Tired...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-11-2012, 07:12 AM (This post was last modified: 18-11-2012 07:16 AM by Vosur.)
RE: Tired...
(18-11-2012 05:02 AM)Egor Wrote:  Most of them probably aren't atheists either. Shocking

When are you all ever gonig to learn: atheism is self-defeating. The OP can't figure out why people are concerned about her being an atheist or how she became one. It's because they care that you don't become a self-defeating loser. Atheism, no matter how you slice it, leads to a diminished self-esteem. It simply has to. I mean case in point: Bird Guy.

[Image: hZRCi.png]

Is that all you got, Egor? Unsupported generalizations? What about your temper tantrums and insults? You disappoint me. No

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Vosur's post
18-11-2012, 07:41 AM
(18-11-2012 05:02 AM)Egor Wrote:  
(18-11-2012 03:15 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  Deal with it. We are all tired of something. I am tired of my dead end job sitting here night after fucking night logging in drunken visitors to wastes of flesh until 6am in the morning. Tired of trying to go somewhere and going nowhere, while these shitheads that drink excessively somehow continue to hold down jobs where despite being quite immature make far more money than I do. I wish alcohol would kill within a matter of a year if you drink far too much of it.

Most of them probably aren't atheists either. Shocking

When are you all ever gonig to learn: atheism is self-defeating. The OP can't figure out why people are concerned about her being an atheist or how she became one. It's because they care that you don't become a self-defeating loser. Atheism, no matter how you slice it, leads to a diminished self-esteem. It simply has to. I mean case in point: Bird Guy.
No, they don't want her to leave because they believe in the same con that you do. Only, they probably believe it because they were born with it and not some depressed mongoloid like you.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
18-11-2012, 08:14 AM
(18-11-2012 03:15 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  Deal with it. We are all tired of something. I am tired of my dead end job sitting here night after fucking night logging in drunken visitors to wastes of flesh until 6am in the morning. Tired of trying to go somewhere and going nowhere, while these shitheads that drink excessively somehow continue to hold down jobs where despite being quite immature make far more money than I do. I wish alcohol would kill within a matter of a year if you drink far too much of it.
Really? Really???

If you don't have empathy with the OP, why comment? I can't even imagine how this could be taken as constructive criticism.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-11-2012, 08:24 AM
(18-11-2012 05:02 AM)Egor Wrote:  When are you all ever gonig to learn: atheism is self-defeating. The OP can't figure out why people are concerned about her being an atheist or how she became one. It's because they care that you don't become a self-defeating loser. Atheism, no matter how you slice it, leads to a diminished self-esteem. It simply has to. I mean case in point: Bird Guy.

You're cherry-picking. Are you even aware that you are doing this, or is your confirmation bias so strong that you literally didn't notice the positive posts (that is, the posts reflecting a high self-esteem) outnumber the negative ones by 10 to 1? You took one example and pretended that it represented us all, which is not only stereotyping but a blatant disregard for the evidence surrounding this piece of evidence that you chose.

You made a further mistake in equivocating "self-defeating" to be synonymous with "diminished self-esteem". Shame on you.

Let me clarify something here: I'm not suggesting that atheism leads to a high self-esteem. In fact, rational thinking often doesn't. I don't view myself very highly because I'm constantly aware of my mistakes. While this awareness and willingness to correct errors means that I make less and less of them, it doesn't ever lead to perfection. But you'll notice that I'm speaking of rational thinking, not atheism... they're not the same thing, even though they often overlap. Atheists are free to think of themselves highly as people who don't make mistakes or ever say the wrong thing, and you've failed to demonstrate otherwise.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
[+] 1 user Likes Starcrash's post
18-11-2012, 08:31 AM
(18-11-2012 05:02 AM)Egor Wrote:  ...
It's because they care that you don't become a self-defeating loser. Atheism, no matter how you slice it, leads to a diminished self-esteem. It simply has to.

