Tis the Season of Giving and Charity (Atheists Need Not Apply)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-12-2013, 11:16 AM
RE: Tis the Season of Giving and Charity (Atheists Need Not Apply)
(25-12-2013 01:54 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  Article located here. Excerpts include...

Quote:
  • A group of Kansas City, Mo., nonbelievers was told their help was not needed after they volunteered to help a local Christian group distribute Thanksgiving meals
  • A $3,000 donation to a Morton Grove, Ill., park, collected by a local atheist group, was returned. Park officials said they did not wish to “become embroiled in a First Amendment dispute.”
  • A group of Spartanburg, S.C., atheists was denied the opportunity to help at a Christian-run soup kitchen. The soup kitchen’s executive director told local press she would resign before accepting the atheists’ help and asked, “Why are they targeting us?”
  • the American Cancer Society, in 2011, turned away $250,000 from the Stiefel Freethought Foundation, a nonprofit dedicated to humanist causes.

Atheists and non-believers are often accused of being immoral, uncharitable, selfish, hateful, etc. However in the above linked article several examples would show that at least some organizations (all listed are Christian) refuse assistance...if the source of assistance happens not to believe in God. I have no words for this really. I do not understand the logic, unless the goal is to continue demonizing atheists.

Any theists in the house care to explain their point of view? Can anyone shed some light on this other than these particular religious organizations are assholes?

It's all about the motives I'm afraid , a lot of those Christian organizations are not in charity business to actually help the needy but to "collect points" with the almighty for "saving souls" and for being good samaritans . Helping those in need of help is more means then an end.
Therefore outside help is seen as a competition, stealing of customers.

Mother Teresa comes to mind...

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Slowminded's post
25-12-2013, 11:59 AM
(25-12-2013 06:56 AM)guitar_nut Wrote:  I'm surprised the American Cancer Society turned down that donation. I wonder if there's more to that story.

That was my first thought too. I wouldn't expect it from the ACS.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
25-12-2013, 12:44 PM
(25-12-2013 11:59 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(25-12-2013 06:56 AM)guitar_nut Wrote:  I'm surprised the American Cancer Society turned down that donation. I wonder if there's more to that story.

That was my first thought too. I wouldn't expect it from the ACS.

Everything you ever wanted to know about the American Cancer Society:

Charity Navigator

Their rating is far lower than I would have thought. [Probably brainwashed from their commercials....]

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
25-12-2013, 04:45 PM
(25-12-2013 02:10 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  Well, the product was alleged to be charity. Obviously, that was not the case.

Oh! Grow, the fuck, up!

The product is club membership.

Check this out:
"The icing on the cake is that just about every major Catholic church, particularly in predominantly Christian Europe, Hong Kong and the Middle East would be almost empty without devout Filipinos. Perhaps, after several more years of wandering in our self-inflicted political-economic desert, we may yet emerge to find ourselves as actually, The Chosen People."
http://fightrhbill.blogspot.sg/2011/03/b...ation.html

Which is why the Church fought so hard to kill the RH Bill.
http://www.theguardian.com/global-develo...nservatism

25-12-2013, 04:47 PM
It's hard to keep saying how awful we (atheists) are when we do good things. It's disturbing if we don't live down to expectations.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
25-12-2013, 04:59 PM
(25-12-2013 01:54 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  Article located here. Excerpts include...

Quote:
  • A group of Kansas City, Mo., nonbelievers was told their help was not needed after they volunteered to help a local Christian group distribute Thanksgiving meals
  • A $3,000 donation to a Morton Grove, Ill., park, collected by a local atheist group, was returned. Park officials said they did not wish to “become embroiled in a First Amendment dispute.”
  • A group of Spartanburg, S.C., atheists was denied the opportunity to help at a Christian-run soup kitchen. The soup kitchen’s executive director told local press she would resign before accepting the atheists’ help and asked, “Why are they targeting us?”
  • the American Cancer Society, in 2011, turned away $250,000 from the Stiefel Freethought Foundation, a nonprofit dedicated to humanist causes.

Atheists and non-believers are often accused of being immoral, uncharitable, selfish, hateful, etc. However in the above linked article several examples would show that at least some organizations (all listed are Christian) refuse assistance...if the source of assistance happens not to believe in God. I have no words for this really. I do not understand the logic, unless the goal is to continue demonizing atheists.

Any theists in the house care to explain their point of view? Can anyone shed some light on this other than these particular religious organizations are assholes?
I can't explain this. I don't want to call them "a...s" but they are very, very WRONG.
100% wrong. They rejected something good. They rejected light of Christ.
Yes, all people have light of Christ. That is why all people have desire to do GOOD.

English is not my native language.
that awkward moment between the Premortal Existence and your Resurrection
25-12-2013, 05:00 PM
If a christian group came here and offered money with the condition that we said we support religion I wouldn't take the money.
Maybe, just maybe, something like that was happening behind the curtain

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
25-12-2013, 05:04 PM
(25-12-2013 04:59 PM)Alla Wrote:  ...
I can't explain this. I don't want to call them "a...s" but they are very, very WRONG.
100% wrong. They rejected something good. They rejected light of Christ.
Yes, all people have light of Christ. That is why all people have desire to do GOOD.

Hey, Jesus!

Got a light, mate?

[Image: sacred-heart-jesus-lighter.jpg]

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
25-12-2013, 05:23 PM
(25-12-2013 04:59 PM)Alla Wrote:  I can't explain this. I don't want to call them "a...s" but they are very, very WRONG.
100% wrong. They rejected something good.

Well, you had it right for THAT much.

Quote:They rejected light of Christ.

Then you got back into your batshit programmed brainwashed twattery. Too bad. Rolleyes

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
25-12-2013, 05:39 PM
(25-12-2013 12:44 PM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  
(25-12-2013 11:59 AM)Dom Wrote:  That was my first thought too. I wouldn't expect it from the ACS.

Everything you ever wanted to know about the American Cancer Society:

Charity Navigator

Their rating is far lower than I would have thought. [Probably brainwashed from their commercials....]

The low rating is mostly due to bad financial management, but contributions do end up going to the intended recipients apparently. So it's not so bad, they just need a good financial consultant.

I never thought this was a Christian organization, and am still surprised they rejected the atheist contribution.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man