Tired...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-11-2012, 02:53 PM
RE: Tired...
(18-11-2012 02:19 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(18-11-2012 01:36 PM)guitar_nut Wrote:  Theism, no matter how you slice it, leads to believing you are barely worthy to walk this Earth. It simply has to. I mean case in point: theists.
Except if you're a Calvinist. Drinking Beverage
No, Calvinist = mindless puppet.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-11-2012, 03:38 PM
Come on Chas, give mindless puppets some credit.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
Find all posts by this user
18-11-2012, 03:41 PM
(18-11-2012 03:38 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Come on Chas, give mindless puppets some credit.

No credit, cash only. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
18-11-2012, 03:50 PM
Mindful puppets worry me a lot more.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
18-11-2012, 04:00 PM
(18-11-2012 03:50 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Mindful puppets worry me a lot more.
What's to worry about?

[Image: chucky.jpg]
"He's been sent down from Heaven by Daddy"

"If I ignore the alternatives, the only option is God; I ignore them; therefore God." -- The Syllogism of Fail
[+] 2 users Like Reltzik's post
18-11-2012, 04:15 PM
(18-11-2012 03:41 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(18-11-2012 03:38 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Come on Chas, give mindless puppets some credit.

No credit, cash only. Drinking Beverage
[Image: surprised-clever-girl-l.png]

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
18-11-2012, 07:54 PM

(18-11-2012 05:10 AM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  
(18-11-2012 05:02 AM)Egor Wrote:  Most of them probably aren't atheists either. Shocking

When are you all ever gonig to learn: atheism is self-defeating. The OP can't figure out why people are concerned about her being an atheist or how she became one. It's because they care that you don't become a self-defeating loser. Atheism, no matter how you slice it, leads to a diminished self-esteem. It simply has to. I mean case in point: Bird Guy.
Baseless assertions followed by an insult. Drinking Beverage

Weren't you supposed to be improving in terms of attitude?

Yeah, it didn't take.Smokin
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Egor's post
18-11-2012, 08:12 PM
That much is more than evident from what I've been told of the past...

18-11-2012, 08:47 PM

(18-11-2012 05:14 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  Sir, I would like to see evidence of your assumption that atheism degrades self-esteem.

Look in the mirror. Laughat

(18-11-2012 08:24 AM)Starcrash Wrote:  But you'll notice that I'm speaking of rational thinking, not atheism... they're not the same thing,

Some things just deserve a good bolding. Thumbsup

(18-11-2012 08:31 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Yeah, well... I get where you are coming from, Ed.
Atheism implies that there is no pre-defined 'purpose' to the universe.
This implies (in many theist's opinion) that atheists are 'purposeless'.
This implies that not having a purpose leads to feelings of worthlessness / valuelessness.

So, one would think that this leads to "diminished self-esteem".

I'm not going to bother pointing out the flaws in that logic

Ohmy What flaws? That's exactly right.

Quote:(my sig points this out every time I post) but instead I'll point to evidence....

Your sig says the prupose of a human being is to pass on his or her genetic material.

QED Thumbsup

Quote:Ed, you know plenty of atheists. Many of those have self-esteem pouring out of every pore and orifice.

If your conclusion is self-evidently incorrect, what does that tell you?

Any atheist with any self-esteem has (a) not been an atheist long enough, (b) not considered the implications of atheism, or © doesn't really believe atheism.

(18-11-2012 09:06 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  That was when he stopped being a Christian. He was quite downright likable as a monist, but as soon as Jesus came creeping back around again it was like the devil got back in him. Quite a pity actually. Drinking Beverage

Sorry, but I put reason and truth above your favorable opinion.Yes

Quote:ETA: Oh and Egor, turns out my self-esteem, which was extremely low throughout a lifetime of loving God, got a whole lot better when I realized I was living my life for me and not some Wish in the sky.

Then you're not examining the implications of what you say you believe, and you're not looking correctly at yourself.

(18-11-2012 11:05 AM)Impulse Wrote:  Here's what diminishes self-esteem:

"Kneel before God. You're worthless compared to him."

No, you're worth something because you're worth something to Him. Atheism reduces everything to meaningless matter.

Quote:"Confess all your wrong-doings to that priest and suck up your humiliation. You deserve it anyway."

Your words, not mine.

Quote:"Shame on you for telling that lie. You deserve to burn for eternity for breaking that commandment." [/quote

When did I ever mention the Bible?

[quote](From day 1 on this Earth) "You've done nothing... yet... but you're an abominable sinner anyway..."
"No matter how good you are, you've sinned because everyone does."
"You were born with a disability. God could have created you without one, but didn't. It's because.. um.. well... because you're special. Yeah, that's it."
"You can't understand God because you're intellect is limited."
"You don't like earthquakes, hurricanes, tsunamis, and disease? Too bad, you and all humans did it to yourselves."
"God has everything, but we must sacrifice the little we have to give him more. And actually, you own nothing. It already belongs to God."
"God is perfect. You are imperfect."

The list with religion is endless.

With atheism, there is no list.

You have religious issues. Can't help you with that. With atheism there are no religious issues, because there are no issues that should matter at all. A nuclear holocaust is just the last step in evolution.

(18-11-2012 11:11 AM)Reltzik Wrote:  There, I'm done with that, I've disturbed my calm way, WAY too much for one day (and it's not even 10AM yet), and gone extremely OT in the process.

You need to do deep breathing exercises. Sing happy song. Banana_zorro

Quote:It's just that when I see a person unhappy and other supposed human beings reacting to this like it's blood in the water, I get my hackles up.

What a superhero you are! Bowing

Quote: Egor, if you want to construct a reasonable reply to any of the above, I'll address it in another thread, but not in this one. Sorry to anyone who had to read this but didn't want to. I'll move on to addressing the OP in my next post.

So, you're sorry to me, too? Weeping
Quote this message in a reply
18-11-2012, 08:53 PM
(18-11-2012 08:47 PM)Egor Wrote:  Sorry, but I put reason and truth above your favorable opinion.Yes

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post