Tired...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-11-2012, 09:12 PM
RE: Tired...
(18-11-2012 08:47 PM)Egor Wrote:  
(18-11-2012 05:14 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  Sir, I would like to see evidence of your assumption that atheism degrades self-esteem.

Look in the mirror. Laughat

Actually, I have quite high self-esteem, if not borderline arrogance.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
18-11-2012, 09:33 PM
Oh my, I'm actually finding this to be quite enjoyable. I see a man who is embracing the fact that he can't help but be a total asshole. I can't take this shit seriously if he can't.

Don't change Egor, this is what you are destined to be. Thumbsup

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Tartarus Sauce's post
18-11-2012, 10:00 PM
(18-11-2012 11:05 AM)Impulse Wrote:  Here's what diminishes self-esteem:

"Kneel before God. You're worthless compared to him."

No, you're worth something because you're worth something to Him. Atheism reduces everything to meaningless matter.

Yeah, he supposedly gets something out of people kneeling, praying, and sacrificing but I could never figure out why that would be worth anything to a perfect being who already has everything.

Quote:
Quote:"Confess all your wrong-doings to that priest and suck up your humiliation. You deserve it anyway."

Your words, not mine.

Did I say the words were yours? That one is what Catholicism in particular teaches; maybe not in those exact words, but it is the message one receives regardless.

Quote:
Quote:"Shame on you for telling that lie. You deserve to burn for eternity for breaking that commandment."

When did I ever mention the Bible?

When did this become about you? It was about how religion as opposed to atheism diminishes self-esteem. It's religion that mentions the Bible (well some do).

Quote:
Quote:
(From day 1 on this Earth) "You've done nothing... yet... but you're an abominable sinner anyway..."
"No matter how good you are, you've sinned because everyone does."
"You were born with a disability. God could have created you without one, but didn't. It's because.. um.. well... because you're special. Yeah, that's it."
"You can't understand God because you're intellect is limited."
"You don't like earthquakes, hurricanes, tsunamis, and disease? Too bad, you and all humans did it to yourselves."
"God has everything, but we must sacrifice the little we have to give him more. And actually, you own nothing. It already belongs to God."
"God is perfect. You are imperfect."

The list with religion is endless.

With atheism, there is no list.

You have religious issues. Can't help you with that. With atheism there are no religious issues, because there are no issues that should matter at all. A nuclear holocaust is just the last step in evolution.
No, religion IS the issue. You claimed atheism diminishes self-esteem and I showed how it is religion, not atheism that diminishes self-esteem.

Atheism and issues (or lack thereof) are separate concepts so there are no issues that should matter or not matter. Issues are irrelevant to atheism. But, yes I'm an atheist, and there are plenty of issues that matter to me as a human being living on this Earth. It's just plain silly to think there aren't.

Your last sentence shows a complete lack of understanding of both evolution and atheism. And a nuclear holocaust could just as easily be initiated by religious-minded people as atheists. (If Ahmadinejad gets his way, he just might prove my point.)

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
18-11-2012, 10:15 PM
(18-11-2012 11:11 AM)Reltzik Wrote:  Nice, Starcrash, but you missed a jot. Call a spade a spade, and an act of false witness an act of false witness. I think Egor's abdicated any right of civility to have us to go easy on his feelings.
I never see this as the case. I can always be civil, even to someone who won't give me the same in return. It's not just about Egor's feelings, but about those of the observer... if a theist reads my posts, it's best to give atheism a good name always.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-11-2012, 10:16 PM
"Spare the rod, spoil the anti-intellectual twerp."

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
18-11-2012, 10:17 PM
(18-11-2012 08:24 AM)Starcrash Wrote:  But you'll notice that I'm speaking of rational thinking, not atheism... they're not the same thing,

Some things just deserve a good bolding. Thumbsup

I lectured you about cherry-picking information and ignoring things that conflict with your point-of-view, and you responded by cherry-picking this one sentence? The irony. But we can't pretend it was unexpected.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
[+] 1 user Likes Starcrash's post
19-11-2012, 04:44 AM
Dagnammit. Why did you give me so much editing to do? Grrrrr.

(18-11-2012 08:31 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Yeah, well... I get where you are coming from, Ed.
Atheism implies that there is no pre-defined 'purpose' to the universe.
This implies (in many theist's opinion) that atheists are 'purposeless'.
This implies that not having a purpose leads to feelings of worthlessness / valuelessness.

So, one would think that this leads to "diminished self-esteem".

I'm not going to bother pointing out the flaws in that logic

Ohmy What flaws? That's exactly right.

