tried some stupid diet regimes before (Dukan, Slimfast, 1000 calorie diet) and all of them worked but none of them are really for me. I lost 12 kilo here and 15 there but always gained them back because I just hate to eat with such weird, superficial rules.

Help me?
So I need some ideas on how to start losing weight because dropping the sweets won't do it alone. Not at my weight.
Is there anybody here with experience who can point me towards stuff that I can maybe do at the gym (once I signed up) that my currently very fat body will be able to do? I have no problem with a hard work out, I am happy to work on it. But there are things that are physically not possible right now.
For example I wanted to start doing push ups again. But apart from the fact that I just have no fucking bizeps and trizeps anymore, also my belly is too fat to let me actually do a proper push up. It's ridiculous for me to even try that.

My goal is to build up very good upper body strength because I have been zip lining twice this year and had to skip the difficult routes because a lot of upper body strength was needed for it. So next summer I want to be fit to do those.

BTW:
I cannot, ever, believe people who are as fat as I am or fatter, who say they are happy with their weight. When every-day things like finding clothes in a normal store or using the toilet become a challenge, when your joints suffer and walking for 5 minutes makes your back hurt as well as breath like a rhinozeros ... When this stuff is in your life because you are fat, you cannot tell me that you are happy with your weight and your body. And this is not "fat-shaming", this is just objective truth.

So yea, anyway, anybody who has some good ideas, some experience with massive weight loss, please feel free to share your ideas for work outs that I can do with my big body to start working towards that six-pack Wink

Cheers
A couple of points. You say you don't have much time anymore. Don't you have 24 hours in the day like the rest of us?
My doctor's office was filled with obese women, he told me the girl who had been in just before me at 24 years old weighed 270 pounds and was there to see if the doctor could tell her why her knees hurt. Because they weren't made to carrythat much damn weight.
29-10-2016, 09:20 PM
(29-10-2016 03:41 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  I'm glad you posted, I'm in the same boat.

The only people I have known to drop weight and actually keep it off all did Weight Watchers.

I've heard good things from people who've done Weight Watchers. It's basically calorie counting except you only count calories that count in multiples of like 100 or 200 or something. Don't see any reason it wouldn't work.

(29-10-2016 03:41 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  I'm like Oprah "I LOVE BREAD" I could happily.....happily...live on bread & water.

You want bread? You bake it yourself. (Bread machines are allowed but discouraged.) You'll eat less of it and enjoy it more. Big Grin

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
30-10-2016, 12:48 AM
(02-10-2016 06:21 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  My friend Helen said that when she realized just because she wanted to put something in her mouth.

You got her #? Wink

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 3 users Like Banjo's post
30-10-2016, 04:56 AM (This post was last modified: 30-10-2016 05:00 AM by Leerob.)
(29-10-2016 04:11 PM)Born Again Pagan Wrote:  A couple of points. You say you don't have much time anymore. Don't you have 24 hours in the day like the rest of us?
My doctor's office was filled with obese women, he told me the girl who had been in just before me at 24 years old weighed 270 pounds and was there to see if the doctor could tell her why her knees hurt. Because they weren't made to carrythat much damn weight.
Yea I have 24 hours. I am not sure how that is a point though. I am a very busy person and my waking time is fully planned. (Although, as you can see here, I am doing what I can)
Yea I have an issue with my left knee but I had it already back when I was 17 and normal weight. We did an MRI and found that there is a reason. So what was the point right there telling me that a random fat lady had knee issues. Thou shall not assume things about people you don't know. Quite honestly, if my doctor told me things about the patient that was in before me, I'd never step foot in his practice again because obviously he does not honour patient confidentiality.

(29-10-2016 03:41 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  I'm glad you posted, I'm in the same boat.

I'm like Oprah "I LOVE BREAD" I could happily.....happily...live on bread & water.

I need to do something, I will be looking back thru this thread often.
Actually I can do fine without bread. Once in a while I want me a slice or so, and I tend to bake it myself then or get one home made bread roll at work. So I agree with Girlyman there Smile It's not like bread is forbidden. The second you make a certain food forbidden, you will crave it even more. Instead just have one instead of five. That is what I do. One for the taste with the knowledge that I can have it again tomorrow if I really want to.
Anyway I will send you a pm with some things that are helping me currently to keep on track. Other than that, you can always have a look at my tracker checker thread where I am documenting everything.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
[+] 2 users Like Leerob's post
30-10-2016, 07:32 AM
it all depends on how fast you want to lose weight. Personally, I don't think it's very good to try to lose weight quickly, because your body needs to adapt to that, and also because it takes time for your body to adapt your metabolism, so if you try some extreme losing weight program, it might work, but your metabolism will reverse to your stable weight as soon as you stop following strictly the diet.

So the basis : more exercise and less calories (what you already do) is the perfect way to do it, and if you give it time, it will work. The only thing : it can take time to see the results. I'm not experienced in trying to lose weight since I've get the reverse problem : I tend to lose weight so I have to strain to keep my current weight. But, it actually works the same way : once my metabolism is stable and my weight is stable, I notice that a change in my diet won't affect my weight immediately. So for instance, if I eat less during a few days, even a couple of weeks, my weight won't be very much affected. But, if I keep that change long enough, then I'll start steadily losing weight. It is the same when I try to eat more, no effect at first, then I see results.

