Tis the Season of Giving and Charity (Atheists Need Not Apply)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-12-2013, 05:43 PM
RE: Tis the Season of Giving and Charity (Atheists Need Not Apply)
(25-12-2013 05:04 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(25-12-2013 04:59 PM)Alla Wrote:  ...
I can't explain this. I don't want to call them "a...s" but they are very, very WRONG.
100% wrong. They rejected something good. They rejected light of Christ.
Yes, all people have light of Christ. That is why all people have desire to do GOOD.

Hey, Jesus!

Got a light, mate?

[Image: sacred-heart-jesus-lighter.jpg]

SmileI appreciate humor. Really.

English is not my native language.
that awkward moment between the Premortal Existence and your Resurrection
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-12-2013, 05:45 PM
(25-12-2013 05:23 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(25-12-2013 04:59 PM)Alla Wrote:  I can't explain this. I don't want to call them "a...s" but they are very, very WRONG.
100% wrong. They rejected something good.

Well, you had it right for THAT much.

Quote:They rejected light of Christ.
Yes, all people have light of Christ. That is why all people have desire to do GOOD.

Then you got back into your batshit programmed brainwashed twattery. Too bad. Rolleyes
OK. How about instead of "light of Christ" I will call it "ability to know good and to do good"? For example "to help those who can not help themselves". To help widow or orphan because of compassion for them.

English is not my native language.
that awkward moment between the Premortal Existence and your Resurrection
[+] 1 user Likes Alla's post
25-12-2013, 05:57 PM
(25-12-2013 05:45 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(25-12-2013 05:23 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  Well, you had it right for THAT much.

Then you got back into your batshit programmed brainwashed twattery. Too bad. Rolleyes
OK. How about instead of "light of Christ" I will call it "ability to know good and to do good"? For example "to help those who can not help themselves". To help widow or orphan because of compassion for them.

Oh, look -- welcome to the REAL WORLD, Alla!

Thumbsup

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
26-12-2013, 12:27 AM
I don't really give a shit one way or another if you call being a good and generous person "Moral", "Charitable", "Light of Christ", "Chakra of Vishnu", or "Spirit of Beelzebub". As long as you have it, you're good person in my book. Now, if only those Christians with their heads (along with their thumbs) up their ass would feel the same way, there would be a lot lest tension between us, and a better world for it on more than one level. Eh, but since when did I know great from good, and good from bad?

Yeah, DLJ, you got the right to call me naive, or wishful, or both. When I see a person doing a good deed, my heart does melt a little and I blind myself to ulterior motives especially when reasonable doubt and subterfuge play a role. I really do want people to be good. Seems to be a lot easier to do without a god's influence. When I see these sort of shenanigans it really makes me want to start pulling monkeys off people's back. Instead I stare, deadpan, as the little man points fingers in both directions and tells me "He went thataway!".

[+] 3 users Like Dark Light's post
26-12-2013, 01:54 AM
Posting here so I can bookmark this thread for skype discussions I have with some buddies. Carry on

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
26-12-2013, 09:32 PM
(26-12-2013 12:27 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  ...
a lot less tension between us, and a better world for it

Dude, I was just teasing you. I thought you were being sarcastic.

Meanwhile... I enjoyed your christmas message to the world:
Hope, charity but no faith... bravo!

27-12-2013, 01:39 AM
Oh, come on. You should no by now, I cannot stay silent in the face of an accusation. Cannot do it....unless it's completely beyond the absurd and painfully obviously false. (e.g. You aren't beautiful, you aren't brilliant, I don't love everything about you, you aren't humble, et al)

27-12-2013, 10:36 AM
(25-12-2013 01:54 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  Article located here. Excerpts include...

Quote:
  • A group of Kansas City, Mo., nonbelievers was told their help was not needed after they volunteered to help a local Christian group distribute Thanksgiving meals
  • A $3,000 donation to a Morton Grove, Ill., park, collected by a local atheist group, was returned. Park officials said they did not wish to “become embroiled in a First Amendment dispute.”
  • A group of Spartanburg, S.C., atheists was denied the opportunity to help at a Christian-run soup kitchen. The soup kitchen’s executive director told local press she would resign before accepting the atheists’ help and asked, “Why are they targeting us?”
  • the American Cancer Society, in 2011, turned away $250,000 from the Stiefel Freethought Foundation, a nonprofit dedicated to humanist causes.

Atheists and non-believers are often accused of being immoral, uncharitable, selfish, hateful, etc. However in the above linked article several examples would show that at least some organizations (all listed are Christian) refuse assistance...if the source of assistance happens not to believe in God. I have no words for this really. I do not understand the logic, unless the goal is to continue demonizing atheists.

Any theists in the house care to explain their point of view? Can anyone shed some light on this other than these particular religious organizations are assholes?
I blame God.

First commandment (or first two, depending on the Bible version):
I am the lord they god and thou shalt not have other gods before me"
(not an exact quote)

Where in the 10 Commandments does it say "thou shalt help the poor/sick/homeless/enslaved/mentally ill/disabled"?

It doesn't. Dodgy

But there are more commandments dedicated to making sure god gets plenty of attention from us submicroscopic beings like not taking gawd's name in vain and keeping the sabbath holy. God thinks these are far more important and so (some of) his followers agree. Dodgy I'm sure when God looks out over the universe, squints to see some tiny humans on their knees, strains to hear their squeaky voices singing his praises and making this a higher priority than helping out others that he left to starve and/or suffer, he is pleased.

That's what some believe anyway. Angry

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post