Yeah, well... I get where you are coming from, Ed.
Atheism implies that there is no pre-defined 'purpose' to the universe.
This implies (in many theist's opinion) that atheists are 'purposeless'.
This implies that not having a purpose leads to feelings of worthlessness / valuelessness.

So, one would think that this leads to "diminished self-esteem".

I'm not going to bother pointing out the flaws in that logic (my sig points this out every time I post) but instead I'll point to evidence....

Ed, you know plenty of atheists. Many of those have self-esteem pouring out of every pore and orifice.

If your conclusion is self-evidently incorrect, what does that tell you?

Angel

K37713,
Hug

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
18-11-2012, 09:06 AM (This post was last modified: 18-11-2012 09:10 AM by Erxomai.)
Tired...
(18-11-2012 05:10 AM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  
(18-11-2012 05:02 AM)Egor Wrote:  Most of them probably aren't atheists either. Shocking

Baseless assertions followed by an insult. Drinking Beverage

Weren't you supposed to be improving in terms of attitude?

That was when he stopped being a Christian. He was quite downright likable as a monist, but as soon as Jesus came creeping back around again it was like the devil got back in him. Quite a pity actually. Drinking Beverage

ETA: Oh and Egor, turns out my self-esteem, which was extremely low throughout a lifetime of loving God, got a whole lot better when I realized I was living my life for me and not some Wish in the sky.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 8 users Like Erxomai's post
18-11-2012, 10:14 AM
It gets tiring.

Every sunday my in-laws look down on me for not attending church, though they don't ask me to go anymore. That's something. My kids grandma offers to take her to her "babysitting" church gig every so often. I say no. Let her go once because I really needed someone to watch her and no one was available. Never again.

Eventually they will either get that they should just keep quiet about it, or you will have built up a special tolerance for ignorance that may even surprise you. My patience for people in general went up significantly when my kid popped out, and my patience for theist babble also rose when I was put in a situation of constant bombardment. You can see evidence of my tolerance change right here on the forum. I still don't like it, but I'm past it to an extent. Every once in a while it raises my ire still though.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post
18-11-2012, 10:40 AM
(18-11-2012 03:04 AM)k37713 Wrote:  I am so sick of having a whole conversation with people who say that they want to talk about religion with me...which by the way I usually start off with "you are not going to like what I have to say"..and ending up with people telling me that my extreme upbringing aka Mormonism is responsible for my lack of faith... It's almost as if eyes cloud over when you say that.."Christians" that have never had half a mind to question their own beliefs ..where they came from .. Who they came from..what the history of it..who wrote their so called holy books..look at me like I am just trying to be rebellious. "Ohhhhh.. You grew up Mormon...now I understand"... How is it that no one sees the ridiculousness of their own fairy tale..but somehow they have figured me out.... Ugh..maybe this should go in the rank thread...sorry
Try telling them "you told me why you think I left Mormonism, but said nothing about why I didn't convert to <insert the name of their religion here> or why I should".

Maybe then you'll have something to discuss besides "Ohhhh, Mormonism..."

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
18-11-2012, 10:42 AM

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
18-11-2012, 10:49 AM
"What is in me is above all weariness.
Not of this or of that,
Not even of everything or of nothing:
Weariness itself, just the thing itself,
Weariness.

The subtlety of useless sensations,
The violent passions arising for no reason,
The intense love for that which we suppose in people,
All of these things -
These, and what is eternally lacking in them -
All of this makes for weariness,
This weariness,
Weariness.

There are doubtless those who love the infinite,
There are doubtless those who desire the impossible,
There are doubtless those who don't want anything -
Three types of idealist, and I am none of them:
Because I have infinite love for the finite,
Because I have impossible desire for the possible,
Because I want everything, or a little more, if it can be done
Or even if it can't be done ...

And the result?
For them, the life lived or dreamed,
For them, the dream dreamed or lived,
For them, the median between everything and nothing, that's what, that ...

For me, only a great, a profound,
And oh! with what fruitless happiness, weariness,
A supreme and superlative weariness..."
(not mine)

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post