A couple of few years ago, my weight was stable around 76 kg. I made some slight changes in my habits that made me lose 6 kg :

- walking more, simply because I moved to a place with no garden and I need to walk the dog a few times a day.
- I stopped putting sugar in coffee and tea
- I replaced cookies that I took with my coffee with fruit or nothing at all except when I'm really hungry.

I didn't change much the rest of my diet. That's no big changes, but they have had an impact, so what you do will work, I'm sure about that, but it is gonna take time.

I've read that you want to do pushups : that's a good thing, but if you haven't done that in years, you can easily get back pain, and also, it's rather physical, so sometimes it's more the heart that has a hard time following the training rather than the muscles. If you want some home training so you ca do in a first time that is a bit less physical, you can maybe try using dumbbells (not necessarily heavy ones). I've been keeping my body in good shape with them for the last 20 years. There's a lot of exercises that you can do at home to train the different part of your body. It will be then much easier to switch to pushups.
[+] 1 user Likes Sturm's post
30-10-2016, 07:40 AM
(30-10-2016 12:48 AM)Banjo Wrote:  
(02-10-2016 06:21 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  My friend Helen said that when she realized just because she wanted to put something in her mouth.

You got her #? Wink

Banjo Tongue Laughat
[+] 3 users Like jennybee's post
01-11-2016, 09:43 AM
Well, I lost 22 pounds on 45 days by cutting off all sugar and carb (and eating less), that was like 1/10 of my full weight.

I plan to do it again now, after like 6 months.

Is not recommended to make those 0% something diets, but I'm too lazy to make any kind of proper alimentary reeducation.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be.”
-P.C. Hodgell - Seeker’s Mask - Kirien
01-11-2016, 08:46 PM
A couple notes and observations, and perhaps a bit of a ramble Tongue, in addition to all of the above...

In regards to the concept of dieting vs. lifestyle changes, I often feel the need to play devil's advocate. The biggest problem with dieting is the way it's done. You can't just reach your goal, then say mission accomplished and go back to doing whatever you want. That's obvious, and not really contested. That said, the alternative for your casual gym goer / person trying to maintain a healthy weight is the so called lifestyle change, where you pretty much just adapt whatever you perceive to be a healthy diet / routine and stick with it forever. This is certainly a better options, but I think it's worth mentioning that rapid weight loss or weight gain is not necessarily as bad a thing as it's made out to be as per the standard narrative.

Realistically, cycling between periods of fairly rapid weight loss and weight gain, usually as a response to seasonal food availability, is how pretty much all living things have existed for all of history and pre history with the exception of modern humans and their domesticated pets. The metabolic changes that those of us trying to maintain a healthy weight fear might throw us off are there precisely for that reason, as it pertains to survival. While this might not be relevant to most of us given the very different context in which we live, where seasonal scarcity is not the issue it once was, it is nonetheless almost universally accepted among athletes involved in sports where weight management and relative strength are critical factors that distinct cycles are much more effective than a single, unchanging routine.

Body builders generally refer to this as cutting and bulking, but the same concept applies to other sports as well. Even if one has no interest in taking part in such sports, the data available is still worth considering.

Consider this, as an example. A Brazilian jiu jitsu competitor wishing to compete in the heavyweight division mush fall between 190.5+ pounds and 203.5 pounds. This means in order to be most competitive, when it comes time for weigh in they want to be as close to the upper limit as possible without going over. If they are at the lower end, they are statistically likely to be at a strength disadvantage over someone at the higher end. But if they go too high, then they end up in the lower end of the super heavyweight division. Taking into consideration the above mentioned cycling protocol, and the fact that people are generally at their highest relative strength (as compared to maximal strength) when at the lightest end of this cycle, they must micromanage their routine in such a way that they reach their peak at a pre determined period before competition weigh in, then enter a cutting phase so they end up right at around 203.5 pounds just in time for a scheduled weigh in.

For me personally, though I don't actively compete in sanctioned fights (though I do practice jiu jitsu), I do follow a similar protocol. At the lighter end of my cycle, I'm about 195 pounds. This is the point where if I were to continue losing weight I would be losing more muscle mass than I'm willing to lose, with only a small amount of that weight loss being fat. At the heavier end of my cycle, I'm about 220 pounds. This is the point where if I were to continue gaining weight, my muscle mass gain wouldn't be worth the fat gain. The name of the game, thus, is to go into caloric surplus while putting yourself into fitness overdrive to take advantage of the increased metabolism that comes as a result, then when you reach what you define as your peak, go into a caloric deficit to begin trimming off the fat and adjust your fitness routine to focus on minimizing loss of muscle mass during that phase.

Now... I'm not suggesting that everyone micromanage it to that degree. The point is simply that's it's not only possible to do so, but common and not (in my opinion) unhealthy. My advice, even if it is not your intent to turn yourself into a fitness freak, would be to familiarize yourself with the techniques body builders use to manage weight loss in cycles not so much so you can be a bodybuilder yourself, but simply because it works so much better than the fad diets that most people spend their lives failing at.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post