Tips on getting out of the closet

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-10-2012, 08:53 AM
RE: Tips on getting out of the closet
(21-10-2012 08:46 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(21-10-2012 08:42 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  Just a whimsical thought: could you have your brother join you when you tell your dad? Not to team up against your dad, but just be there to support you and make sure your dad is understanding you.
I'll be fine. My brother has never been a theist, he's like Chas (minus the lack of hair and wrinkly skin). Big Grin

I shave. You will, too, when you mature. Laughat

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
21-10-2012, 08:58 AM
(21-10-2012 08:46 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(21-10-2012 08:42 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  Just a whimsical thought: could you have your brother join you when you tell your dad? Not to team up against your dad, but just be there to support you and make sure your dad is understanding you.
I'll be fine. My brother has never been a theist, he's like Chas (minus the lack of hair and wrinkly skin). Big Grin

If you already know you'll be fine, then why are you toying with our lives and emotions with your evidentially meaningless thread. Hobo

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
21-10-2012, 09:05 AM
(21-10-2012 08:58 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(21-10-2012 08:46 AM)Vosur Wrote:  I'll be fine. My brother has never been a theist, he's like Chas (minus the lack of hair and wrinkly skin). Big Grin

If you already know you'll be fine, then why are you toying with our lives and emotions with your evidentially meaningless thread. Hobo
You're dramatizing it. I simply asked for a way to engage the conversation. Walking up to him and going like "'sup dad? I'm an atheist 'n shit. Just so you know. kthxbay" is probably not the best approach. Tongue

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
21-10-2012, 09:07 AM
(21-10-2012 09:05 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(21-10-2012 08:58 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  If you already know you'll be fine, then why are you toying with our lives and emotions with your evidentially meaningless thread. Hobo
You're dramatizing it. I simply asked for a way to engage the conversation. Walking up to him and going like "'sup dad? I'm an atheist 'n shit. Just so you know. kthxbay" is probably not the best approach. Tongue

Yet it would get the job done. Drinking Beverage

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
21-10-2012, 09:26 AM
(21-10-2012 08:52 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(21-10-2012 08:46 AM)morondog Wrote:  Better to do it alone IMO. Gotta stand on own feet.

Bollocks. Who says?

Besides you, that is. Tongue

RESPECT MA AUTHORITAY!
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
21-10-2012, 09:33 AM
T-T-TIMMEHHH

On a serious note, coming out was fairly easy on me. I just told my family. There was slightly more noise about my sexuality, but not so much about my beliefs. So yeah if you don't depend on your family you're set. If you do either play the game or go down guns blazing. Who knows, it might work.

When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.

You cannot successfully determine beforehand which side of the bread to butter.
[+] 1 user Likes Xinoftruden's post
21-10-2012, 11:27 AM
(21-10-2012 09:33 AM)Xinoftruden Wrote:  T-T-TIMMEHHH

On a serious note, coming out was fairly easy on me. I just told my family. There was slightly more noise about my sexuality, but not so much about my beliefs. So yeah if you don't depend on your family you're set. If you do either play the game or go down guns blazing. Who knows, it might work.

This might be a good tactic.
"Dad, I'm an atheist, and I'm gay."

Pause to let the message sink in.

"Ok, so I'm really only bisexual and an atheist."

Pause again.

"I'm just shittin' ya, Dad. I'm just an atheist with a tinge of bi-curiosity."

[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
21-10-2012, 12:25 PM
I never attacked their theology, Vosur, I questioned their metaphysics. I questioned dualism, "This promise of a postmortem preservation of identity seems like bullshit to me Mom, I don't see how it's even imaginable let alone tenable." "It's a matter of faith, Son." "Like I said Mom, bullshit." That was 35 years ago now and it's where we both stand to this day. Big Grin

Breathing - it's more art than science.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
21-10-2012, 01:29 PM
(21-10-2012 12:25 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I never attacked their theology, Vosur, I questioned their metaphysics. I questioned dualism, "This promise of a postmortem preservation of identity seems like bullshit to me Mom, I don't see how it's even imaginable let alone tenable." "It's a matter of faith, Son." "Like I said Mom, bullshit." That was 35 years ago now and it's where we both stand to this day. Big Grin

Don't think I'll ever have the balls to say bullshit to my mama, I'll get klapped so hard I'll become a Christian Ohmy
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
25-10-2012, 05:29 AM
So yeah, I came out to my dad today and unfortunately it didn't went nearly as well as I expected... No

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]