Let's try an analogy...

I've never liked package holidays... a defined schedule, agenda, purpose.
I always enjoyed grabbing a back-pack, getting on a train and letting the journey unfold.

The universe is on a journey.
It has no predefined destination.
I'm going along for the ride.

(18-11-2012 08:31 AM)DLJ Wrote:  (my sig points this out every time I post) but instead I'll point to evidence....

Your sig says the purpose of a human being is to pass on his or her genetic material.

QED Thumbsup

Yes, and?

(18-11-2012 08:31 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Ed, you know plenty of atheists. Many of those have self-esteem pouring out of every pore and orifice.

If your conclusion is self-evidently incorrect, what does that tell you?

Any atheist with any self-esteem has (a) not been an atheist long enough, (b) not considered the implications of atheism, or © doesn't really believe atheism.

(a) I was born this way
(b) Oooooh! yes I have. It implies freedom and risk. I can handle that.
( c) It is the default position... no 'belief' required.

But then again, I do have self-esteem issues.... too fucking much of it!

Tongue

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
19-11-2012, 05:20 AM
(18-11-2012 03:04 AM)k37713 Wrote:  I am so sick of having a whole conversation with people who say that they want to talk about religion with me...which by the way I usually start off with "you are not going to like what I have to say"..and ending up with people telling me that my extreme upbringing aka Mormonism is responsible for my lack of faith... It's almost as if eyes cloud over when you say that.."Christians" that have never had half a mind to question their own beliefs ..where they came from .. Who they came from..what the history of it..who wrote their so called holy books..look at me like I am just trying to be rebellious. "Ohhhhh.. You grew up Mormon...now I understand"... How is it that no one sees the ridiculousness of their own fairy tale..but somehow they have figured me out.... Ugh..maybe this should go in the rank thread...sorry
I HATE that. I get similar responses from mainstream christians when (if) it is revealed that I grew up as a Jehovah's Witness. Christians tend to view the JW doctrine as a bastardization of "traditional" Christianity, so when I come out as a former JW, they say "No wonder you've rejected God; you never experienced him. Pity." It doesn't matter how strong my arguments were up until that point; the second they find out I was a JW, everything I've said has been completely invalidated. All my claims of having "felt God", of having "truly believed", they toss it all aside because it was the wrong God this whole time.

It doesn't help that the JW doctrine is so close to mainstream Christianity that I just call myself "a former christian" anyway; because even the slightest deviation is enough for them to decide that I had a corrupted view, which "naturally" lead to my atheism.

There's just no winning with some people.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
[+] 1 user Likes Misanthropik's post
19-11-2012, 10:15 AM
I'm not sure how this became a topic on self - esteem.. I was just sharing my annoyance with people who shut down listening to anything I have to say on the religion topic because I reveal I grew up Mormon. Nothing I say after that point matters.. its just a face palming moment -- believe me my self - esteem is just fine.. and I also kinda find my self - esteem being question by EGOR of all people kinda funny.. you switch your religious beliefs as often as Erx changes his underware( hehe-- Laughat ) ... you may want to do some soul-searching for yourself..

Thanks to everyone else for the remarks.. I know I'm not alone in this bs.. it just still gets to me.. and no its not done out of love/understanding or worry -- but as a way to dismiss my thoughts and emotions on the topic.. they no longer have to think about what I've said or have to say.. because " OHHH she used to be Mormon.. I get it now.. she's just jaded on the subject.. she can't help it.. nowww i understand".. UGH

Life is short and hard like a body building elf-- Blood Hound Gang
19-11-2012, 10:26 AM
(19-11-2012 10:15 AM)k37713 Wrote:  I'm not sure how this became a topic on self - esteem.. I was just sharing my annoyance with people who shut down listening to anything I have to say on the religion topic because I reveal I grew up Mormon. Nothing I say after that point matters.. its just a face palming moment -- believe me my self - esteem is just fine.. and I also kinda find my self - esteem being question by EGOR of all people kinda funny.. you switch your religious beliefs as often as Erx changes his underware( hehe-- Laughat ) ... you may want to do some soul-searching for yourself..

Thanks to everyone else for the remarks.. I know I'm not alone in this bs.. it just still gets to me.. and no its not done out of love/understanding or worry -- but as a way to dismiss my thoughts and emotions on the topic.. they no longer have to think about what I've said or have to say.. because " OHHH she used to be Mormon.. I get it now.. she's just jaded on the subject.. she can't help it.. nowww i understand".. UGH
I probably shouldn't share this, but actually, Egor changes his beliefs WAY more often than I change my underwear. Confused

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post